test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PS4 Paladin Tank Build Questions

Hi,

This thread is more aimed for end tier tankadins in the 3k/4k area.

I am a 3,300 tank full defence/recovery enchants in offence/defence.

We have a double RP coming up on the ps4 in around 30 days and have around 700 rank 7s and 200 rank 8s and god knows how many resonnance stones etc. I plan to upgrade a lot of things then that will truly be locked in for a long time and will determine my final build so the choices i make now will be critical. (You see sooo many high ilvl players and you inspect them and instantly face palm... I DO NOT want to be that guy)

At the moment i have active the Lion from the most recent lockbox it has 3 defence lots and 3 neck slots and overly very powerful with the stacking of radiant damage and is very fun to play along side but my main issue at the moment is when companions gift procs (now in mod10 so they all proc at once more or less constantly) I hit the defence cap due to the defence slots and this is the complicated issue thats been bugging me for a long time.

If i remove the defence enchants on my gear and replace them with health or deflect then i'll be depending on the companion a lot to proc companions gift but on the flip side I'll also be getting my shadowclad ranked up to the stage where every hit adds 10% defence so constantly been capped isn't really beneficial I should really just go back to the fire archon or my trusty shadow demon and stack power/recovery to solve this problem completely but the lion is so freaking cool. You guys seen him when the yeti procs? He's bigger than most enemies and he doesn't seem to steal aggro more boosts my taunting when stood near which is really nice.

Also, what are you guys doing about the everfrost gear sets?

If we perma slot these then we'll be be forced to ditch the dusk set bonus which is also a pita so my logic is:
Head - dragon flight
Arms - Dragon flight
Legs - restored everfrost with lanalin
The rest am not 100% sure its hard to say at the moment.

Thoughts? Anyone else in a similar situation or gone through this last RP?
Mr Doofa [PS4]
4,300 Tankadin

Comments

• Options
    thuzkawthuzkaw Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Ps4 player here and you're situation is so similar to mine it's not funny.

I was a Dev Pally with high crit, now respecc'ed to a Prot Pally with the same high crit.

I also have a lion companion ( replaces my yeti) however I prefer the hard hitting shadow demon, even with it dying a lot. The lions buff is so noticeable many in group have questioned why the increase in their dps.

My IL is 3350.

Unlike you however my defence isn't my problem, having only 9k or so. It's having 11k crit.

I would prefer to go the recovery / power / HP build. However by doing so I lose out on my arm pen dropping due to having Savage enchantments in all my / companions Offensive slots. Sure I lose the crit, however at a cost.

The other day I and a mate decided to take on the beholders heroic in the stronghold something I could never do as a healadin, we died a few times however we completed that heroic. Tanks are fun and right then I knew I had made the right choice of changing my build.

At the moment I'm uncertain what direction I should go in.
  • Options
    critshot1234#3954 critshot1234 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    thuzkaw said:

Ps4 player here and you're situation is so similar to mine it's not funny.

I was a Dev Pally with high crit, now respecc'ed to a Prot Pally with the same high crit.

I also have a lion companion ( replaces my yeti) however I prefer the hard hitting shadow demon, even with it dying a lot. The lions buff is so noticeable many in group have questioned why the increase in their dps.

My IL is 3350.

Unlike you however my defence isn't my problem, having only 9k or so. It's having 11k crit.

I would prefer to go the recovery / power / HP build. However by doing so I lose out on my arm pen dropping due to having Savage enchantments in all my / companions Offensive slots. Sure I lose the crit, however at a cost.

The other day I and a mate decided to take on the beholders heroic in the stronghold something I could never do as a healadin, we died a few times however we completed that heroic. Tanks are fun and right then I knew I had made the right choice of changing my build.

At the moment I'm uncertain what direction I should go in.

Yeah, am assuming a lot of people are in the same boat and I hardly see the pally section get updated with meaningful content.

Our builds are very different though, I do not build crit because I'm waiting for the owl bear and if i did chose crit i'd lose a lot of recovery and in my build recovery is literally everything... recovery is love recovery is life.

We may have different artifacts too as I'm around 50/60% arm pen depending what mount i choose. (running sigil of devoted, black ice beholder, kessles and black dragon artifacts) and i'll use the 2,000 recovery mount for hard to do stuff like orcus and the new 10 man heroics or if its easier such as elol or dailies then i'll slot the 2k arm pen mount.

I think to solve my issue I am going to go back to the shadow demon but remember he will be fixed soon as his big attack is glitched which makes me a sad panda but he's still a fast hitting monster with an OP active companion stat.

