test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How much does race actually matter?

caveckcaveck Member Posts: 38 Arc User
I've started a TR yesterday, (only l16 atm) and I chose drow as my race. I plan on focusing mainly on pve. After reading up on a couple builds I noticed they pretty much all recommend human, half Orc, and dragon born. I was wondering if racial traits have much of an impact in endgame. Should I reroll as one of the 3 above? Or are the race traits not that significant.

Comments

• Options
    blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    Start new, 16 lvls is not much, get half orc and reroll stats till u get 18 str and dex. Well if u look at it as 1 case it doesnt seem much but when u have few such cases it adds up and it matters.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Choosing a race that does not support DEX, let alone STR at the same time will indeed be a small chunk to performance.

There's nothing wrong with going Drow. It doesn't not gain extra STR, but you still at least have extra deflect due to CHA.
  • Options
    talon1970talon1970 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 152 Arc User
    And don't forget the Darkfire race bonus.
    For me, the game has changed from the "yeah personal dps is best!!!" to "hmmm what is possible with buff/debuff??"

So i would also say, drow is a good option for a pve Tr.
  • Options
    sicklikeflusicklikeflu Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    I played a drow tr for about a year.
    Granted I had a poor initial roll, but when I switched to a different race, I gained 5-7% damage.

Charisma is next to useless IMO. Companion influence is garbage, deflect is good, but you can get enough with putting points in dex, and a reasonable cha roll.
  • Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    roll a Dragonborn/Human/Tiefling/Half-Orc (PvE).
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Some races will have stats better situated to a TR than others, but overall it should only be a difference of 2 points or so if you're allocating correctly (Dex and Str foremost; Cha secondary), which is only really about 2% of a damage boost difference.
    Certain racial traits may account for a further couple of %, but that's about it.

If you choose a non-ideal race, it should be less than a 5% overall damage difference. So instead of getting 120k on your paingiver chart, you might only get 114k.
    If you can live with that, then stick with the race you want and/or looks best. If you want to min/max? Then yes, consider half-orc, dragonborn, tiefling, or human.
  • Options
    someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Roll a handsome; who cares about stats?
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    races really dont matter much as far as you rolled the initial scores right for your build.
    btw tiefling/human/dragonborn/halfling are the best choices.
    since you are only lv 16 i would start again, we are talking about 1 hour and half of leveling
  • Options
    metikulousmetikulous Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    This is my dilemma at the moment as well. As someone that likes to pvp+pve messing up your starting race and ability score rolls is the difference between a race reroll token or retraining token.

Halfling for the sweet sweet deflect bonuses (7% from +2 dex/cha and nimble reaction)
    Human for extra heroic points
    Half orc/Dragonborn for max dps

As someone that hasn't played a rogue since before any modules were released and came back for PS4, how important is action advantage in pvp/pve? Couple of guides I have read disagree on its usefulness.