test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How NOT to find a guild...

So we are in eLoL last night, and there were four of us. Me on my Healadin, a friend on a Tankadin, and two HR's. We are all in the same guild but have the glitch where some of us are showing the alliance name, some the guild name. Our two HR's went with opposing builds and we were testing out different HR respecs. One was trying to make a combat/buffer the other running the old trapper straight DPS build. We have a random join us.

The random starts talking trash about the one on the combat/buffer because his damage is lower than the trapper. The guy started getting more and more rude. We ignored him and continued our experiment. Half way through the scorpions the guy is dead and still talking trash through the door. We tried to vote to kick but that didn't work. We then realize that my friend on the combat HR is the only one showing the alliance name and the rest of us are showing the guild name. I reply in the chat that we are experimenting with builds and to watch his tone. He continues acting like a 3rd grade heckler. Then the guy asks to join our guild because he wants to be with a guild that knows what they are doing and runs dungeons.

He did not get an invite.
Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

Comments

• grendlerose#7658 grendlerose Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    theres alot of toxic "elitist" players floating about, thats why i used to only play subscription games, but they are there too!!
  • I kinda like playing with these MMO Legend in their own Mind guys every once in awhile, they add some entertainment. Kinda like watching a bad comedian or a terrible movie, fun once in awhile but not good for every day. Also they kind of remind you to have a little more patience when your tank or cleric dies for the 10th time on the scorpions or dragon.
  • ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    The funny thing was that he clearly didn't piece together that the four of us were together and was trying to get us to make fun of the "other guy" with him.

also a good reminder that no matter what the guild name above their heads - they could all be in the same PS4 chat
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    On DCUO I ran into plenty of players like that. Talking trash because you played a power that was not the FotM and them being the FotM power and talking about how OP they are. When push came to shove and you beat them by 25-50% in damage with a weaker power they usually kept quiet or rage quit. The later is better because than you could fill it with a friend or a guild/league mate due to the system DCUO has when someone leaves an instance.

In this game I just play and do my best. I am also not as engaged with this game as I was with DCUO. This game mechanics and game play is fine. What it lacks is a good communication tool to really get me engaged because it is a MMO and I expected a better experience with regards to the voice and text system for communication.

I only now log on and get my daily key and use it as I am playing other games that I put on the shelf when NW launched and now that I am not chasing DCUO carrot of top IL each new piece of content and with NW carrot IL being mostly on luck or money invest I can take a extended break from MMOs and play some other games like Witcher, Sword Coast Legends, etc...

Yeah, I think my man got tired of the game last night - it's one thing to grind, it's another thing when you realize that the grind doesn't matter - it's all luck or $$

ravenskya said:

Yeah, I think my man got tired of the game last night - it's one thing to grind, it's another thing when you realize that the grind doesn't matter - it's all luck or $$

Cost vs reward.

To go from a level 8 to a level 12 enchantment requires

2 level 8
    2 level 9
    2 level 10
    2 level 11

Now getting to level 8 is not that bad. It cost 24 trade bars and some P. Wards which are not all that expensive. Going to a 9 requires two 8 so now you need 48 trade bars and quite a few more wards if you are unlucky and at 20% you start to see it take more wards than you like.

I'm not going to talk more about what it takes to raise an enchantment.

Let's look at the stats.

A level 8 gives 400 which is a 1% increase in most stats. Going to a 12 gives you a 1.75% increase, not even a pint increase for the main stat.

Given the cost vs. gain IMO it is not worth moving to anything above an 8 for enchantments unless you really want to spend the money.

As for luck I played PoM 6x a day between two characters for almost 2 months and got a single 145 ring. Prior to that I was playing that skirmishes 3x a day and never saw a 145 ring for the prior month play PoM over 120 times.

As for artifacts those are luck of the draw, similar to what we get out of LB.

So we have two ways to play this game. Pay to get what you want or hopefully you get lucky. Either way, it is costing the player either time or money. If you want to be the highest

I have no regrets playing and paying as much as I did. I love the game but it is a MMO and I really want the ability to talk to guild mates through a guild channel and not use text chat. I like voice chat and if that was available I would be playing a lot more and looking for an active vocal guild.

• devlin#3775 devlin Member Posts: 142 Arc User

ravenskya said:

Cost vs reward.

