test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

how to set directx

im running windows 7 ulitmate and when i boot the game im getting display so bad i cant even make out whats on the screen so ive read that it needs to be booted in directx9 but windows 7 uses directx 11 it also doing same thing for star trek online tried them both just to make sure . so does anyone know how i can set the game to load in directx9 or if it needs another please let me know because i cannot figure this out . thx um and system specs is dual core amd athlonx2 3800 , 2 gig ram , dell inspiron 531s if any of that helps

Comments

• Options
    samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I may have a solution for you (assuming you have drive space and a fair knowledge of computers) if you don't mind using a dual boot. I can post a more detailed answer later but I am working at present. I formatted my old single CPU, Zotac Micro PC with Linux Ubuntu 14.04, and then set Neverwinter to run in WINE 1.8.4. I get a decent play (when their network is working) and best of all no DirectX needed.

Here are some links: http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/
    WINE: Play on Linux and WINE HQ Reviews

You can use other Linux distros but I only know for sure about Ubuntu. I was told if memory is an issue to use Lubuntu or Xubuntu. But my experiment with the micro seems to be fine with the Ubuntu.
    Post edited by sameriker on
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    What he maybe asking for is how to start Neverwinter in DX9. When you start Neverwinter you should have the Launcher window open up which allows you to enter your password. In the upper right hand corner should be an Options tab. Opening the Options you should see a line for "Command Line". My notes are a bit messy so I see two possible options to use in the command line. The first is " -d3d9 ". The other is " -usesm20 ". NOTE that you have to include the dash "-". Now if you have your game to auto log in with your password saved, then you probably will not see the Launcher window. Can't remember how to change that off the top of my head, so maybe someone else will chime in on that, as well as to which of the two options is the proper one. Hope you get it figured out.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    So will the game run better with DX9? I have Windows 7 installed too and as the OP said, it comes with DX11. I'm pretty sure the in-game option is set to DX11, although it could be auto. Previously when I loaded the game in DX9 by using that command I would get constant crashes. I still get crashes once in a while but not with any regularity as that.

Weird thing is that the only NVIDIA update for me that works with the game is from March 2015. Every one released since then crashes my game. I don't even bother checking the driver updates to my graphics card anymore.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    I don't know if the game handles DX9 any better or worse but it can run without DirectX completely. That was my point. I find most crashes are the result of network failure. Unless you get an error message telling you that DirectX was the result of the crash, it is more likely due to the server not responding. After the game crashes you might want to view the crash logs.
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    perklyssperklyss Member Posts: 4 New User
    > @sameriker said:
    > I may have a solution for you (assuming you have drive space and a fair knowledge of computers) if you don't mind using a dual boot. I can post a more detailed answer later but I am working at present. I formatted my old single CPU, Zotac Micro PC with Linux Ubuntu 14.04, and then set Neverwinter to run in WINE 1.8.4. I get a decent play (when their network is working) and best of all no DirectX needed.
    >
    > Here are some links:
    > WINE: Play on Linux and WINE HQ Reviews
    >
    > You can use other Linux distros but I only know for sure about Ubuntu. I was told if memory is an issue to use Lubuntu or Xubuntu. But my experiment with the micro seems to be fine with the Ubuntu.

That is the most ridiculous response to a directx issue I have ever seen DO NOT REPLACE WINDOWS with wine to play games, Windows stomps wine and you know it. If someone can't figure out they haven't installed the prerequisite DX9c you think they can handle Linux? I am downloading Neverwinter right now so I don't know if it will have it but most games have the prerequisite file in a subfolder under the main game folder. Download DX9 from MS or look for under one of you other game folders if neverwinter does not include it. If the game does not have a spot to set which Dx version to use do not worry it will use what it needs to then. Linux is great for many things but Windows is still better for games although Steam is is improving things for Linux I hear. Remember Linux was going to overtake Windows on the desktop like a decade ago lol. Had to delete your link because I am new and it would not let me post it.
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    ghosty2a said:

What he maybe asking for is how to start Neverwinter in DX9. When you start Neverwinter you should have the Launcher window open up which allows you to enter your password. In the upper right hand corner should be an Options tab. Opening the Options you should see a line for "Command Line". My notes are a bit messy so I see two possible options to use in the command line. The first is " -d3d9 ". The other is " -usesm20 ". NOTE that you have to include the dash "-". Now if you have your game to auto log in with your password saved, then you probably will not see the Launcher window. Can't remember how to change that off the top of my head, so maybe someone else will chime in on that, as well as to which of the two options is the proper one. Hope you get it figured out.

