test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DPS Solo paladin

kennp#4160 kennp Member Posts: 5 Arc User
I have searched and searched, found so many builds and wonderful advice. Yet my search isnt complete. Simply put..I am seeking some build advice for leveling my paladin to 70..I enjoy doing the Dungeons and also Love the story content. I wanna dps and complete the solo content as best I can. I would also like to join the dungeons as I level. But I wanna contribute to the group as a whole.. either as a tank or healer. I am leaning to Tank, but can they heal, I guess I want something that survives...does decent dps.. and can self heal and maybe help the party as well. is there such a thing?

Comments

• kennp#4160 kennp Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I feel insecure, I have played so many mmo's and I Simply enjoy Neverwinter and the Paladin. But I feel like I am spending all my points wrong..I am drawing close to getting my prestige class and want to make the right choice
    I dont want a dps class, perhaps I simply am unable to make my point clear or what I am seeking. probably a mistake posting here..your answer is a over simplification. I have seen healing specs that are not good for general leveling, I want advice..not someone to tell me to roll something else..
    thanks for everyones comments, Think ill just figure it out myself.
  • soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    leveling should not even be bad, i actually found it easier than leveling my ranger until my ranger was in the mid 50's(back when 60 was the cap). the advantage for the pally at lower levels is you may not ever even die. on mission where you are required to kill a certain number of enemies, you can often aggro multiple groups at the same time and kill them all at once.

neither the protection build or the devotion build will be doing much healing or buffing before you reach the level that you choose your paragon path. and honestly, i would not worry too much as it's only going to take you 1-7 days to reach 70, depending on how much you can play the game. at 70 it's like an entirely different game.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin
  • aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    If you're talking purely solo, then you can afford to gear yourself a little differently than you would if you were aiming to tank Orcus, for example.

For solo, maximizing defense isn't required. Binding oath and/or Templar's is easily enough to keep you alive. Instead, work on your dps stats - power, crit, arpen. The latter is especially important. I see plenty of OPs running around with <1000 arpen, so it's no wonder you hit like a wet noodle.

Also consider a good dps companion with good bonding stones; dps artifacts; utilize your hard-hitting powers such as Relentless Avenger, Divine Judgment, etc.

Just remember to put on proper tanking gear if you choose to group up.
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    This is quite a few days old but your core skills when leveling should be Templar's Wrath and Sacred Weapon, the third is upto you, personally i finally settled on Divine Touch, and this is the setup i use in most skirmishes ATM too, whilst there are some better alternatives to sacred weapon, i generally find them a bit limited in some ways at my current gear level. I'm sure as my gear level rises and the content i run changes sacred weapon will fall off and it will indeed be time to switch it out for better alternatives, (binding Oath being the main one, but TotDG isn't packed with enough enemies that do enough damage so a bit of a waste).

At wills. Valourous strike would never leave the right click, and based on some dummy parsing, Shielding strike all the way up once you get it, (there's absolutely no reason to use anything else, it's got the best DPS and tanking utility). Oath Strike before that once you get it, and your start at will till you get Oath Strike.

p.s. keep aura of courage slotted at all times, even in leveling gear it's usually at least a 20% boost to your damage output at at some points can be even more. Stack +hp items first and foremost for the same reason.

Your DPS will still suck ofc at endgame, (17k best i saw on illithilich), compared to everyone else, (40k+ is common and i've seen a couple fo 80-90k'rs too), but you laugh at thing that hurt them.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

https://github.com/nilsbrummond/Neverwinter-ACT-Plugin
  • manyvengeancemanyvengeance Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    For leveling try to get the Mulhorand weapons, maybe the cloak too, get a weapon enchantment (a Terror prolly, they are pretty cheap atm), either the Guild boon or a mount bonus for ArmPen and then go full Power, just buy some Rank 7 Radiants, that'll be a good start, get the Lantern as your first artifact, if you have the other classes sigils, you can pick the Sigil of the Devoted, the Great Weapon or the Hunter, those will give you Power and other useful stats, get them to Epic asap (you will need like 12 rank 8 enchantments).