2 level 8
    2 level 9
    2 level 10
    2 level 11

I get your other points but you dont need 2 enchantments to upgrade after lvl 9. Once you hit lvl 10, 11, and 12, it just needs the standard "marks of X" without the 2nd matching enchantment.

I didnt quote it to save space, but I'd also disagree on your assessment on "not worth upgrading past 8". Pretty much everything in the game doesnt add a significant bump to your damage/defence/etc (some exceptions to this). It's the cumulative effect that matters. 0.75% doesnt mean much, but 0.75% increase in 7 or so slots? That adds up.

Even when talking about one slot, I think most builds benefit from using 2stat or 3stat enchantments which give much better bang for your buck (unless you specifically just need 1 stat I guess). 700 to say power on radiant matches your 0.75 increase, but that increase rises with say brutal or black ice enchantments.

• metalicum1metalicum1 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    A lot of people don't understand party roles, not even how the game works. They don't understand that the best parties have always only 1 or 2 pure dps and the rest supports, making little personal dmg, but making the pure DPS guys fell super powerful.
    They think they are raging bulls, while they are feeding on other people's work.
    Usually people just play pure DPS, find "the best" build online and don't care about else.
    Aris Meyde CW MoF Renegade

[PS4] Alliance - House Stargaryen

A lot of people don't understand party roles, not even how the game works. They don't understand that the best parties have always only 1 or 2 pure dps and the rest supports, making little personal dmg, but making the pure DPS guys fell super powerful.
    They think they are raging bulls, while they are feeding on other people's work.
    Usually people just play pure DPS, find "the best" build online and don't care about else.

This happens in all types of MMOs. Everyone wants to be a DPS. The problem with this is that many players are not up to snuff t play as a DPS.
  • ajlir#7970 ajlir Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    ravenskya said:

So we are in eLoL last night, and there were four of us. Me on my Healadin, a friend on a Tankadin, and two HR's. We are all in the same guild but have the glitch where some of us are showing the alliance name, some the guild name. Our two HR's went with opposing builds and we were testing out different HR respecs. One was trying to make a combat/buffer the other running the old trapper straight DPS build. We have a random join us.

The random starts talking trash about the one on the combat/buffer because his damage is lower than the trapper. The guy started getting more and more rude. We ignored him and continued our experiment. Half way through the scorpions the guy is dead and still talking trash through the door. We tried to vote to kick but that didn't work. We then realize that my friend on the combat HR is the only one showing the alliance name and the rest of us are showing the guild name. I reply in the chat that we are experimenting with builds and to watch his tone. He continues acting like a 3rd grade heckler. Then the guy asks to join our guild because he wants to be with a guild that knows what they are doing and runs dungeons.

Say hello for me from a fellow Combat ranger, would you? He doesn't deserve this. And also, can you ask him what are his encounters for buffing? Only have Oak Skin for defense buff, Thorn Ward for defense debuff and Commanding Shot/Stag Heart for some debuff/temp HP.

For trying to test something on a dungeon environment, I recommend that you do a full premade instead of letting some random ruining your experience or grab a nice guy/girl from your friends list (yup, utilize what you have if you need external help) and tell him/her what are your intentions first through private message. If he/she agrees, then there's no problem.
  • damontar#5477 damontar Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    ravenskya said:

lmfao OMG i about died reading this. just goes to show that even some people turn out like trolls when not intending it.

as far as the alliance tag glitch thing i tried a suggestion a guildmate just happened to stumble across and it work.

Clear your Title. Flat out leave it clear for awhile dont hop in and out of History to check the box checked Use Alliance Title just wait and play for a bit. EVENTUALLY it will clear and your Guild Name will show up. only way to know for sure is by a friend in Voice Chat with you to help pay attention ( since we , at least I, ) cannot see my own name above my toon.

it worked 25minutes later alliance name gone Guild name On.. was happy... the end...

side note. box was still checked for Use Alliance Title. BUT was not sporting the name of the Alliance guild. I Had MY GUILD NAME ON even with that boxed checked ( cant target it anyways)
    We will have to try that to fix our guild name issue. At this point we've pretty much just said F it and just ride with whatever they decide to call us each day.

