test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crafting really seems pointless...

Am I the only one that feels as though leveling crafts to master levels is very unrewarding? What is the point of Weaponsmithing? There is literally nothing useful in that craft. Alchemy can make Elemental Aggregates, but its not worth the time and trouble. You can make armor kits and shirts and pants. Personalized rings and Black Ice mod your armor, but once that is done, you feel as though there is really not point. If I didn't spend my time doing that so that I could sell things and generate AD, then what was the point? Will there be changes coming to make it more relevant?
Morria Grim 16,133 DC
Morgrim Orcbane 16,530 CW
Bloodlust Barbie 15,646 OP Tank

Comments

• Options
    skyclaw#9517 skyclaw Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    the 2 most beneficial to me are Jewelcrafting for the double slotted rings to throw on the companion and the Black Ice Shaping for making better gear, other then that , dont waste ur effort. thats my opinion.
  • Options
    hartrek#9713 hartrek Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Dyes are nice. Alchemy. They are not in the common tasks, though, so they only appear from time to time.
    Gáleah Elóthanil  Female Sun Elf CW 70 2500
    Hartrek Runemaster Male  Dwarf  GF 70 2300
    Faeruil  Female Drow  TR 70 1600
  • Options
    ferdi#0617 ferdi Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    A level of suprise needs to be added say when making a specialized ring maybe a small chance of a random special ring made instead. Something only attained through crafting
  • Options
    I owe a lot to crafting, I refuse to throw large amounts of money at the game to fund my gear so I had to make the AD another way.
  • Options
    frostreever#9329 frostreever Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    Crafting can be helpful for the guild items you can make.
  • Options
    sarges24#0702 sarges24 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Crafting has a lot of benefits. Unfortunately this game is primarily set up to purchase all your gear with currency or cash. Bags for instance have to be purchased instead of crafted. Also they seem to be wrecking some reasons to craft. With Mulhorand gear it's made weapon smithing pretty much useless. Also this could be due to market/player base but appearance change items don't seem to be selling anymore now that you can buy gear sets with Alliance Supplies in Mantol Derith. Also the cost of Unified Elements have made it almost pointless to bother making some items...

End of the day crafting is still very rewarding. For instance the underwear (shirt and pants) are item lvl 145 and imo the best underwear you can obtain. Jewelcrafting, as pointed out can make personalized rings that are item lvl 135 with dual enchantment slots; though bound to character. For a while making +4 gear then +6 when it appeared was a great way to make some Astral Diamonds and is what I used for appearance changes for part of my Rogue and all of my Wizzard. Alchemy you can create dyes, elemental aggregates, though they take 7 days and are now cheap on the AH, plus other green crafting materials. Also the armor kits all provide a nice bonus and bump to gear score though they are costly requiring, I believe, 2 Unified Elements plus 100k Astral Diamonds.... To each their own but there is definitely something in crafting. Not to mention the fact [I believe] lvl 60+ Epic items can be donated to the stronghold for 810 surplus equipment. Not shab for using just a dragon egg and random materials that were free.

I have all crafts other than Platesmithing (4) and Leadership (18) maxed out on my Rogue. I do think some professions offer more than others but all have their merits. Could they better? Absolutely. Also it would be nice if like all other games bags could actually be made in this game instead of forcing us to buy them. Tailoring and/or Leatherworking could be used for bag making. Also the rotating list could be improved or those items could be in the usual list while upgrading the quality of special, limited recipes. But overall crafting is a beneficial aspect of the game and has it's bonuses. One just has to find them
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Well I make all my own:

elemental aggregates
    unified elements
    armor enhancement kits
    shirts & pants
    refining stones

I've literally saved millions of AD this way and there's always a market for selling certain items once you've got everything else you need.

I do wish they'd introduce more items to make and yes some of the professions are far less useful than others.

Edit, I agree with Sarge about making our own bags! I could do that in GW2.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    From my perspective as a PC player from beta, Leadership remains the best progression profession. I have eight lvl 70 toons, and all they do are lvl21+ Leadership profs. You can amass a huge amount of RP between 2xRP events which can get your arifacts and equipment up to epic/legendary in no time. What's left over can be sold to make decent AD.

As mentioned in earlier posts, Jewelcrafting is also important as the personalised rings are still fantastic until you get to the +4/+5 UD rings.