For at-wills go for Radiant Strike and Shield Strike, encounters pick Burning light, Smite and Templar's Wrath, dailies Divine Judgement all the way and Lay on Hands in case you need healing, and just run with Aura of Vengeance and Wisdom, Courage won't do much as you level up and Solitude is too little too late. And go Justice in the Paragon Tree, is the one that offers the most damage.
    edited August 2016
    Courage won't do much as you level up and Solitude is too little too late. And go Justice in the Paragon Tree, is the one that offers the most damage.

Som a consistent third or more of your at wills parsing at 20% of your total DPS isn't much? hahahaha. Pull the other one, it has bells on it. Also burning light is worthless leveling outside of the ultra low level time frame where you don't have templar's wrath.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

• damoc#3687 damoc Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    Frankly, I have more fun with the Devotion parangon using vow of enmity, burning light and smite/relentless avenger with oath strike/radiant strike with courage and wisdom as auras.

Relentless Avenger may seem counter intuitive since it sends surrounding foes flying but it's another gap closer with first as a Devotion pal you don't have the confortable blanket of Templar wrath temp HP and second it fills your AP meter quite nicely.
    unleashing divine Jugement on a avowed ennemy with Judge on is the best way I've found to deal damage, limited as it is.

At least it isn't as boring as the OP with templar wrath. I may exagerate but frankly the OP templar wrath 'just change the color of your lifebar to yellow' and then you wait that your ennemies life drop at a snail pace. Ugh. No thank you
  • flowcytoflowcyto Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    My OP's soloing setup atm:

AoE grinding: Pillar of Power, Blinding Light, Templar's Wrath.
    Single-target: Pillar of Power, Vow of Enmity, Smite.
    Passives: Aura of Wisdom + Aura of Courage.
    Dailies: Divine Judgement + w/e
    At-wills: Radiant Strike + any of the single-target ones (Shielding is what I use, though their dps isn't much diff if you consider that Oath_Valorous can get dmg boosts via artifact bonuses).

Spec for Prot + Justice, and (once you get Justice's capstone) in-between pulls use Divine Call/Judge to reduce ur cds so ur Pillar is up every mob (or every other mob). Always try to have Judge's brief buff (35% more dmg) up before you use Divine Judgement, make sure you have ur buffs up and debuffs up on the target you hit w/ it, and try to clump up AoE packs before using it as well.

Gear for lots of arpen (until around 50-60% by max lvl) and some crit_power otherwise. Defensive stuff can be mostly centered around +maxHP boosts since ur using Aura of Courage. I still get some lifesteal here and there, even if i usually don't need it w/ healing boons and/or TW slotted.

Obv, don't try to 'dps' in formal groups, (unless its w/ friends/guildies that don't care :p )

Hope that helped some.
    While leveling Courage isn't that much, 1% of your 10k HP isn't 20% of your total dmg, that makes no sense, and you think Sacred Weapon is the way to go? Seriously...?
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    I think this is just a newer player, I dont think he wanted per se discussions on said DPS solo rotations to be viable solo player, more of how do I make my paladin go faster so I can get where I want to go.

Sadly a baby paladin is slow.. by far the slowest class in the game to gear up and get going, but good news.. you dont have to go very far to do the majority of group content (I ve tanked orcus on my paladin post bubble nerf at 2.4k, pre bubble nerf lol.. you couldve done it sub 2k, if they let you enter) though you may want to be a little higher then that now. Regardless t1/t2 can easily be done in that level range with a paladin as a TANK. Its survivabilty is a combination of knowing a few mechanic powers such as Binding oath, templars wrath and Bane. When to use them, how they expire ect.

