test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How accurate is this 95% DR number I've read about recently?

greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
Title says it all.

I've seen a lot of people saying that I may want to shoot for 95% DR instead of the commonly known 80% cap. Is there actual data backing this up, or more of a 'i feel tankier' sentiment?

I can easily hit that number with some rearranging of gear and old artifacts, but I'd like to know definitively that it's the right way to go.

Thanks for any and all feedback, shield brothers and sisters!

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Man, I was viewing this topic in class and nobody has answered for 5 hours? Here's the thing behind the 95% DR thing that I happen to have referenced alot:

80% DR is indeed the cap for effective DR, no worries about being wrong there.

But monsters have ArmorPen, which is typically 15% ArmorPen barring certain exceptions (ex: enemy Ambush Drakes).

So, to account for this average 15% mob ArmorPen, we stack 95% DR due to 95%-15%=80%.

• greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    That's what im curious about though. Has this been tested and proven using ACT? I always thought the 80% cap took all of that into account, but now I'm seeing a couple people mention this new benchmark. Is it hypothetical or is there data to back it up?

I'm inclined to believe you, since I play on Xbox and we don't have testing software to make testing easier, but do you have proof?

Thanks.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    I did not test this, testing wuold be easy though, I take it for real because that´s what I experience running dungeon.

DR 80%--- squishy feeling runnnung FBI
    DR 95% far better :)

DR 80% at Orcus, onehits may occur
    DR 95% no onehit any more

at 80% I am effective at 65%, a 500k hit causes 175k damage
    at 95% I am at 80%, a 500k hits causes 100k damage

just try yourself , you will feel the difference immidiately
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I tested it ages ago, it was where those numbers originally came from. You can find the thread where I posted some of my numbers here.

I should probably retest it at some stage since it has been a while. I did end up doing all the T2s, with the exception of CN or FBI.

• greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    Sweet thanks @thefabricant et al. I'll pursue that thread. Gives me something to think about re: gear.

Thanks guys!
  • issssshoisssssho Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 105 Arc User
    Does buffs like negation or kv affect 80% dr cap or it adds up like sort of softcap ? :P newbie gf here
    With great power comes great electricity bill.

THC
    http://www.theholycrusaders.com/
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Negation adds to your own personal DR, with each stack of negation granting 3% extra DR per time hit (assuming a Perfect or better here). It doesn' t show up on your character sheet though.

Another thing to consider about Negation is its "ramp up time": because you only build stacks by getting hit, this means you have to survive many hits to make use of the extra DR. As enemies attack rather slowly in PvE, that might mean the stacks fall off in between or in the middle of a fight.

I believe KV is additional DR on your teammates (and the damage they take is passed to you).