Generally its a shame if you take a look at a GFW thread its packed with testers and people discussing valid builds etc... you take a trip to pally country and its dead AF

Mr Doofa [PS4]
    4,300 Tankadin
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    The reason the 'Citadel' is dead is because the class only existed a few months before it was nerfed and the GF simultaneously buffed. This drove off a lot of pally players who rolled (or went back to) a GF.

@critshot1234#3954 I understand your dilemma as I'm at a similar point. I have 26k power, 21k defence, 60% RI and 140k HP and I'm currently using an owlbear as my summoned companion. I'm debating whether to move to a fire archon or harper bard - the bard gives a very nice boost to HP when summoned (10%) but with 2 defence slots, that's not needed as I don't want to reduce defence on my character to compensate. As such I think I'll go with the archon for now. I'll get a nice power, recovery and deflect boost out of going that way.

Of course there is also the question that when in boss fights, what is the balanced worth between HP and DR? what I mean is; how much Health does a point in DR save? A rank 12 in a defence slot can give you either 2.8k HP or 1.75%(ish) DR. If reducing your DR by 1.75% will cost you more than 2.8k HP then DR > HP. And vice versa of course.

This is beyond my knowledge of the game, perhaps @thefabricant will know the answer? He certainly knows a lot more about the mechanics than I do.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    armadeonx said:

The reason the 'Citadel' is dead is because the class only existed a few months before it was nerfed and the GF simultaneously buffed. This drove off a lot of pally players who rolled (or went back to) a GF.

@critshot1234#3954 I understand your dilemma as I'm at a similar point. I have 26k power, 21k defence, 60% RI and 140k HP and I'm currently using an owlbear as my summoned companion. I'm debating whether to move to a fire archon or harper bard - the bard gives a very nice boost to HP when summoned (10%) but with 2 defence slots, that's not needed as I don't want to reduce defence on my character to compensate. As such I think I'll go with the archon for now. I'll get a nice power, recovery and deflect boost out of going that way.

Of course there is also the question that when in boss fights, what is the balanced worth between HP and DR? what I mean is; how much Health does a point in DR save? A rank 12 in a defence slot can give you either 2.8k HP or 1.75%(ish) DR. If reducing your DR by 1.75% will cost you more than 2.8k HP then DR > HP. And vice versa of course.

This is beyond my knowledge of the game, perhaps @thefabricant will know the answer? He certainly knows a lot more about the mechanics than I do.

HP/(1-Damage resistance) = current effective HP pool
    HP/(1-Damage Resistance – additional DR from defence) = effective HP with added defence
    (HP+additional HP)/(1-Damage Resistance) = effective HP total with added hitpoints

The biggest number you get as a solution is the best direction to go. It is however important to note that (1-DR) and (1-DR-Defence) are greater than or equal to 0.2.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @armadeonx

My stats are very similar to yours if not exact (minus the owlbear)

And yeah, we was overpowered due to the bubbledin build but i wouldn't say that's a nerf more of a fix (gfs kinda been sorted due to the itf fix) I still feel very powerful as with our builds we can easily out dps most medicore or average dps in a good elol or cn run and i'd imagine you'd do a considerable amount of damage with the owlbear.

Since i started this post I have returned to the shadow demon and the damage is still bugged but i'll keep it active even after fix simply for the 3x offence slots. In regards to the fire archon i want to drop him for the air archon (i currently have fire, earth, yeti, owl bear, lion)

I will also continue running defence in defence slots and recovery in offence till i hit 12 recovery at base then i'll replace some with power and i'll probably stop on defence when i hit 70% dmg resistance.

By the way another thing i've been struggling to find information on is the blue dragon in the stronghold.

He will mark me with his debuff and dot which progressively gets worse (-30% dmg resistance every stack) at the start of the fight this is just a small dot and goes away without much hassle but as the fight goes on it will mark me again and this mark i've taken pictures of it hitting me for 550k every second and i've survived that HAMSTER session for a while (cleric boosting my recharge so i can cancel out the damage in) but that bugger does not go away and i inevitably die.