Tanks heal slightly , they tweaked prism in the justice tree awhile back, before that, you could heal your team pretty well, but you could also keep your bubble up for far longer, so some stuff changed with it. If you want to be a healer, you will most likely want to go devotion route, it heals more then another thing in game, however, right now there isnt much that requires the amount it heals (nothing until fangbangers comes out actually)

Most paladins spec a combination of Justice feats , its just the most efficient route to go, their regular cooldowns are so ridiculously long that without the feat Echoes of Light (t4 in justice) you just make everything so much worse, its pretty much mandatory to play the class. If they ever do a full scale rework, my suggestion would be to ditch this feat.. and actually make the paladin playable in other lines by reducing cooldowns across the board.

If you want more specific class information, you should really go to the paladin class forum and look up already existing builds , then ask questions.

If your really looking to get a class that is faster then the paladin to level and gear up (paladin really peaks off into the 30-40s, by level 61+ its far slower then all the other classes in same I level ranges.) the paladins that I see today that do "decent" dps (though lower then any of the other dps specced classes, including GF (by far) and DC(by a pretty hefty margin) are built either high crit (the "cheaper " route) with high ranking bonding's or "Power build" with owlbear (5 million dollars for epic on gateway) both are expensive in thier own ways.

So it comes back to , what do you really want out of this game? Paladin is a support role, its slower then other classes and especially if you cant afford to get high ranked bondings (greater or perfect +) or the owlbear build.. your just going to be FAR slower then other classes doing solo work to gear and level, its just the way it is.

So you need to answer that to yourself, in one sense its a little slower then some other classes, however, making it viable for group content, actually requires less then DPS , DPS is actually expensive to compete in and do well and do enough to make yourself viable.
    edited August 2016
    While leveling Courage isn't that much, 1% of your 10k HP isn't 20% of your total dmg, that makes no sense, and you think Sacred Weapon is the way to go? Seriously...?

Sadly deleted my older logs it seems, but here's a section from when i was leveling through hotenow, typicaly leveling quest provided gear ofc.

http://imgur.com/K6ERlPw

As you can see it's actually hitting for around half what shielding strike on level does. I think you've forgotten just how much weapon damage scales at 60+. It outscales HP quite badly. Pre-60 your hit points tend to run rather high.

p.s. Sacred weapon hits as hard as your beloved smite, has 3 hits worth of charges base and gets an unlisted extra charge per rank. It's literally the best single target damage skill we have period. And pre-60 valorous strike twice plus templars wrath leaves no more than one mob in any pull alive normally. Bosses aside obviously. Bosses tend to have more of the "tough" type of solo enemies.

edited August 2016
    Ok got curious and went and hit the dummy with my 80 paladin, stripper of gear and gave her a ceremonial weapon, so 53k base health, she was still doing more damage per strike than she should have been by a fair margin. And when i switched her back to full gear she was going over by even more. Looks like somthing weird is going on with aura of courage. Need to investigate further i think.

Doing some math on the two setups, it all works out if you assume A) the damage is further buffed by your power e.t.c. and B) the damage increase per rank is 20%, not the 10% listed the numbers track. Still requires a fair amount of health out of me when doing hotenhow, but i was at lie 30k AFAIR in neverdeath so not hard.
    Post edited by carl103 on

edited August 2016
    The thing with Courage is that it scales based on your armor and stuff, while Vengeance will be scaling with your Mulhorands, making it easier to skip zones, I leveled up to 60 with the first slotted blue gear I got (basically), and didn't took the auto leveling armors that level 60 has now, could be that Courage is better if you're actually enjoying the leveling and not trying to rush it.
    Post edited by manyvengeance on
    Ahh yeah, if you don't gear up with the gear you get leveling then yeah you'll be waaay behind with courage.

• rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    Solo PVE, I think Pally's actually wipe out mobs fairly fast compared to other toons...Yes other toons do more damage to other mobs individually, but with a 2.1 Prot Pally, I can simply walk to the end of a dungeon, having pulled all the mobs and kill them as I fight the boss using them to feed my Templar's Wrath.