Obviously we should have filled the group but generally we tend to take a random just to get others through. The thing is that it's not like the combat HR was doing poorly, he was just lower than the other HR on the dps board - he did find a rotation that he really liked but it wasn't until a later dungeon.

ravenskya said:

Cost vs reward.

2 level 8
    2 level 9
    2 level 10
    2 level 11

I get your other points but you dont need 2 enchantments to upgrade after lvl 9. Once you hit lvl 10, 11, and 12, it just needs the standard "marks of X" without the 2nd matching enchantment.

I didnt quote it to save space, but I'd also disagree on your assessment on "not worth upgrading past 8". Pretty much everything in the game doesnt add a significant bump to your damage/defence/etc (some exceptions to this). It's the cumulative effect that matters. 0.75% doesnt mean much, but 0.75% increase in 7 or so slots? That adds up.

Even when talking about one slot, I think most builds benefit from using 2stat or 3stat enchantments which give much better bang for your buck (unless you specifically just need 1 stat I guess). 700 to say power on radiant matches your 0.75 increase, but that increase rises with say brutal or black ice enchantments.

The thing is the items we are talking about are digital items in a video game that you either grind for or you buy. If you buy your way to end game it is very costly. I know one player that told me how much he spent to get there and I simply shook my head on the amount he spent.

I don't mind spending money on packs and memberships, but when it comes to buying your way to 3K IL, well that is a big mistake for digital items that will become outdated in due time. Not worth it IMO.
  • umarachnea#5673 umarachnea Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    hah, well that surely is not a way to get a guild invite.

However, if you want to go for testing stuff, you might be better off running a private queue, I agree. Although I figure you are all properly geared and experienced, so you won't really be messing up anyone's run.

@mebengalsfan#9264 I agree. This game (and others like it) is about investment: either Time or Money. Most players, especially the strictly console ones, are typically not patient, and so tend to spend money on just about anything that you can grind in the game.

WoW was my only PC game, and while for the most part I'm decently patient, I struggle not to spend and get things moving faster. I've got my eye on the Tyranny campaign unlock.... so tempting.

hah, well that surely is not a way to get a guild invite.

However, if you want to go for testing stuff, you might be better off running a private queue, I agree. Although I figure you are all properly geared and experienced, so you won't really be messing up anyone's run.

@mebengalsfan#9264 I agree. This game (and others like it) is about investment: either Time or Money. Most players, especially the strictly console ones, are typically not patient, and so tend to spend money on just about anything that you can grind in the game.

WoW was my only PC game, and while for the most part I'm decently patient, I struggle not to spend and get things moving faster. I've got my eye on the Tyranny campaign unlock.... so tempting.

Let's look back almost 15 years from today. 15 years ago RPG games were very long. Most were around 50-100+ hours. BG, BG2, NWN, etc...they took time to complete. The developers placed many things in games for us to find. The games were brilliant.

MMOs back than took time to gear up and level up. You could not get best stuff within a week back than. This lasted all the way up until about 2012 or so. That is when the gaming industry stopped producing content where that took time to complete and redid older stuff to make things easier and quicker.

It is not the game industry fault for people wanting things NOW, that falls on society. As a society we are changing and more people want the option to buy into best stuff without the hard work or effort. Look at people trying to get away with degrees where they simply paid a price to get it without doing any of the work. This is the human mind set and it has ruined many great MMOs in the process.

PW did it right to get a profit off society NOW mentality by offering level 70 characters for $50. Very smart move IMO. Even putting highly sought after artifacts into the LB also moved us towards that same mentality vs grinding content for it.

As for players in MMOs in general you have a variety of people playing from casual, hardcore, 100% F2P, 100% P2W, etc... within each group you have various levels of skill and I would state that most of the P2W players are on the lower end of the skill table vs. those who are more for the F2P method who work longer and harder at improving their character.

Me, I'm more of a I buy things that I can use across the account for all my characters. Mounts, Packs, etc...if the item cannot be used across the account I use AD and convert that to zen to buy what I want.

Lately though I have had little to no time for video games, so I haven't even been on NW in almost 2 weeks if not longer. To much good things happening outside of the game to really care what is happening in the digital world of NW. Maybe when things slow down I can come back. I'm hoping they don't slow down though as I like being out and about moreso than sitting down and watching digital content on my TV.