test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

back to old discussions: Piercing Blades needs a look for good.

clonkyo1clonkyo1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,553 Arc User
It is, basically, the new "Storm Spell", dealing most of the HR's damage for free which means, it's over performing. This needs to be looked into ASAP .
Random Quotes:
- "perfect vorpal on TR with 100% crit chance is flat 50% dmg increase"
- "30% defense reduction does not necessarily mean 30% damage increase"
- "Oh!! 'Professions!!' :facepalm: , Good luck!"
- "For anyone who wants to change their enchants but wants unbound ones, trading with players/using the auction house is the way to go"
- About Barb's Avalanche of Steel: "Basically a perfect daily attack. That's the problem; it is immaculately PERFECT."

Comments

• Options
    divectoredivectore Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    It's a 50% of attacks damage as unresistible, and if you have a hunter ranger, you'll notice that most of encounters excepting plant growth, have 4-7k base damage, so 2 to 3k unresistible damage per encounter with 10 to 15 secs cooldown (only trapper which doesnot have piering blades can spam encounters), now with at-wills, base damage is 1 to 3k, so 1 to 2k of piercing damage.
    The HRs that you see overperforming will overperform with any class and any build, you simply cannot contain damage when you have 40k power as base.
    I don't know what HR you have seen, but my damage as a combat HR comes from Blade Hurricane.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    clonkyo1 said:

snip.

Oh i was talkin about pve, for pvp of curse piercing damage will deal the most damage, after all, is piercing damage, is meant to be pvp towards.
    It's not that piercing damage deal so much damage, it's just that enemy players have so much defenses that power effectiveness is about 20% now, while piercing damage will always be 100%.
    Back in feedback time, i propose to change Piercing Blades to be something like "You deal 50% additional melee damage, half of that damage is unresistable"
    this would make no change in pve, but for pvp, it would make piercing blades half of effective (25% piercing damage), i think everybody could be happy with those changes.

Also, TR with 100% crit chance (and 75% crit severity), a perfect vorpal would mean a net 28,6% damage increase.
  • Options
    ionvnegativoionvnegativo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    The HR is right, only PB from plant growth tics hard, 15k to 20k, like 3 or 4 times (i dont have a HR so idk exactly), but if you get caught with an entire melee rotation you will simply lose like 100k to 120k counting piercing and normal damage in a blink, which is too high.

Compare with an executioner TR (22k power+12k ArmP), shadow of demise(only 1 encounter at atime proccs the feat) has 6 secs CD and with and entire rotation it deals no more than a 20k-25k (so 75k piercing and normal damage total). If you invest in armp you cant have high recovery, so encounter powers cd are long.

So HR is overbuffed or other classes PATHS are underperforming.

Given the state of DC, GFs, OP and any other tanky builds/classes, that HR damage burst is necessary. After 3 years of playing you should expect that broken things are compesated with more broken/disgusting mechanics.
  • Options
    aderonzaderonz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    Each class has its own kind of brokiness, which makes me feel that this module is the most balanced so far ( i'm pretty sure many players feels the same ). Basicaly TR,GF,GWF and combat HR can smoke anyone caught offgard in matter of seconds, Thats what DD are meant to.
    PG/Split strike combo is overperforming on paper but in reality unless you're under CC, you should not die from it.

There is barely enough blood spileld right now in PVP , people should stop complaining about HR PB, TR SE and GF/GWF burst => withotu those no one will die in PVP
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    aderonz said:

There is barely enough blood spileld right now in PVP , people should stop complaining about HR PB, TR SE and GF/GWF burst => withotu those no one will die in PVP

What matches have you been in?
    SWs can shred quickly, HRs just as fast. A GOOD CW can manage just about any class. A MI Exec will take down most with an SE, but there are other builds that do not use SE... that kill often and are not even MIs. GFs and GWFs are all the same... OPs have become babysitters, along with DCs.

Balanced it is... but it could be a lot better. It would be nice if people were able to chose any of the 3 paths, of the 2 choices... and still be viable in anything.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    divectore said:

It's a 50% of attacks damage as unresistible, and if you have a hunter ranger, you'll notice that most of encounters excepting plant growth, have 4-7k base damage, so 2 to 3k unresistible damage per encounter with 10 to 15 secs cooldown (only trapper which doesnot have piering blades can spam encounters), now with at-wills, base damage is 1 to 3k, so 1 to 2k of piercing damage.
    The HRs that you see overperforming will overperform with any class and any build, you simply cannot contain damage when you have 40k power as base.
    I don't know what HR you have seen, but my damage as a combat HR comes from Blade Hurricane.

