test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is the game so difficult now?

coolfatburnercoolfatburner Member Posts: 10 Arc User
I just came back after years away, lvl 60 was the max back then.

I spent a day or so running through quests, getting to lvl 70, and getting newer gear. Still not optimized of course. And I'd already had most of the boons (Icedale, Dread ring, Sharandar) completed from back then. But it was more or less fun and was looking forward to playing again for a while.

As of now, there are too many encounters that are either not beatable, or I have to go thru too many healing potions to do it (and will soon be running out). I'm on those floating islands, and it's nearly impossible to beat two giants at once. (I'm a CW).

I wondered if my gear still wasn't good enough, did some searching, and it looks like A LOT of people online are complaining of the difficulty level of many encounters in NWO nowadays.

WTH was this done? Is it supposed to be 'fun' to have to have an absolutely perfect performance and still maybe not survive and have to start all over? When I was here at lvl 60, I could do pretty much anything in the game, so long as I played well. Now it seems like playing well has nothing to do w/ it. I guess I'm supposed to grind and/or P2W to get top gear and upgrades, and then and only then go back and actually be able to survive this stuff?

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    It is fun, try doing elemental evil campaign and getting an augment!!
    read this guide too
    arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/551341/spellstorm-renegade-guide-death-is-the-best-crowd-control/p1
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,238 Arc User
    solbergx said:

read this guide too
    arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/551341/spellstorm-renegade-guide-death-is-the-best-crowd-control/p1

He is doing EE. That is why he said:

I'm on those floating islands, and it's nearly impossible to beat two giants at once.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    solbergx said:

read this guide too

By augment, you mean boon? I already have Dread Ring, Sharandar, and Icewind Dale all maxed, and 1/2 of the Dragon boons completed from before when 60 was the cap. And like I'd mentioned, I was already a pretty good CW back then, having no problem w/ most content in the game.

Something has changed, and not for the better.

• Options
    edited December 2016

solbergx said:

read this guide too

By augment, you mean boon? I already have Dread Ring, Sharandar, and Icewind Dale all maxed, and 1/2 of the Dragon boons completed from before when 60 was the cap. And like I'd mentioned, I was already a pretty good CW back then, having no problem w/ most content in the game.

Something has changed, and not for the better.

He was talking about augment companion such as stone, cat, chicken, goat, etc. The augment companion (which does not fight) transfers all the normal stat to your character.

Did you change your gear? The old good level 60 BiS gear means nothing now. You need at least the HAMSTER green/blue gear you pick up on the ground to replace the 'best' Epic stuff you had before.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

He was talking about augment companion such as stone, cat, chicken, goat, etc. The augment companion (which does not fight) transfers all the normal stat to your character.

Ah that's right, I forgot about those. TBH not sure that would make enough difference. I'm not even getting close w/ those 2 giants, for example. It's a joke. A Control Wizard fighting two giants immune to control effects and who spam throw boulders at me until I'm dead.

Hell the Balor in the dwarven level, I couldn't even fight it. A bunch of cheesy one-hit-kills. I just stood back and watched my comp and the two NPCs fight it.

• Options

Ah that's right, I forgot about those. TBH not sure that would make enough difference. I'm not even getting close w/ those 2 giants, for example. It's a joke. A Control Wizard fighting two giants immune to control effects and who spam throw boulders at me until I'm dead.

Hell the Balor in the dwarven level, I couldn't even fight it. A bunch of cheesy one-hit-kills. I just stood back and watched my comp and the two NPCs fight it.

The new crappy gear you get has HP. What is your HP now?
  • Options

THB not sure... I noticed that too, that everything I was getting (quest rewards) had far more hitpoints, but usually lesser of everything else I'd had from years ago (I used to run w/ PvP gear actually).

At this point, I just logged out. Too many other options out there. Hell, I've never even played WoW, might give it a try. I also have like 70 games purchased on Steam I've never even installed yet.

Best of luck.