I appear to always be the tank getting the mark I'm considerably higher ilvl than most of our other tanks so i'm assuming its taunt based. I did drop aura of courage at one point to use the dmg resistance aura but the other guys did start getting marked and that was a HAMSTER show so reverted back to been the guy getting HAMSTER by the mark. Its annoying because I don't think many people understand the damage i actually take in that dragon especially the other tanks as they just sit there dealing with just the dragon.

its intense moment getting marked and the most fun i have in the entire game trying to survive the mark of death

I'm guessing the dragon is time based and the mark gets worse and worse or is they a way to cleanse without dying and then the entire group dying?
    Mr Doofa [PS4]
    4,300 Tankadin
  • Options
    jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    null
    Clerics spamming annointed army and/or empowered astral shield while you cast binding oath as if it was the happy hour should be enough to survive that, also, heroism/shield of faith can help with that problem.
  • Options
    ulthgrimulthgrim Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Good conversation, similar boat myself but I am just over the 2k iLvl though. Sorting out my companion situation and deciding on which boons to take when they become available/unlocked is giving me fits. Still a young OP in terms of you guys but I am slowly getting there.

• Options
    thuzkawthuzkaw Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Since my last post my IL is now 3450. I dropped all savage enchants and went Recovery in offensive and Rad in defensive Brutal in utility.

Artifacts are sigil of OP, Thayan book of the dead, Heart of the white dragon and horn of Valhalla. Now all at Teal level. My reasoning at the time for these Artifacts was having HP, AoE resist, crit AP. On reflection I could of chosen better.

However saying that, with the changes in mod 10.5 I believe high HP will be better than having high defence, therefore my Artifacts aren't too bad. The horn of Valhalla set is more of a tanking set, all I need is belt and cloak.

My guild ran Orcus last night for the first time, my first time as well. Got him down to 10% first try. 5 try's later we dropped him. Aside from my IL the group average was around 2700, not sure we did good or not however, I gained more info on how I could build my pally. Dropped a +4 ring of lifesteal.

What I have thought is running, bane for debuff, aura 10% mob debuff, Rank 12 Bronzewood enchant. Add all that up and that's anywhere from 20% - 50% damage debuff to target for at least 10 seconds with a cool down of bronzewood of 20 seconds. I wish bane gave ap regen as well. I could run with a debuff companion on top of all that as well.

While this looks ok on paper in practice I'm unsure how good it would be. Any input on above thought would be helpful.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    To give an update to this thread and maybe help out others.

I've taken off the fire archon from my active companions he's active bonus only starts when the health is below 50%... kinda pointless in my opinion I'd prefer a bonus that is actively there consistently so now am running with:

Companions
    Shadow Demon (legendary) and have him out
    Yeti (Purple)
    Galub Durr (purple)
    Earth Archon (Purple)
    Lion (purple) Offence Enchantments
    Continue the route of recovery and this double RP I'll be getting these all to rank 10/11 when i was a lower ilvl pally tank I didn't realise just how important recovery is in fact i didn't even mod for it but its becoming more and more apparent that recovery is one of my most important stats and is going to be interesting to see how far i can push this stat going forward

Defence Enchantments
    At the moment I am full defence enchants and around 63% defence base stat. I am going to upgrade majority to rank 10 and slowly swap these out for health and maintain a 65/70% base damage resist

Utility Enchantments
    I am full dragon hordes at the moment rank 9s I have around 30 lesser hordes horded up but i may end up selling these on double RP as I'll probably be beyond broke so these will most likely stay rank 9s for now

Weapon Enchantment
    I have a greater fey touched at the moment and I've this at greater for a reason I am not sure where i'll go with this so it will be staying put till next double RP.

Armour Enchantment
    Shadowclad will be upgraded to rank 11 because shadowclad is life... shadowclad is love

Post edited by critshot1234#3954 on
    Mr Doofa [PS4]
    4,300 Tankadin
  • Options
    ulthgrimulthgrim Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Air Archon might be a good switch for the Earth Archon, or in conjuction with. Since the AA increases damage to mobs not at full health, so lead off with whatever you use to start a fight, now the mob is not at full health, then hit Templars Wrath. Now you have the benefit of both Air and Earth Archon damage increases.
  • Options
    ulthgrim said:

Air Archon might be a good switch for the Earth Archon, or in conjuction with. Since the AA increases damage to mobs not at full health, so lead off with whatever you use to start a fight, now the mob is not at full health, then hit Templars Wrath. Now you have the benefit of both Air and Earth Archon damage increases.

I have the air archon but that means i'd have to either lose the galub (10percent dmg boost) or the lion and honestly although the lion doesn't help much the boost in damage is bloody nice though and i got him out of a lockbox I can't part with him just yet but when i do i'll more than likely replace him with the air archon

On a side note completed FBI 4 times now on PS every run was pretty smooth no issues and steamed rolled through it as a guild run.
    Mr Doofa [PS4]
    4,300 Tankadin