test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lanolin drop rates need to be increased or crafting requirements need to be decreased.

feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
After probably over 50 major HEs and a many minors, I have 5 lanolin. Many other players are complaining of similar abysmal drop rates. Since we need 25 lanolin to restore each of 4 pieces of a set of armor, it is obvious that it will take an exhausting and unrealistic amount of time spent in HEs to obtain it.

Increase the drop rates, lower the crafting requirements, or say goodbye to frustrated players who can't be bothered with a campaign that is either unfinishable or hugely expensive, except of course for those able to buy the frostborn set with trade bars.

Neglect of players who want to experience content without paying for each piece is never a good idea.

Comments

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Screw the lanolin, increase the boots drop rate, I have enough lanolin to grease a bison.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

**** the lanolin, increase the boots drop rate, I have enough lanolin to grease a bison.

Well then find me in game and give me some.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sure, you gimme some boots, it's alllll yours. It's in the AH for 500k.
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    Lanolin I have, armor I need.
  • Options
    mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    I would rather run my fingers on a chalkboard than do more HEs in Mod 10.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    The boots drop often. If you have that much lanolin, you would have almost been guaranteed a boot drop.

Lanolin is far more rare. It will probably drop a lot in cold run in FBI itself.
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

The boots drop often. If you have that much lanolin, you would have almost been guaranteed a boot drop.

Lanolin is far more rare. It will probably drop a lot in cold run in FBI itself.

Oh, such youthful optimism...
  • Options
    One can hope....
  • Options
    sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    Lanolin seems to drop more frequently in Lonelywood, Boots so far we've only seen drop in Bryn Shandar.
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    I think we are looking at the usual NWO RNG variation in this. My results have been quite mixed. My HR did a single 90 minute Zerg run in Bryn Shander which netted him 9 Lanolin and 1 pair of boots. The boots appeared in the final HE at which point I stopped playing. Later, I took my CW to Bryn Shander. In his 105 minutes of zerging, he only came away with 2 Lanolin and no boots. Yesterday, I took him back for three more sessions as I had some spare time and some frustrations in RL to work out >:) The first two sessions of around 90 minutes each snagged another 6 Lanolins between them and still no boots. My final session in the evening lasted 120 minutes, but it seemed like an awful lot longer. In the last but one HE, I finally got a pair of boots and another Lanolin. I did a quick check and found that I had 15 Lanolin, so needed one more to have enough to restore one of the pairs of boots I had between my two characters. So I decided to run one last HE before calling it a night (er..morning actually). My reward ? Another set of the same boots and another piece of Lanolin. So nothing for days...then two turn up at once :)

One thing about the boots. I got two unrestored pairs of the same time of boots for my CW. I have restored one set with the supplies I collected. However, I can do nothing useful with the other set. There is no point in restoring them, that would just be a waste of hard earned Lanolin and Resin, but it is also not possible to salvage them for rAD or donate them to my Guild Mimic. My only options are to discard them for nothing at all or sell them to a vendor for less than 2 Gold Coins. It would be nice if these had salvage or donation value given the effort required to obtain them.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User

Lanolin I have, armor I need.

Ditto. Got a crapton of this stupid lanolin, but not a single boots drop, not evne the bad ones...
  • Options
    sm0ld3rsm0ld3r Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    As others have pointed out, it's time they build in a safety net for their RNG system. All they need to do is after each failed attempt at receiving a reward, increase the chance by 1% till it is obtained. It would still require a lot of attempts, but at least it puts a ceiling on the frustration.

Features like this have been added to other games. The philosophy as pointed out in those other games is why should someone's luck be a fundamental basis of that persons enjoyment of the game? Is it really ok for someone to run CN 10 times and walk away with 2 shards, while someone else runs it 100 times and gets nothing? You end up with 1 player that is happy and 1 that thinks the game sucks and is ready to quit. They just need to put a ceiling on the frustration level or perhaps make rewards "earned" as opposed to luck based.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    @sm0ld3r I like that idea for random chance items that the developers are intending for the players to need at some boot, like these boots or the crafting supplies. Under those circumstances, I think having a system that slowly bumps up the %chance of success after successive failures is a good thing.

