test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TR seems too squishy

I'm just getting in to end game with a TR.
I get the feeling they are way too squishy!
Other close range dps at least get some defense and the rest of the dps hang back at ranged distance.
TR has to be up close and deal with way more danger than a ranged dps but don't seem much more resilient.
Anyone else feel this?

Their single target dps can be great but isn't enough to make up for lack of AoE.
It would be GREAT if at-wills didn't drain stealth, I think that would be enough to counter lack of AoE and having to avoid so much danger.

Comments

• Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I use a Barkshield armor enchantment on mine. It absorbs 3 hits then takes a short while to recharge. I found it effective as I take relatively few hits but they hurt when they land so this was a good offset.

Bear in mind that TR's have a lot more deflect severity than other classes - getting that high means you can avoid 75% of incoming damage and bounce it back on your attacker(s).
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Bear in mind that TR's have a lot more deflect severity than other classes - getting that high means you can avoid 75% of incoming damage and bounce it back on your attacker(s).

Just to note that deflect is not damage reflect. By itself it wont bounce back damage.
  • Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    Soulforged it your friend - as is stacking deflect and doing lots of bobbing and weaving
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

armadeonx said:

Just to note that deflect is not damage reflect. By itself it wont bounce back damage.
    You're right of course Micky, please excuse my stupidity lol
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    edomacedomac Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    IMO they were much better back few years ago when I played on PC. Since playing on PS4 and being away from NW for couple years I noticed that TR don't serve a purpose as they once did. TR great if you like PVP but in the PVE aspect they are overlooked when LFG cause there is much better DPS to chose from. I love my TR and he is my main, i dont really Plat PVP so I am hoping there will be some changes in PVE TR so we can be an asset to our groups.
  • Options
    kinganuthinkinganuthin Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Hopefully you took some of the defensive feats.. More health, deflect...
    There are some self healing boons. Take those instead of the occational 20k damage.
    My TR is usually the last to die in a wipe, and finishes a Mdemo gold with 0 deaths.
    They are actually strong survivors when used right.
  • Options
    kroogerfxxkroogerfxx Member Posts: 9 Arc User

Hopefully you took some of the defensive feats.. More health, deflect...

There are some self healing boons. Take those instead of the occational 20k damage.

My TR is usually the last to die in a wipe, and finishes a Mdemo gold with 0 deaths.

They are actually strong survivors when used right.

How do you do as far as DPS goes? Keep up with everyone else and still have survivability?
  • Options
    Always top 5 in Tia. 2-3 mdemo
  • Options
    I went heavy deflect/Armorpen and crit. I paid zero attention to defense because I knew the TR would never get enough to make a difference. Add the heavy deflect with the soulforged and I hold up pretty well
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    crowdsourced#3904 crowdsourced Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    You need to learn how to manage stealth
  • Options
    Three of us were discussing the routes we went last night - I went Deflect, our pvp friend went heavier defense and the third had gone for a permastealth.

The guy who went defense spends a lot of time manually dodging/rolling in and out of combat - and he's very good at it. He doesn't die often.

I went deflect (almost at 100% before bonding) and added soul forged - I still do a lot of dodging but I rarely get hit. When I do get hit I die instantly (thus the soulforged) but even in CN when the floor flips I can stand there in the spikes and deflect most of that damage.

Our perma-stealth friend is still finding his way and dislikes the amount of dying he does. He is currently planning on swapping his shadowclad for a soulforged to see if that makes it better.

• Options
    grandpaogre#4159 grandpaogre Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Something to consider is boosting recovery and stealth recharge. there's a youtube video by mimime (not sure on the spelling) where he's got recovery and AP so that he's one shotting most minions or constantly doing his dailies.

With the right amount of recovery/slealth recharge and using Impossible to Catch", you can be invincible for a good part of the time.

Path of Blade can provide some help. I had my recovery so that it was ready to reuse before the power turned off. It just sucks because it aggros everything and there's no way to turn it off, that I know of.