Anyway, just a PC player stopping by adding my two cents.
  • Options
    terrordactyl#4367 terrordactyl Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Black Ice is also quite decent for keeping you topped up with the Overdrive slot enchants which only last 8 hours a time
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Mod 10 update allows for weapon smith to make the the four elemental weapons. So if you don't buy and grind out for the motes you can now make them.
  • Options
    That's actually pretty good

• Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    edited November 2016

Mod 10 update allows for weapon smith to make the the four elemental weapons. So if you don't buy and grind out for the motes you can now make them.

Ummm, different elemental weapons. These are not the artifact weapons you get with motes.
  • Options
    indylolindylol Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    @zephyriah

They actually are the same artifact weapons you grind for with motes, though I believe they are account or char bound so no resale there.
    B) LGPG Leader B)
    Indy - XB1 & PS4 - GF
    xeV Indy - PS4 - TR
    Nde - XB1 - HR
    GT: its indy time
    PSN: itsindytime
    Twitch: indygoinlive
    The Kanye West of Neverwinter
  • Options
    Are you sure it's available now and not 10.5? I have rank 25 weaponsmithing on one character and they don't show up

• Options
    indylol said:

@zephyriah

They actually are the same artifact weapons you grind for with motes, though I believe they are account or char bound so no resale there.

No, those are on preview for Mod 10.5 Sea of Moving Ice and they may or may not make it into the game at this point. Probably will, and we'll know next week if they are coming, but...

The post I replied to claimed Mod 10 update made them available and that is not true. You cannot currently make the Artifact weapons in crafting. The Elemental weapons you can craft are different and I didn't want players to try to craft those Elemental Weapons currently on Weaponsmithing based on incorrect advice.
  • Options
    armadeonx said:

Are you sure it's available now and not 10.5? I have rank 25 weaponsmithing on one character and they don't show up

You're correct. It is up on preview for 10.5 and not part of Mod 10. We'll know on the 7th when the patch notes release if they made it into the final version.
  • Options
    Ah cool, I'm going to be rolling another character in a couple of weeks so good timing :smiley:

• Options
    mbritton444#2328 mbritton444 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    i think the biggest problem is that crafting is too easy. Basically anyone can take any craft to 25 for free by using the gathering recipes. it might take a little longer, but you'll get there with literally zero investment. Then you are free to make the level 25 rare stuff and do your part to crash the market value. I used to make good AD making Gemmed Exquisite Leather shirt/legs. Now the prices of Unified Elements / Elemental Aggregate have doubled and the prices of both the Trickster's and Gemmed items have dropped to the point that I'm forced to sell Trickster's at a loss, which makes the already extremely narrow profit margin on the Gemmed versions basically non-existent. I've essentially been priced out of the market, although I'm still watching to see if prices go back up as more people get priced out and stop flooding the market.
  • Options
    mossy#5930 mossy Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    How's the exchange rate for the armor kits? Some of them are on the high side to craft...think about 100k for the top crafted stuff.

Was thinking of making some to try & sell (or even use) but between the resources tied up in its use & the AD...not sure what a good asking price would be
  • Options

i think the biggest problem is that crafting is too easy. Basically anyone can take any craft to 25 for free by using the gathering recipes. it might take a little longer, but you'll get there with literally zero investment. Then you are free to make the level 25 rare stuff and do your part to crash the market value. I used to make good AD making Gemmed Exquisite Leather shirt/legs. Now the prices of Unified Elements / Elemental Aggregate have doubled and the prices of both the Trickster's and Gemmed items have dropped to the point that I'm forced to sell Trickster's at a loss, which makes the already extremely narrow profit margin on the Gemmed versions basically non-existent. I've essentially been priced out of the market, although I'm still watching to see if prices go back up as more people get priced out and stop flooding the market.

People getting to rank 25 in professions is not the cause of your problem - it's that ranking up the Black Ice profession requires a ton of UE's (pushing the price up a lot) and people using Drow and TB vendor shirts and pants reduces demand for the crafted ones.

Same for crafted rings - Gemmed Exquisite Rings of Piercing used to trade for over 100k but now everyone wants Underdark rings, they go for 45 - 50k.

Another example of this is the cost of crafting profession items - they used to cost a lot but now you can buy purple items for next to nothing - quite simply because of the lack of demand.

• Options

How's the exchange rate for the armor kits? Some of them are on the high side to craft...think about 100k for the top crafted stuff.

Was thinking of making some to try & sell (or even use) but between the resources tied up in its use & the AD...not sure what a good asking price would be

Bear in mind that to make them will cost you 100k AD plus 2 x UE. That's a minimum production cost of 150k. If you're making less than 10k profit then it's really not worth your time.