• Options

THB not sure... I noticed that too, that everything I was getting (quest rewards) had far more hitpoints, but usually lesser of everything else I'd had from years ago (I used to run w/ PvP gear actually).

At this point, I just logged out. Too many other options out there. Hell, I've never even played WoW, might give it a try. I also have like 70 games purchased on Steam I've never even installed yet.

Best of luck.

If you hold onto what you had (those fancy epic gear) and not replace them with the crappy gear to get the HP, yes, you will have pretty tough time to survive. Another big one is you have to invest to life steal. Since you left, this is moot.
  • Options
    fjdkslsfjdksls Member Posts: 36 Arc User

As of now, there are too many encounters that are either not beatable, or I have to go thru too many healing potions to do it (and will soon be running out). I'm on those floating islands, and it's nearly impossible to beat two giants at once. (I'm a CW).

CW here, too, and you're correct. You can be extremely squishy if you're not built well. I'd encourage you to do a few things:

1) Join a guild (if you haven't already) - as valuable as these forums are, you'll find a lot more people who can help you work through any issues in-game, as it happens. Likewise, you should be able to find people within the guild who can help you work through the zone encounters.

2) Do some digging for CW builds. MMOminds has some good examples, and I'm happy to share what I've used. Just PM/DM me. Just doing a re-spec took me from being turned into a puddle by anything and everything in Spinward rise to being able to effectively solo the zone.

3) Check your equipment. If you've been gone for a while, you're probably due for an upgrade. Likewise, there were some recent nerfs that could make what you've got completely obsolete. For example, if you're rocking a High Vizier's set, you'll need to get rid of that pretty quickly. Likewise if you have any legacy Lostmauth equip. The EE reward main-hand and off-hand equipment are all now makeable in professions, so you should be able to find them in the AH rather than slagging through encounters trying to get those motes.

4) Feel free to post/list your equipment and boons. We may be able to help with a couple simple (or even unfinished) things, even down to what you've got slotted.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    If you decide to try again, open up the campaign window and look at the Sharandar and Dread Ring stores. There are armor seta in either that you can purchase with campaign currency that scale to your current level and will be better than the green loot you find or the EE campaign rewards. Sharandar also has the Fey weapons which will serve you well until you get the starter artifact set. Dread Ring has old level 60 artifact belt and neck items under the legacy tab. These are an improvement over normal gear until you can get the level 70 kind, at which point you can feed the level 60s into the 70s.

As for fighting giants as a CW, slot single target powers and Icy Terrain. Keep moving, kite the giants so that they are always standing on your ice and wait for them to lock into a long animation,then unload with the single target powers. (I avoid Chill Strike because of its animation time but others like it)

With the extra HP of the new gear and by staying mobile, you should do much better. The same can be said of the Balor in Maze Engine, though it might have a charge attack. Slot Radiant enchants in your defense slots. Life Steal is great but hard to get at effective levels unless you're in a guild. You will probably want Darks for offense, to get your Armor Pen at a decent level.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    valon79#4291 valon79 Member Posts: 20 Arc User

I spent a day or so running through quests, getting to lvl 70, and getting newer gear. Still not optimized of course. And I'd already had most of the boons (Icedale, Dread ring, Sharandar) completed from back then. But it was more or less fun and was looking forward to playing again for a while.

I wondered if my gear still wasn't good enough, did some searching, and it looks like A LOT of people online are complaining of the difficulty level of many encounters in NWO nowadays.

WTH was this done? Is it supposed to be 'fun' to have to have an absolutely perfect performance and still maybe not survive and have to start all over? When I was here at lvl 60, I could do pretty much anything in the game, so long as I played well. Now it seems like playing well has nothing to do w/ it. I guess I'm supposed to grind and/or P2W to get top gear and upgrades, and then and only then go back and actually be able to survive this stuff?

Am I missing something?

