test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need help with Archery PvP build.

eliybeatseliybeats Member Posts: 186 Arc User
Hey guys, I've been tryingto use Archery in pvp to play more of a sniper role and it has it's ups and downs. The ups, I can nearly oneshot someone who isn't aware I'm around them and depending on their stats. The down, I haven't much defensive stats and even with a lot of tenacity (which I have little) I can see it being really hard to protect myself. I know I will be ate up in pvp and am pretty much (though not all the time), just trying to figure out how to ake the best of this build. It can be fun. The main encounters I use are Longstrider's, HawkShot, and Commanding Shot with Aimed Strike and Rapid Strike or Electric shot encounters. If you have any suggestions please help a brother out lol.

Comments

• Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Archers have had a hard time of it in pvp since the Constricting Arrow change and the loss of the pvp movement speed set bonus to an extent. We are squishy as hell and there is nothing we can do to remedy the situation. Other than survivability issues, archery also lacks CC which makes things even more difficult. With Aimed Shot working the way it does now, Archery is a one-trick pony with Hawk and Ambush, having the ability to one-shot players, but once they are engaged it's game-over. I suggest not playing an archer in pvp, although that is probably not what you want to hear.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I can't add anything to what lirith said really.

You could kinda play a TR version of archer, using ambush, forest ghost, longstrider, and hawkshot. You would probably need oghma artifact to break you free of cc, so you could run off into the shadows.

Something like longstrider shot for the buff, Hawkeye, ambush, hawkshot, aimed shot. I dunno how well the buffs would stack, but I bet alongside the archer tree buffs that would be a helluva combo.

You wouldn't be able to contest a node though.

Tell me how it works out, makes me almost wanna blow a respecc just to see. ☺
    Post edited by jonkoca on
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    arbitrarityarbitrarity Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 96 Arc User
    I've done this. It actually works not too bad, in that you can deal enough damage to force people off nodes, and one-shot people without tenacity, but high-end PvPers most shrug off your hits. You also get the ability to run like the wind, which helps a lot versus GWFs chasing you down, especially if you make Aimed Shot your mainhand specialization. Also, geared DCs can completely ignore you 1v1, as they can mot classes, which is frustrating.
  • Options
    mayday#2798 mayday Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    i have done some pvp with my 2.5k HR, lol.
    as i had low base damage, only longshot was of any use, so i started to play as an assister, with thorn ward, StS and longstrinder.
    1 vs 1 (against other lol-ilvl-plancton, like me) if the enemy stayed under the sts cloud i managed to kill, but all in all, 1 vs 1 is HAMSTER, so just push forest ghost and run away.

If i was striking from backline i was able to do some damage, StS and thorn ward crits were doing good damage with longshot, and i figured out that attack speed is the way to go if armpen is low, at high armpen the one-shot build can be better, dunno.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    With all the extra tenacity around these days, 3500 is reachable easily, some people have about 70+ % arpen resist in PvP.

To cut through every defence you have to figure 70 resist + 30-ish defence + 30-ish negation. And then I'm never sure if the defence from tenacity, 40+ %, is additive or multiplicative to/of your natural defence so you are looking at a grand total of 170% arpen to be sure.

That's a hellacious amount of arpen, you'd need arpen artifacts like lostmauth horn, gwf sigil, kessels spheres, the sh boon, and a legacy axebeak. That would give you and extra 15k arpen, all darks for 4.2k and 800 for armor kits to even hope to reach that amount.

And it's one of those stats in PvP that's kinda all or nothing, anything you stack that's under 70% is a total waste, because it just gets resisted.

Put it this way, before I swapped my lolset for the imperial, I had about 55% arpen base in PvP. Sometimes I'd use the axebeak 4000 àrpen mount bonus and go up to about 95% arpen, and it made no difference I could see at all.
  • Options
    jonkoca said:

With all the extra tenacity around these days, 3500 is reachable easily, some people have about 70+ % arpen resist in PvP.

To cut through every defence you have to figure 70 resist + 30-ish defence + 30-ish negation. And then I'm never sure if the defence from tenacity, 40+ %, is additive or multiplicative to/of your natural defence so you are looking at a grand total of 170% arpen to be sure.

That's a hellacious amount of arpen, you'd need arpen artifacts like lostmauth horn, gwf sigil, kessels spheres, the sh boon, and a legacy axebeak. That would give you and extra 15k arpen, all darks for 4.2k and 800 for armor kits to even hope to reach that amount.

And it's one of those stats in PvP that's kinda all or nothing, anything you stack that's under 70% is a total waste, because it just gets resisted.

Put it this way, before I swapped my lolset for the imperial, I had about 55% arpen base in PvP. Sometimes I'd use the axebeak 4000 àrpen mount bonus and go up to about 95% arpen, and it made no difference I could see at all.

that is a 20k armpen. or about -150% resist, and there are also some RI boons, so -155% (about, +-), then there are rings, insignia, gear stats, artefact stat, STR ability score.... so you can go close to 160% RI. but the question is - is it worth it?
  • Options
    Short answer, no.
  • Options
    arbitrarityarbitrarity Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 96 Arc User
    Actually, arpen resist is multiplicative, last time I checked, and tenacity damage reduction is additive with other sources of damage resistance. This means that if you have say 150% RI, arpen resist cuts that to 0.3*150 = 45% (which then basically removes the target's tenacity damage resistance, leaving them with natural plus maybe negation). The good news is that this means that any amount of arpen that gets the target below 80% mitigation is doing its job. The bad news is that stacking 150% arpen will not instantly kill anything.
  • Options
    Then, armpen seems useless.
    Also, longshot doesn't benefit from power, buffs and debuffs.