test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Been away for 2 years. Is it worth coming back

zickyjackszickyjacks Member Posts: 144 Arc User
As it says in the title. Last time I was around plague fire was viable. Is it worth coming back?

Comments

• Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Yes, they are doing rebalancing on the classes and just released a solo queue option for pvp!!!
    There are several new campaigns for you to enjoy that have a cool story!
    The new bosses are harder.
    There is a new dungeon for level >3.1 IL players
  • Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    I took a 6 month break and it was a wise decision. Many things have changed but the game is better than ever if you can adapt to the changes.

One thing never changes though... I still craft many, many pairs of pants.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    shadw2012 said:

And PF was never not-viable in PvE. there's no such thing as too many debuffs. It's usually worn by DCs or CWs (although many CWs opt for vorpal for the epeen stats) these days.

Not true, Dread is a bit better than vorpal for us CW's :)
    He wasn't saying PF was "better" or "worse" - just that it's very good. Terror is too outside of PvP. You're right, though, Dread is very good provided you have a high enough crit to make full use of it (yes yes, EotS... not every CW uses that though - MoF for instance has no access to it). But, like Vorpal, the biggest use of Dread comes when you crit - if you don't crit, it doesn't proc. So... for CWs that don't have high crit chances, PF or terror or fey or whatever else, is a better choice.
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    kvet said:

biggest use of Dread comes when you crit - if you don't crit, it doesn't proc.

I seem to recall that Trans. Dread on PC right now procs on every hit, although I don't think that's WAI so we shouldn't depend on it. Might be wrong about this, it's been a few weeks since I verified.

Back to the OP's question. I think that in a sense there is MORE of everything (more dailies, more campaigns, more gear, more boons) but the game hasn't really changed nature all that much.
    1. If you liked the plots and soloing to enjoy individual game play and the rich combat mechanics (which they are, when they're not terribly broken) that's all still available. And there's more of it.
    2. If you liked min/maxing to the point of trivializing content, or you liked the bug-hunting aspect of end-game optimization and dungeon running, that's still around. They've been doing some re-balances recently so there's a lot of exploring builds / verifying interaction going on if you're into that. As it was in the early days, there are still a considerable number of bugs / unintended interactions to explore, if not more haha.
    3. If you liked the community aspect, now we have Strongholds and Alliances which are pretty great at bringing people together towards common goals.
    4. If you liked PVP, then bummer. And you saw 2 years ago the slow decline. That decline has continued. PVP is lackluster, but a brand new solo q event starting this week is giving us some optimism that PVP may eventually get some love too.
    5. If you liked foundry, then bummer. It hasn't been updated since you last checked haha.
    Some UIs have changed (I'll stop short of saying "improved"). There are some new zones. All the powers have been re-balanced a few times. The core of the game is still great. If you liked running dungeons with a group of friends, this games till excels at that.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Honestly? Unless you feel like slaving over dailies 3h a day and then farm for refinement points until you're bored to tears to get your character to a decent level of power, no. That's what I did and it took me most of the afternoons of my summer vacation, after a one year break. If I knew what to expect I'd never be back in the first place. The worst part is that I'm far from done...

The sad thing about this game is that if you play for fun (dungeons, pvp), you get nothing done, and instead you have to do stupid daily tasks and silly heroic encounters that are heroic in name only, because pathetic would be more appropriate. And if you tale a break you're punished because of the silly accumulative layers of grind that were added over the years.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    Is it worth coming back? That depends on how much real world money you have to spend.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    50 bucks will plce you into nice armor.

Armor that is on part with lions mane for pvp.

Armor that is on part with dragons flight for pve
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User

As it says in the title. Last time I was around plague fire was viable. Is it worth coming back?

Not worth. Too much grind.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    moomoocow001moomoocow001 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    So as a player who quit when the market was flooded with hundreds (if not thousands) of dupe gear from the highest dungeon (can't remember the name, had an evil eye as first boss and tentacles at the end), should I just quit my patching? I remember trying at the start of the year and uninstalled 10 minutes in as the screen was just a mess. I'm thinking I should start from scratch but the time I invested into my only toon (human gwf) makes me not want to do that.
  • Options
    throsbithrosbi Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    measuring worth is like asking if something is beautiful, it all depends and not just the underwear ;)

if you have time to kill that refuses to die in any other way than why not
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Question for everyone saying not to come back - if the game is such a mess, why are you still lurking in the forums criticizing it? If it's not for you, move on and do something you enjoy more.

My opinion - Module 6 was the low point in the game. It's now on a, at times windy, path toward a better place. I enjoy playing, shortcomings and all.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

Question for everyone saying not to come back - if the game is such a mess, why are you still lurking in the forums criticizing it? If it's not for you, move on and do something you enjoy more.

My opinion - Module 6 was the low point in the game. It's now on a, at times windy, path toward a better place. I enjoy playing, shortcomings and all.

To much time and effort invested already, starting a different game from 0 is not an option. & Guild etc...
  • Options
    shiva79#6664 shiva79 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    think it depends on the account, and on expectations from people, how much time or money they are interested to invest, for reaching endgame.
    i got my mains upgraded, before removement of coals from tarmalunde store, and enchantments from skillnodes.
    with the games current state of refinement (time invested and costs), i would not recommend it to any of my friends, if they wanna start playing a new account, or come back with a not so well geared account.
    combat system always was fantastic, but especially in the last 6 months, toon progress got disencouraging.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    The OP has not visited the forum again after their original post 19 days ago.

So, mission accomplished. They have been successfully run off. Can we close this now?
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Lol so true...please close this pathetic excuse for a thread.
  • Options
    mok33mok33 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    Nah, keep it open for funsies.
  • Options
    octoberish#2976 octoberish Member Posts: 1 New User
    Im a new player, about how many ppl still play on PC, I have ps4 and PC, but playing an MMORPG doesn't feel right on console. Feedback?
  • Options
    yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User

Im a new player, about how many ppl still play on PC, I have ps4 and PC, but playing an MMORPG doesn't feel right on console. Feedback?

according to their latest ad more than those who play wow.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    That ad measured accounts. There are 12 million accounts across all platforms. It is unclear whether that counts banned accounts (I would guess it excluded banned accounts), but almost certainly doesn't take into consideration active bot accounts. Further, it's unclear whether that 12 million takes into consideration inactive accounts and if so, what the definition of an inactive account would be. My hunch is that it did not take that into account and is merely a nice round number that reflects the total number of accounts that are still active (not necessarily actively played, but rather not banned or deleted).

A better stat, that they will never share, would be the number of unique account logins in a given month with any accounts that have been banned removed from the count. I would love to see a per-month trend of that over the past year. Steam's stats don't really tell the full story since a lot of people have stopped playing NW via Steam (but still play Neverwinter) for various reasons (such as probation on Zen purchases via Steam). This data will never be shared because I have a hunch it wouldn't tell a very rosy story about Neverwinter's playership... but I still wish they'd share it.
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    I also was away for 18 months.
    The game is still highly addictive, the pressure on players has increased (from 3x invoke to 7xinvoke) with less reward.
    Recently the gateway was disabled "due to botting". (read: to expensive to maintain)
    The recommendation I could give you would be redacted, so I dare not recommend you to look for other games.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!