test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Here is a solution for the spammers

As you know the spammers post there message twice. Once in zone chat and the same message in trade chat then stop. They will then post the same message the same way but under new char name and @name.

So after reporting them which blocks them as well of course. You will just end up having to report them again like 5-10 sec later. If people just focus on reporting the spammers the players won't have much time for playing.

My solution for the spamming is by adding a keyword filter that the user control on there end. Let's say someone adds the word 'cheap' as a keyword. If that keyword is said any where in the message the whole message wont be seen.

Would be very hard for the spammers to bypass that. If they got no clue what keywords people are filtering out.

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    It's a nice idea in theory, however part of the issue with that is the spammers would then start using special characters to get their point across. In case you haven't noticed, they already use a bunch of special characters, especially in their mailings. They are very adaptive.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    Was suggested along time ago. I think 3 times maybe.
    It's just something have to get use to.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • heimdali#8577 heimdali Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    kreatyve said:

It's a nice idea in theory, however part of the issue with that is the spammers would then start using special characters to get their point across. In case you haven't noticed, they already use a bunch of special characters, especially in their mailings. They are very adaptive.

When I was playing BDO the spamming was really bad. Until they added the keyword filter in game that the user control. When I blocked a few keywords like 'www' and any other way you can make it look that way as well like using the letter 'V'. I also blocked keywords like 'com' and 'c0m' which they used alot. Plus a few others as well.

If they did add a keyword filter in game as long they allow special characters as well. We can block any keyword even if they have special characters.

Even if it blocks say only 50% of the spam. Least it would make it little more easy to see what people is saying in chat.

Post edited by heimdali#8577 on
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    kreatyve said:

The advantage of a key word filter is it is client side. The spammers wont know they are being blocked, because their message it still being broadcast, its only blocked at the client. They still see it, and would have any idea who or how many people might be blocking it.

Mod removed some moderation discussion.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • heimdali#8577 heimdali Member Posts: 8 Arc User

kreatyve said:

The advantage of a key word filter is it is client side. The spammers wont know they are being blocked, because their message it still being broadcast, its only blocked at the client. They still see it, and would have any idea who or how many people might be blocking it. It works very similarly to how people here on the forums get muted, yet still try to post topics unaware that no one can see it. Considering how, effective, it seems to be. I'm surprised you arn't more supportive of this idea.
    Part of the problem is it's effectiveness. You think they don't read patch notes? The moment they see this coming they will change back to friend invites and PMs just when you're killing a frost giant, dragon or whever other boss. Remember the game allows you (and the bots) to freely read any instance. If you're in a dungeon, they'll find you. And they will target you because you're active and can therefor see their advertisement. Is that what you want? Messing around with semi-effective but annoying hide and unhide settings every time you wish to do something in a group?
    Until they shut down the door on such easy ways to find and spam people, and allow us to be as invisible as we want outside friends/guilds, I say let them spam in chat and get muted. It's the lesser of two evils.
    The good thing about it is. It would not matter if they say it in chat or in whisper form. If the keyword you are filtering is said you just wont see it. The only way they could get around it would be sending ingame mail. Look on the bright side least the chat box will be cleaner.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User

kreatyve said:

The advantage of a key word filter is it is client side. The spammers wont know they are being blocked, because their message it still being broadcast, its only blocked at the client. They still see it, and would have any idea who or how many people might be blocking it. It works very similarly to how people here on the forums get muted, yet still try to post topics unaware that no one can see it. Considering how, effective, it seems to be. I'm surprised you arn't more supportive of this idea.
    Part of the problem is it's effectiveness. You think they don't read patch notes? The moment they see this coming they will change back to friend invites and PMs just when you're killing a frost giant, dragon or whever other boss. Remember the game allows you (and the bots) to freely read any instance. If you're in a dungeon, they'll find you. And they will target you because you're active and can therefor see their advertisement. Is that what you want? Messing around with semi-effective but annoying hide and unhide settings every time you wish to do something in a group?
    Until they shut down the door on such easy ways to find and spam people, and allow us to be as invisible as we want outside friends/guilds, I say let them spam in chat and get muted. It's the lesser of two evils.
    I dont see why they cant do both. A client side filter and an ability to be invisible would be an effective combination.
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User

I would agree. But they won't do it. The way the game is built, you'll always be forced to go visible if you want to team up with someone in another map or map instance. There's nothing they can do about that, short of rebuilding the chat server for 3 games. I've been petitioning for the removal of the search window since they started spamming friend invites from the starting zone back in mod2. Or, failing that, at least give us the option to block friend invites. Either of those features would have been a great help in those days. But alas. For some reason Cryptic doesn't want their clients to have that much privacy. Instead they raised the required level to send invites to 15...

Now it's a bit too late for just a chat filters. Everyone who has visted PE over the last few months is on their mailing list. They just log every name entering their PE instance. Which is just about everyone in the game, if only to collect the Portal weekly quest or to pick up a promotion reward. Meaning they can mail and spam you with invites whenever it suits them. They don't need the search window anymore to find people to spam. It's just to see if you're online or not. I even got a mail a few times saying that I could "unsubscribe" by participating in their live chat sessions, which I'd only do if I were a madman. They've got nerve, I'll give them that.

Here goes some bit of info might find surprising.

A really long time ago when gold spam was really bad
    someone propose a suggestion about having options to
    disable invites like team, guild. options to disable whispers
    option to restrict mails and all that jazz.

And you know what happen. They added it to star trek online
    and not neverwinter where it was really needed. When i found that
    out it floored me in disappointment.

But this is going off topic so i will leave it at that.
    ((message might get redacted)).
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I made a bind to chat in multiple chat zone's at the same time... but I'm not a spammer.

It's to recruit for guild without wasting time typing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!