I'm currently on my 6th or 7th rebuild, lol. What I'm running is Dazing Strike, Shadow Strike, and Lashing Blade with Duelist Furry and Whirlwind of Blades. I go stealth, either use Whirlwind and then Daze, then Shadow Strike, go stealth again and follow with Lashing Blade. With a high enough control bonus, you can enter the part of Duelist Flurry that keeps you from taking damage. Or I go stealth, use Daze, then Shadow, go stealth, Whirlwind and then Lashing Blade. My feats are set to do more damage the less health there is. It's still a work in progress but I'm getting more comfortable with this set up.

Something else to do, is let the tank(s)/GFs go in first and draw the aggro, Also, try to let CWs to freeze the group.

But yes, it's like a sponge for an inclose DPS'er. Good Luck
  • Options
    null
    There is no part of duelist flurry that keeps you from taking damage.
  • Options

null

There is no part of duelist flurry that keeps you from taking damage.

The 2 middle steps of DF have kept me from taking any damage at all... the 1st and 4th hit don't though. I have used those two sec to take lazers from lostmauth, hits from scorpions and taken a club to the head from Orcus all with no damage if I time it right. My other friends who have TR's have the same experience.

• Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Build the rogue for stealth and you will have an easier time with that class. I see so many Rogues forgoing Stealth builds for pure melee DPS builds. What many players forget the up in your face DPS build is the GWF and not the TR. The TR is best suited to play in stealth which improves their DPS and the ability to survive.

• Options

Build the rogue for stealth and you will have an easier time with that class. I see so many Rogues forgoing Stealth builds for pure melee DPS builds. What many players forget the up in your face DPS build is the GWF and not the TR. The TR is best suited to play in stealth which improves their DPS and the ability to survive.

Exactly this. Not only does it give you utility, slightly better sustained dps, and better survivability, it keeps you from being yet another copy/paste TR running an executioner build. I have no issues when I solo content with my TR. Of course, getting caught sleeping means certain/near death, but that's really the case with any DPS class. Except GWF obviously. Only class besides pally that I could solo Vault of the Nine with being a fresh lvl 60.
    Stealth certainly helps. You can have Executioner build and have a stealth build.
    I use Shadow Strike instead of Lashing blade.
    I came to this switch when looking at 4 things: Arterial Cut, Last Moments, Cunning Ambusher, and 100% crit while in stealth.. Tested on a dummy. DPS went up with long term combat, especially after i ditched a lot of crit in favor of power.

A lot of my survivability comes from boons as well. Many get the 20k damage boons, instead of the heal.. Mistake.
    Guild defense boons are a huge part.
    A big part is also Bonding runes, while having rings with defensive slots on companion.

• Options
    null
    ITC? Do other classes have feats that boost deflection and life steal? Staying alive just hasn't been an issue to me. CW on the other hand... Good grief..
  • Options
    ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I do well on my TR, but I have massive deflect(for a tweener 2.6k) and an orange seige ring+earth weapons, so there's that. I barely have 1k in the actual defense stat itself though.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • Options
    I don't have a lot of issues staying alive unless I do something dumb. I can get right in the middle of battle UNLESS there are AOE's happening. It's a lot harder to deflect an AOE, and those will get me if I don't pay attention and dodge.

From what I understand my deflect is over 100% with bonding so I guess I'm pretty hard to hit. (Orcus missed me 3 times in a row yesterday)

• Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

Exactly this. Not only does it give you utility, slightly better sustained dps, and better survivability, it keeps you from being yet another copy/paste TR running an executioner build. I have no issues when I solo content with my TR. Of course, getting caught sleeping means certain/near death, but that's really the case with any DPS class. Except GWF obviously. Only class besides pally that I could solo Vault of the Nine with being a fresh lvl 60.
    You have soloed Vault of Nine with both of my toons one of couse is a GF and the other is a DC, both have the ability to solo due to tanking or healing abilities.
  • Options
    regizaki#8947 regizaki Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    I've noticed that with the TR it's on a 6 sec cycle. I usually roll in use stealth, smoke bomb, daze and proc shadow of demise, followed by 2x stacks of duelist flurry to have a 50% to stack bleed and start the process over a again. I noticed in most mobs I usually kill the soft targets first to get my procs started and I use Lukers assault for bosses and whirling blades for mobs.
    <3 Shadow Pixies <3