test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PS4] Control Wizard DOES have a party role, but...

metalicum1metalicum1 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
A few weeks back I posted a rather negative "review" of the Control Wizard class. The community response was pretty much in agreement with me, but some people insisted that I am wrong. Their arguments turned out to be quite convincing, and after a while I essentially ended up disagreeing with myself and my initial post. I also gained a lot of stats since the post which helped me to understand several things about the class. (Its' power grows almost exponentially, not linearly with your stats, since a lot of your damage and buffs proc of crit strikes)

However, there are still many problems with the class, several things that really needs to be addressed before I'm really happy with the overall power ad utility of the class.

1) Oppressor path aka Control wizard can't control HAMSTER. The most blatant problem right now is that there are only 2 paths to take, Oppressor is not an option. But this might be and overall game problem rather than isolated CW problem.
2) Spreading that Smolder.
I really hate the class feature Critical Conflagration. It is schizophrenic. One the one hand, you have a reliable passive spread of smolder that can cover huge AoE area. On the other hand you have a dmg buff. But here is the problem, either you need one, or you need the other. As a pure buff build, you take that feature for the reliable and quick spread of smolder, but you don't care about the other half. As a MoF Thaum, you take it for the crit severity rather than smolder spread (even though that's quite handy too).
My idea is to make this feature fully committed to one play style. Since the buff build already have 2 good features (swath + comb.), you can boost the crt severity: You strike with 30% crit severity if your target is affected by smolder.
However, you need new way how to spread smolder. That's why they should drastically rework fanning the flame, which is currently also schizophrenic.
My idea is to make this power "the Icy Terrain of MoF". Large area of effect, almost no damage, no target limit, and everyone in the area gets smolder. This would be great for a buff build, which would be able to run with the swath + comb. withour worrying about manually applying smolder by scorching burst or old FtF. For a Thaum build it would require an effort to apply smolder without this power, so that it can proc the crit severity buff from my version of Crit conflagration.
3) Chilling presence. I think that DPS-wise CW is in a good place (only with powerful gear). It is competitive, but not overpowered. Chilling presence, however, is overpowered. I have no idea what do with it, since nerfing its' damage seems too easy as a way out of the problem, and it would create overall balance issue with the class DPS. Rather I would like to see some kind of change that would require skill to get it work, rather then spam icy terrain with Icy Veins, which doesn't require anything but pushing one button to get the full 96% (48%).
My idea would be to add some kind of a trigger to it (must have combat advantage, only your crit strikes, or something like this). Having such bonus "for free" is just too much, and it makes other class features obsolete for everyone but pure support builds.
4) No set bonus for CW aka Valindra bonus is laughable. Currently the best option for a CW (some disagree but not many) is a combination of a Lost neck and a Valindra belt. I would really love this to change, I would like to have a set in the game which would have some synergy with at least 1 playable build. that would be nice, wouldn't be.
My idea is to make a set which would make applying of state (chill, smolder, not duration of those) easier without buffing your dmg and also make your AoE more powerful without buffing your dmg. For example the set could increase range of your AoE spells, or spread all effects i. certain range on hit.

Aris Meyde CW MoF Renegade

[PS4] Alliance - House Stargaryen

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

A few weeks back I posted a rather negative "review" of the Control Wizard class. The community response was pretty much in agreement with me, but some people insisted that I am wrong. Their arguments turned out to be quite convincing, and after a while I essentially ended up disagreeing with myself and my initial post. I also gained a lot of stats since the post which helped me to understand several things about the class. (Its' power grows almost exponentially, not linearly with your stats, since a lot of your damage and buffs proc of crit strikes)

However, there are still many problems with the class, several things that really needs to be addressed before I'm really happy with the overall power ad utility of the class.