You are talking (well typing) but saying nothing bro. Its obvious rangers are suddenly paingivers regardless of item level in pve and super killers for little effort in pvp. At least the GF's rotation I can resist..
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    aderonzaderonz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    drkbodhi said:

aderonz said:

What matches have you been in?
    SWs can shred quickly, HRs just as fast. A GOOD CW can manage just about any class. A MI Exec will take down most with an SE, but there are other builds that do not use SE... that kill often and are not even MIs. GFs and GWFs are all the same... OPs have become babysitters, along with DCs.

Balanced it is... but it could be a lot better. It would be nice if people were able to chose any of the 3 paths, of the 2 choices... and still be viable in anything.
    There will always be an optimal/best build per class in any game , asking for all 3 paths of every class to be optimal in PVP is just unrealistic. As long as there is a viable path for each class i can't complain especialy when in previous mods most of the time it was one class long way ahead of the others, you might disagree with this but i find the stat of balance right now to be quiet acceptable (i play a hybrid trapper hr ).
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    Always funny how people try to defend obviously broken stuff. Either they claim observations are limited to a specific build and or power level or references to op abilities of other classes are made.

Sorry boys, the devs already noticed. Foss said on the livestream they'll be looking into the HR again because they "are still not sure they made HR right".​​
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Given that we don't really have much else as combat, except piercing and wild med to boost healing, it's actually more balanced than you'd think. Given equal gear in PvP, my HR is definitely not a one rotation death machine compared to something like a good GF. I can severely dent you sure, but if you've a D.C. in support, or a CW, I'm either dead or ineffective.

A gwf couldn't beat me without help, a TR will stalemate me, GF is a toss up, DCs are still immortal, SWs another toss up depending on what build they use, OPs ditto still immortal, CWs again usually stalemate, but they'll win the node 1 on 1, simply by blowing me off and icing me off node. Another HR, toss up depending on item level and build.

Waste everyone's time with something else pls. Clonk.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    clonkyo1 said:

(clonkyo1 is spechless right now.... Need time to recover his breath)

I were about to edit my answer to make a reply. I had read that sentence again, i'm facedesking hard...

It's not rocket science, a example would be:
    1.75 (base crit severity) + 1.50 (perfect vorpal) = 2.25
    So a hit of 10'000 damage with perfect vorpal would be 10'000 * 2.25 = 22'500
    Or
    10'000 * 1.75 = 17500
    17500 * 1.28576 ( which is 28,6% ) = 22'500.
    So if you have less than 63% crit chance, a feytouch could be better for you.
  • Options
    quorb#1247 quorb Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    jonkoca nailed it.

HR's are not the problem with this game, it's the horrific matchmaking system and disparity of dumping all players together in a blender of low item level against premades with the best gear in the game. There's zero chance for PUG groups to win the match, let alone scratch or tickle the other team. Just a complete waste of time with the outcome decided before the match even began.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    jonkoca wrote: »
    Given that we don't really have much else as combat, except piercing and wild med to boost healing, it's actually more balanced than you'd think. Given equal gear in PvP, my HR is definitely not a one rotation death machine compared to something like a good GF. I can severely dent you sure, but if you've a D.C. in support, or a CW, I'm either dead or ineffective.

A gwf couldn't beat me without help, a TR will stalemate me, GF is a toss up, DCs are still immortal, SWs another toss up depending on what build they use, OPs ditto still immortal, CWs again usually stalemate, but they'll win the node 1 on 1, simply by blowing me off and icing me off node. Another HR, toss up depending on item level and build.

Waste everyone's time with something else pls. Clonk.

Don't think this is accurate. It may "feel" this way for certain power levels and matchups, but Piercing Blades is exactly the skill that is way too powerful on lower tiers and gets a little bit less annoying the more you approach BIS. But everything gets a little bit less annoying approaching BIS because the builds at the top can hardly be killed 1v1 anyway.​​