test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

MadWilly's Buff/utility tank deluxe

justawillyjustawilly Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 63 Arc User
edited November 2016 in The Citadel
If you're looking for step by step guide on how to build a tank then please stop reading.
This is for paladins who want inspire other classes to do better, whether it's healing, resisting damage or dealing damage.

RACE

Normally I would say it won’t matter much which race you pick. That 1 or 2 percent difference in hit points or critical hit chance is not going to break this build. There is one thing to consider though. If you want to have as low as possible wisdom (because wisdom increases critical hit chance which is bad if you got an owlbear cub) without neglecting constitution or charisma then thiefling or half-elf would be a good choice.
If you want to be flexible choose human. There will come a point where it won’t matter if you critically hit or not. You can put the 3 bonus feats in Force of will feat.

FEATS/BOONS

Please watch video first:
https://youtu.be/sYYfWpqM6pc

I won’t go too much on detail here. There are plenty of other paladin guides out there for more detailed information.
I will give some possible options to consider.
Instead of impassioned pleas you could choose weapon mastery.

Instead of Beacon of Hope you could select prism. I preferred beacon of hope since it does not rely on external heal. Beacon of Hope will occur the moment a daily has been successfully been activated. And for icing on cake if you activate Shield of Faith it actually gains that 30% heal bonus heal from the Shield of Faith effect itself since Beacon of Hope only activates AFTER a daily has been successfully casted.

While Seraphim would give you better heal bonus. I do not like the fact I need to get damaged in order to get that bonus.

GEARING/COMPANIONS

Your priority should be
1. Recovery: Until you got 8000 recovery (without bonding buff) I use less even but thats because I know this build inside and out. I rarely miss my rotation.
2. Defense: You should be able to hit around 14000 with stronghold buff AND no Azure enchantments in defense slots. (without bonding buff)
3. Hit point: as high as you can. Put radiant enchantments in defense slots. You will be using this to boost you power even more thanks to Oath of protection mechanic. Also useful for Aura of courage.
4. Armor enchant: Negation Enchantment
5. Weapon enchant: Either Feytouched or Plaguefire enchantment.
6. Power: once you reach 8000 recovery (without bonding buff) you can put the rest in power.
7. Summoned Companion gear Offence slot: Power(radiant)
8. Summoned Companion gear defense slot: Defence(Azure)
9. Summoned Companion gear: Anything with Power/Recovery or Armor penetration/Defence.

About Plaguefire: if you equip summoned companion with power/armor penetration companion gear you can actually switch guild boons offence to power rather than armor penetration.

Recommended Artifacts
Wheel of Elements (Primary slot)
Sigil of the devoted (Primary slot Alternative)
Sigil of the Oathbound Paladin
Tiamat's Orb of Magesty
Sigil of the Hunter
Waters of Elah'zad

UPDATE: My current build also works in Fangbreaker island. Only thing I switch is switch to augment companion since it will boost Recovery to 11000+ my defense with the augmet companion is 15000+

And here’s my current companion setup:
https://youtu.be/0MJWjmmJDsM

Powers/playstyle

Daily: Shield of Faith, Judgment or divine protector.
Encounter: Templar's wrath/Burning light/relentless avenger or Divine touch
Class feature: Aura of courage (ALWAYS SLOTTED)/Aura of radiance/Aura of protection/Aura of wisdom
At-will: Oath Strike/Radiant Strike

Try to keep temporary hit points up
If you don't have a healer then shield of faith will be your main heal spell/protection try to keep this up as much as you can.
It takes time to know when you can start charging burning light. choose the moment when to charge up correctly.
Do not blindly use divine call conserve otherwise you'll end up waiting for your encounters to come out of cool down.
Remember your secondary role here..... cool down reduction & power buff.

I've already received a couple of questions about adding more critical hit chance. Sure it’s possible to boost your damage with it. But you'll have to sacrifice something to achieve that (most likely power).
And my personal opinion is no it's worth it. let’s say you have to sacrifice 4000 power to gain 4000 critical hit chance. I prefer boosting other players power by 1000 than the critical hit change anytime. Since that will allow even lower geared players to do better damage/healing.

And here's me in action (Module 10.5):
https://youtu.be/UsrslTEkiPI

For those of you who thinks you really need owlbear cub to do decent damage:
https://youtu.be/uNnDD4kxTbU

September 2:
Updated gear/companion
Added powers/playstyle section
Added new video

October 18:
Minor corrections
Added changes since last update (including video’s)

November 11:
Updated new CN video.(Module 10.5)
Updated to current rotation so far.
Post edited by justawilly on

Comments

• justawillyjustawilly Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 63 Arc User
    reserved
    and again reserved
  • sethan93sethan93 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Thanks a lot mate !
    My build is really close to yours. But I am using radiant on defense slots and silvery on offense...
    Mmmh might try your way of doing CN then... full offensive
  • algaefreealgaefree Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    My build is exactly the same as yours.
    edited August 2016
    that owlbear is just icing on the cake... you don't really need it to be an agresive tank. By not having owlbear cub, it gives you even more room on gear since then it wont matter if your gear gives critical hit chance or not.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited August 2016

that owlbear is just icing on the cake... you don't really need it to be an agresive tank. By not having owlbear cub, it gives you even more room on gear since then it wont matter if your gear gives critical hit chance or not.

edited August 2016
    Well if you got a bonding companion you could slap a companion equipment with crit chance in it. the stats has to come from somewhere. and if you don't have an owlbear you need some armor pen too.... I suggest use guild stronghold boon for this.
    Updated this just wanted to give a heads up
    Updated again to reflect my current build
  • omgitszephomgitszeph Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    any suggestion for a budget friendly alternative to owl bear as your augment? and thanks for the updates :D
    ~Intelligence is SEXXY, talk nerdy to me ~
    edited October 2016

any suggestion for a budget friendly alternative to owl bear as your augment? and thanks for the updates :D

Ioun stone of radiance would or Black dragon ioun stone. Basically what you're looking for is an augment with 3 offence slots.

And updated again:
    Added recommended artifacts
    Post edited by justawilly on
  • omgitszephomgitszeph Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    thanks a bunch :)
    ~Intelligence is SEXXY, talk nerdy to me ~
    Updated new rotation+video
  • helric9helric9 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Hey, why do you use augment pet for fbi ?
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    helric9 said:

Because in a number of places Bonding Pets are actually a hindrance, because they attack things you don't want attacked and so on.

Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • helric9helric9 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2016

helric9 said:

Because in a number of places Bonding Pets are actually a hindrance, because they attack things you don't want attacked and so on.

If you mean from de 2e boss to the last you only have to send it back, no big deal.
    I guess that it is not the reason.
    my augment is more recovery geared so I can protect the party better. CN is just "CN" if it weren't for the doors/barriers and cutscenes I would've rushed through it. xD
  • hornpub#6839 hornpub Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    abilty roll ?

18 constitution
    12 wisdom
    16 charisma
    I think you can get good results with focussing only on Constitution and Charisma.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    Woah, just woah. Im not sure if you are that full of yourself or actually misinformed but man you didn't tank anything at all during the Orcus fight in your first posted video. The whole fight was carried by the yeti and the AC/DC. You spamming BL just made my day though, funny stuff right there. Useless for your party but funny. I get why you didnt use Bane, but you could've at least used Smite for extra debuff on the boss although with that perma AA it wouldn't really matter would it.

On a side note Im glad someone out there is having fun with the Paladin. All other pally players who dont have rank 12 bondings and rank 12 anything for that matter will just have to stay in the corner for now.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.