1) Oppressor path aka Control wizard can't control HAMSTER. The most blatant problem right now is that there are only 2 paths to take, Oppressor is not an option. But this might be and overall game problem rather than isolated CW problem.
    2) Spreading that Smolder.
    I really hate the class feature Critical Conflagration. It is schizophrenic. One the one hand, you have a reliable passive spread of smolder that can cover huge AoE area. On the other hand you have a dmg buff. But here is the problem, either you need one, or you need the other. As a pure buff build, you take that feature for the reliable and quick spread of smolder, but you don't care about the other half. As a MoF Thaum, you take it for the crit severity rather than smolder spread (even though that's quite handy too).
    My idea is to make this feature fully committed to one play style. Since the buff build already have 2 good features (swath + comb.), you can boost the crt severity: You strike with 30% crit severity if your target is affected by smolder.
    However, you need new way how to spread smolder. That's why they should drastically rework fanning the flame, which is currently also schizophrenic.
    My idea is to make this power "the Icy Terrain of MoF". Large area of effect, almost no damage, no target limit, and everyone in the area gets smolder. This would be great for a buff build, which would be able to run with the swath + comb. withour worrying about manually applying smolder by scorching burst or old FtF. For a Thaum build it would require an effort to apply smolder without this power, so that it can proc the crit severity buff from my version of Crit conflagration.
    3) Chilling presence. I think that DPS-wise CW is in a good place (only with powerful gear). It is competitive, but not overpowered. Chilling presence, however, is overpowered. I have no idea what do with it, since nerfing its' damage seems too easy as a way out of the problem, and it would create overall balance issue with the class DPS. Rather I would like to see some kind of change that would require skill to get it work, rather then spam icy terrain with Icy Veins, which doesn't require anything but pushing one button to get the full 96% (48%).
    My idea would be to add some kind of a trigger to it (must have combat advantage, only your crit strikes, or something like this). Having such bonus "for free" is just too much, and it makes other class features obsolete for everyone but pure support builds.
    4) No set bonus for CW aka Valindra bonus is laughable. Currently the best option for a CW (some disagree but not many) is a combination of a Lost neck and a Valindra belt. I would really love this to change, I would like to have a set in the game which would have some synergy with at least 1 playable build. that would be nice, wouldn't be.
    My idea is to make a set which would make applying of state (chill, smolder, not duration of those) easier without buffing your dmg and also make your AoE more powerful without buffing your dmg. For example the set could increase range of your AoE spells, or spread all effects i. certain range on hit.

1. Agree with you on most Oppressor CWs in that the "C" in "CW" is a misnomer: they don't control jack.

But there actually is a really werid reason to take an Oppressor. MoF Oppressor actually has a really weird niche (not sure you'd call it viable) of a support character ala MoF Renegade. As a MoF Oppressor, you can keep up Rimfire on your target fairly easy with Icy Veins and apply buffs to your team like Controlled Momentum or Frigid Winds.

Note that MoF Oppressor only beats out MoF Renegades if your party can keep up Combat Advantage 24/7 (HR with Aspect of the Pack or GF who makes an effort to mark stuff) without Nightmare Wizardry and if your team has 100% Crit without Uncertain Allegiance. Yes, one of the Chaos Magics beats out Controlled Momentum in terms of a raw damage buff, but Chaos magic is RNG and we all know how fickle the RNG Goddess can be.
    2. What's wrong with Critical Conflagration being really good? It's not like the CW doesn't already "have a monopoly on the best class features in the game" (Sharpedge's CW Guide).
    3. Eh, neutral on Chilling Prescence.
    4. I like your idea of CWs being able to get a set which increases their range or AoE radius.
    Although I do like the balance for set bonuses at the moment.
    You can choose no set bonus for stuff which has good stats for your character (ex: most CWs)
    or
    You can choose a good set bonus with mediocre stats for your character (ex: Orcus set for GWFs)

• mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    CHAOs magic is the best capstone in game everyything it gives is viable.
    THE only problem it has it doesnt apply extra 30% armor penetration when the chaotic nexus is up.
  • masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    For end game groups, only the 30% damage boost from Chaos magic matters. All DPS classes have 100% crit already, and cleric/paladin/tanks provide enough healing and damage prevention to make chaotic healing useless.
  • x30flokix30floki Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    masteroga said:

For end game groups, only the 30% damage boost from Chaos magic matters. All DPS classes have 100% crit already, and cleric/paladin/tanks provide enough healing and damage prevention to make chaotic healing useless.

1. Most people arent 4k+
    2. U forgot about swath and ca
    3. All DPS have 100% crit already? GWFs, yes. SWs? Well, they get most of their damage from PoP in combination with owl bear - NO critting there.
  • masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    X30floki, just talking about chaos magic, not talking about anything else. Stating why it's not the best endcap in the game.