test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

HR Combat skills in PvP

quorb#1247 quorb Member Posts: 53 Arc User
Just looking for some advice on some combat skills that *work* effectively in PvP which synergize with the tree, and others to avoid. I'm currently a Trapper spec, and have to say that I don't really enjoy it.

I lean mostly on the PvP side, so I plan to completely respec and go with a heavy combat build. I need a different playstyle, and have read from others they enjoy it quite a bit.

I'm not looking for specific builds, feats, and boons. Just some basic advice and suggestions for skills that will make me competitive and staples with a heavy a combat build for the Hunter Ranger in PvP. Plan on going the Stormwarden route.

I'm on the PS4 platform. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions offered!

Comments

• Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I played Combat in pvp until Mod 6? when they changed node capping. I could hold up a node until reinforcements arrived but Combat damage has been really low since the initial Piercing Blade change which meant I couldn't kill anything. I stopped pvp completely soon afterwards but no-one has seriously played Combat in pvp until Mod 10 dropped. As you are PS4 you won't have Mod 10 yet so no HR changes, therefore I suggest you stay Trapper for now.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Lots of HP.

As many of the insignia heals as you can afford.

Elven battle, as high as you can afford. Feytouched ditto.

Pathfinder. For pathfinders action. Slashers too maybe.

Foxes/plantgrowth/other - thornward, hindering, gushing wound etc. are all good, even ambush sometimes.

Disrupting and ghost. Lone wolf and pathfinders action for max tank.

Note. This is mod10 on the pc. I don't know where PS4 is atm. But if it's still the old version of combat, you're in for a lot of frustration.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Guess I will just stick it out with Trapper until Mod 10 drops on the PS4 sometime down the road.

Appreciate it.
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    I haven't played full trapper since day 1 of mod 10. I noticed no real improvement over mod 9, in which we were toothless.

For full combat it's all about waiting for the right time to use an encounter and then following up with two seconds of split strike. Ambush is good for staying alive but bear trap is awful. Boar charge is good for keeping people in plant growth/split strike. I'd probably go with boar/fox/plant growth if I were playing full combat. Feytouched isnn't spectacular and if you take gambit with a high crit build and a trans dread or vorpal you'll do ungodly piercing damage.
  • Options
    Thanks, feanor.

I might just switch anyway, because I just really am not "feeling" the Trapper. Besides, I think it might be in my best interest to get used to the Combat style and mechanics of the tree in preparation of Mod 10 down the road.

I'm getting whomped in Domination and Gauntlgrym most of the time anyway, might as well be doing it with something I might enjoy a lot more. I have some good moments here and there, but it doesn't matter what the spec is as I'm flying solo and living the PUG life.
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    I've been on a murder spree with thorn/fox/plant growth (reslotting marauder's for fox when possible, dealing with repelbots) and a trans vorpal since I respecced. I get a LOT of recovery from epic mastery insignias. I saw a pvp guild archer today who managed to rack up some kills by fighting from pillars and so on, but he was useless at capping nodes and died in a couple of seconds when I could get hold of him. Combat is the way to go until they nerf piercing again.
  • Options
    Yeah, Fox, thorn and PG is what I use too. CWs are also the biggest problem to get hold of. With shield and repel...

I wish we had 3 at wills. When I slot split and CA,, I miss aimed shot, and when I slot split and aimed, I miss CA. ☺
  • Options
    krondhorkrondhor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User
    I used Fox/thorn/plant growth myself as rotation for like 3 weeks, but since few days I changed completely my rotation to Ambush/Hindering Shot/Plant growth and I feel performing better, I am also using Split Shot and CA as at-wills.
    GRAVITY X GAME
  • Options
    Yeah, still difficult to find the one size fits all rotation atm. last night I used marauders for a couple of matches which was fun, marauder in boar prone, plantgrowth, dead. Wouldn't work against anyone bis though I don't think.

Really wish gushing wound was quicker animation wise. CA plus PB plus magistrates consideration is a good dot combo as well, probably enough to negate most of the insignia healing. And/Or the dot from green glyphs on top.

Active artifact for me is a problem too. I usually have oghma on, because cc, rod of restraint is lethal, but clunky to land, and both have stats I don't need. Deflect I have in spades, recovery I have enough of. Thinking of adding a manticore talon or a symbol of water, or even tiamats orb, but not sure I have the will to level another myhtic artifact.

I keep thinking hit points, but surely 170k is enough..?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    jonkoca said:

Yeah, still difficult to find the one size fits all rotation atm. last night I used marauders for a couple of matches which was fun, marauder in boar prone, plantgrowth, dead. Wouldn't work against anyone bis though I don't think.

Really wish gushing wound was quicker animation wise. CA plus PB plus magistrates consideration is a good dot combo as well, probably enough to negate most of the insignia healing. And/Or the dot from green glyphs on top.

Active artifact for me is a problem too. I usually have oghma on, because cc, rod of restraint is lethal, but clunky to land, and both have stats I don't need. Deflect I have in spades, recovery I have enough of. Thinking of adding a manticore talon or a symbol of water, or even tiamats orb, but not sure I have the will to level another myhtic artifact.

I have 180k and so far in last 10 dominion PVP I've did I died only twice, and both in the same match against a TR which was one-shotting literally anybody doing over 200-210k damage, but beside him that's all to report :smile:
    GRAVITY X GAME
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    krondhor said:

jonkoca said:

I have 180k and so far in last 10 dominion PVP I've did I died only twice, and both in the same match against a TR which was one-shotting literally anybody doing over 200-210k damage, but beside him that's all to report :smile:
    My Guild has not built the HP Boon :(

Bit of a bummer that... I can hardly get over 120k HP myself. One of the reasons I have not tried to PvP for quite some time.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    wdj40 said:

krondhor said:

jonkoca said:

My Guild has not built the HP Boon :(

Bit of a bummer that... I can hardly get over 120k HP myself. One of the reasons I have not tried to PvP for quite some time.
    Yes the HP boon is a must have in both PVE/PVP, it's a shame your guild didn't took one of the most important boons in the game, try make them change mind.
    GRAVITY X GAME
  • Options
    In most dungeons you can get by with lower HP and good lifesteal, but in Fangbanger island, it really helps to have a tonne of HP.