-d3d11enable 0 -d3d9

Shader model 2 (-usesm20) are before directx9 iirc, and it's really really old, I don't think the game will work in that mode correctly.
  • Options
    perklyss said:

That is the most ridiculous response to a directx issue I have ever seen DO NOT REPLACE WINDOWS with wine to play games, Windows stomps wine and you know it. If someone can't figure out they haven't installed the prerequisite DX9c you think they can handle Linux? I am downloading Neverwinter right now so I don't know if it will have it but most games have the prerequisite file in a subfolder under the main game folder. Download DX9 from MS or look for under one of you other game folders if neverwinter does not include it. If the game does not have a spot to set which Dx version to use do not worry it will use what it needs to then. Linux is great for many things but Windows is still better for games although Steam is is improving things for Linux I hear. Remember Linux was going to overtake Windows on the desktop like a decade ago lol. Had to delete your link because I am new and it would not let me post it.

Well someone has a hair up their HAMSTER. Please learn to read, I simply stated this is for "older machines" or "machines with issues". I never said this out performs Windows. But Linux on its own, does do well. I use my micro more often as I am on it now to surf the internet without all the hassle. Linux is not a "gaming OS" but really neither is Windows. The PC was first and foremost an office machine. If you really want or desire gaming performance get yourself a PS4. I can still run the game on Windows 10 without much fuss, but installed my XP on the new machine as dual boot and it seems to work better. I am assuming the Windows XP 32 bit OS has a little to do with it. The Cryptic game engine is pretty old and hasn't changed all that much since the days of Champions Online or Star Trek.

As for your Linux overtake Windows comment... that happened. Android, Chromebooks, and many tablets and phones now use some form of Linux. Linux was even called the most secure OS by the NSA, who authored their own flavor called SE Linux.
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User

im running windows 7 ulitmate and when i boot the game im getting display so bad i cant even make out whats on the screen so ive read that it needs to be booted in directx9 but windows 7 uses directx 11 it also doing same thing for star trek online tried them both just to make sure . so does anyone know how i can set the game to load in directx9 or if it needs another please let me know because i cannot figure this out . thx um and system specs is dual core amd athlonx2 3800 , 2 gig ram , dell inspiron 531s if any of that helps

I wonder where did u read that by doing it u fix your problem?

Also have u even wondered that your spec are just barely fit minimal requirement to run nwo? U running windows 7 ultimate.. I hope it's not x64 bit os. Because with 2gb of ram to use x64 bit os is kinda nonsense. But if happened that u do have x64 bit, then there are 2 options. Either switch from x64 bit to x32 bit win 7. Or add extra 2 gb of ram.
    Your GPU also is kinda low spec,
    if your pc is
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2192524,00.asp?tab=Specs

and your gpu
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-2400.3773.0.html

Thats mean you are lucky that your pc even manage to run this game.. :)

If u want so, here is link to window seven forum, where guys write how to run game in older version DX,,
    http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/59397-force-directx-9-a.html
    Now, I remind u, that all changes u make whats written in that forum is your own responsability. After all in the end its u must push buttons. Also even this link is safe, I discourage download any files from that forum. :)

Also other possibility is that your system don't have proper optimization. With your spec pc, I would disable all other no needed processes to leave as much ram pool as can for game. Also decrease load to CPU.
    But all optimization probably would increase your performance at ~10% no more. And it would not be big improvement.

To put in simple line> Your Hardwares spec are to low for Neverwinter<.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    In case this hasn't been solved yet, the issue could be the resolution scale or something being <1.00... It's found in the 'Display' tab I think, drag it all the way to 1.00.
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    swoods74swoods74 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    options, display tab, top line , you can select direct x you want to run (requires restart)