I'm not sure survival isnt to bad for me as OP but killing things is a pain, seems im fighting to the quest just before the quest and them same on the way out and not 3-6 mobs 12-20 of them b/c it takes so long to kill i get more spawns and thanks to 90% of OP damage is aoe it draws all mobs close by.

Most places its not to bad but im in The Firey Pit and its crazy, i left it and came back after i got to 70 and currently 2k IL and its still a pain. I mean its hard for me to die but really who wants to spent that long on quests. I roughly have 20 hours in on The Fiery pit alone and not even 1/2 done. I completed the other 3 in that time. I pushed past the lacking of OP even though i heard many times to roll a different class due to the nerf, just thought it was ppl being well ppl. I am using a build(about the only one for 10.5)and pretty well geared.

So before i pack it in any advice, starting a new character is out im not starting all over b/c a class is broke.
  • Options
    jase2cooljase2cool Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User

Am I missing something?

Hi and welcome back,
    A lot has changed since you left, my suggestion is ...

Get latest update on your character class check out class forum,
    that's where you can get many good advises on class mechanics and build .
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/categories/the-library

then get yourself into a guild there are lots of nice and helpful people still in NWO.

From there you can get guides, guild boons( bonus stats) also gearing help.
    Go guild shoping at http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/categories/guild-recruitment-pc
  • Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Do you have icy veins? it helps a lot on those levels!!
  • Options
    stevedudemanstevedudeman Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited December 2016

"THB not sure... I noticed that too, that everything I was getting (quest rewards) had far more hitpoints, but usually lesser of everything else I'd had from years ago (I used to run w/ PvP gear actually).

Best of luck."

Seems to me this thread can now be closed
  • Options
    sonji#4352 sonji Member Posts: 50 Arc User

Am I missing something?

Actually you are definitely missing something. A couple very important somethings by the sounds of it. and your not the only one as seen by the comment that states
    "Yup my OP and TR 3.3 & 2.8 IL's are the only 2 that can solo regular endgame maps. Op is much easier than a TR , Tr can do it but its much more work than the OP. The rest of my Alts have around 2.5 IL and struggle my HR can do some along with my DC
    It's like they try to force you to play in a group and most times I don't have time to sit and wait and spam. "

IDK how people think end game content is hard. I started a OP and walked him through solo the entire SoMI map. and that was before runetroll fix. his IL even now is barely over 2k. My GF soloed the same area...much easier since he was a 2.6 doing it. oc those are tanks and have decent DR...on the other hand i just finished it on my lovely SW with a 2.3IL and just ensorc weapons and did almost all of it solo. so maybe SWs are OPed but that wouldnt explain my 1.9 CW doing this with no issues. is it the same as a lvl 70 walking through cloak tower? no it actually takes a little skill on the players half to do so. So IDK what you guys are missing, but there is definitely something.
  • Options
    sonji#4352 sonji Member Posts: 50 Arc User

Best of luck.

I wouldnt recomend "going to wow". that is a solid 2-300 dollar startup now. its not like you can just buy Legion and start playing. If you just buy vanilla you will be in the same boat when you upgrade to WotLK, MoP, etc but be out a lot more money. Honestly it is a lot easier to just go to Spinward rise and do that quest line. The gear you get will be more than enough to suffice untill you can focus on the newer endgame items.

If you start with Reclamation Rock you should easily get enough Mid end gear to get you through SR and REc rock takes a couple hours tops to complete. especially if you have the old 60 endgame pvp sets
  • Options
    arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    try leveling up doing dungeons or go to guild stronghold and kill wolfs and bears, using xp boon and azures in utility slots, leave EE to do after u reach level 70, also underdark intro and maze engine intro help level up. i never worried about completing EE
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited December 2016

"THB not sure... I noticed that too, that everything I was getting (quest rewards) had far more hitpoints, but usually lesser of everything else I'd had from years ago (I used to run w/ PvP gear actually).

Best of luck."

Seems to me this thread can now be closed

I agree. /end thread.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
This discussion has been closed.