So does it take me longer to kill a boss than other toons? Yeah, but I don't have to fight any mobs until I hit the boss. Binding Oath means I don't take damage even though I am surrounded by 50-60 mobs; even if I do take damage, I have so many HP from Templar's Wrath that my HP bar is perpetually in the Yellow. Bane means that I am doing +30% damage to the boss so they don't last too long. Aura of courage +radiant strike means that all those mobs I aggroed are taking damage continually.

So yeah, if you are fighting groups of 3-5 baddies at a time, OP is really slow, but if you are fighting 50-60 at a time, it is just as fast as any other class. (As far as I can tell, Aura of Courage, Radiant Strike, and Templar's Wrath don't have mob limits, though I may be mistaken.)
  • thuzkawthuzkaw Member Posts: 18 Arc User

I have searched and searched, found so many builds and wonderful advice. Yet my search isnt complete. Simply put..I am seeking some build advice for leveling my paladin to 70..I enjoy doing the Dungeons and also Love the story content. I wanna dps and complete the solo content as best I can. I would also like to join the dungeons as I level. But I wanna contribute to the group as a whole.. either as a tank or healer. I am leaning to Tank, but can they heal, I guess I want something that survives...does decent dps.. and can self heal and maybe help the party as well. is there such a thing?

PS4 player here I too started out looking for a solo build and couldn't find one so I made my own.

I started out with the idea of a crit / Heal build. With the right mounts and companions 9 times out of ten I always out heal every other group member by a couple of million and on average I'm second on the list dps wise.

Highest crit thus far is 660,000 damage.

Race Dragonborn or any that gets good crit benefits.

At lvl 30 I went Oath of Devotion

Aim for

At wills - Oath Strike, Cure wounds
    Encounters- Divine touch, Templars Wrath, Vow of Enmity
    Auras - Aura of courage, Aura of Divinity
    Dailys - Divine Judgement, Healing font

Feats

Weapon mastery 3/3
    Toughness 3/3
    Wrathful strikes 3/3
    Exemplars haste 3/3
    Divine attunment 3/3
    Force of will 3/3
    Steadfast 2/5

Bulwark

Unflinching resolve 5/5
    Holy resurgence 5/5
    Sanctity 5/5

Light

Seraphim 5/5
    Gifts of light 5/5
    Light touched 5/5
    Restorative haste 5/5
    Holy bonds 5/5
    Redemption 1/1

I'm using dusk armor and burning mace / shield GS at 2500.

I've soloed every quest (Still doing some campaigns) aside from group dungeons not that its hard do them anyway. Only once have I thought I needed help, was a quest in Well of dragons freeing slaves or something, the last boss kept spawning mobs. After dieing a few times I changed my set up and killed him.

While the above build might work in higher level dungeons, I as yet haven't been to many to say its ok. However by that stage you'll know what and where to change the build.

Remember this is how MY solo build is set up and after a month or so playing I still have a lot to learn.

• emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    Those crit numbers were common when the pally came out :smile: Who else wants the old Divine Judgement to make a comeback lol?
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • thuzkawthuzkaw Member Posts: 18 Arc User

thuzkaw said:

Highest crit thus far is 660,000 damage.

Yeeeeeaaahhh
    I don't like to say this but unless you have a picture of that nobody is going to believe you.
    Especially since Oath of devotion has about 15k less power than Oath of protection.
    Haha like I said i'm still learning. My apologizes too all for I mistook the floating damage numbers on screen, as the damage you do directly, however it appears to be the total amount before you're interupted so it resets.

Therefore while I did do 660k crit damage then i must of critted on average 10k per crit and critted 66 times in a row.

I went to the test dummy today and could only get upto 300k crit total.

So regardless of the direct damage l do do,then with the above basic build one can solo well and bring heals to the group.

Last night for the first time I ran a Valindra's tower while we didn't complete it I was main healer doing 33 million in heals being first on the list and 3rd on the list for dps doing 15 million damage. Room for improvement for sure however it was all done with the above build.