As a developer I'd say to myself "Ok, we set a 5% drop rate, so the average person can expect to get it after about 20 runs, but we set a maximum failure rate so that it's guaranteed to occur by 50 runs". So "getting lucky" still feels good, if your item happens to drop after a few runs, but you pull people out of the pit of antagonizing failure, feeling like they'll never seen the item they need drop.

And I'm not talking about items people WANT but the ones Developers expect players will need, like these Relic boots.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    I have had 6 boot drops and only 4 lanolin in over 100 HEs. I need lanolin, not boots.
  • Options

I have had 6 boot drops and only 4 lanolin in over 100 HEs. I need lanolin, not boots.

Over 30 lanolin, no boot drops. F*** RNG. Seriously. Why are items we need to play the new content gated behind such a HAMSTER-inducing mechanic?
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    I'm at 20 Lanolin, 1 Animal Fat and 1 pair of boots.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User

Wait...you got Animal Fat ? First I've heard that it even drops in HEs. Maybe they are almost worth Zerging afterall >:)

• Options
    3 more hours of HE farming, still no boot blueprint. How long is this supposed to take, really? I've lost count on the number of HEs I've done so far. I have so much crafting resources that I'm way above the requirements to make them. I mean, seriously, cryptic? What kind work ethic does one have (or lack of) to let such statistical anomalies go uncorrected, since the drop rates are "reasonable"? How would a cryptic dev would feel as a statistical anomaly that only get answers such as "this is random", ie, we don't care?
  • Options
    qexotic said:

Wait...you got Animal Fat ? First I've heard that it even drops in HEs. Maybe they are almost worth Zerging afterall >:)

Yeah. I grilled up some wolf steaks using it, and they were magnificent.

Wait. What? You're not saying that I actually need that glob of animal fat I pulled out of a pocket of a dead troll.

Woah. Which also makes me realize I ate wolf steaks cooked from the fat of "something" I found in the pocket of a troll.

Excuse.

I have some life decisions I need to deeply re-evaluate...

i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    sm0ld3rsm0ld3r Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    qexotic said:

They only drop in Lonelywoods.

• Options
    eion311eion311 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    I've been farming the HE's for about 60+ mins a day since release. I'm at 15 lanolin, 2 animal fat, 0 boots.
  • Options
    You guys are farming HEs in Bryn right? I dont believe they drop in lonelywood.

Ive got 2 of them in less than an hour of farming. Could be rng...could be people not farming the right HEs. The 3 large HEs seem to work but they could have nerfed the drop rate at any time.
  • Options

Ive got 2 of them in less than an hour of farming. Could be rng...could be people not farming the right HEs. The 3 large HEs seem to work but they could have nerfed the drop rate at any time.

I'm farming in Bryn Shander. Doing epic HEs. Getting "great success" all the time. Still no boots so far, and I'm way over 100 HEs. RNG isn't an explanation. It's just extremely poorly done game design. Good game design would be having the drop rate increase indefinitely until there's a boots drop. Good games do that...
  • Options
    eion311eion311 Member Posts: 338 Arc User

I have only done Lonelywood today which is where I got the fat from. The rest of the time has been in Bryn :(
  • Options
    Finally had the boots I wanted drop in BS, the rampaging yeti/rehmora HE on a normal result, and had 25 lanolin ready thank God.

I was opening reward boxes like lockboxes, storing up about 40 or so, then opening them slow, till something good drops, then rapidfire. With patchy rng, doing this magnifies any good luck you have.
  • Options
    lonewolfmk1lonewolfmk1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 137 Arc User
    Its mod 3 all over again *sigh*

But after around 4 hours of farming i have 16 lanolin anf one pair of boots for 2 chars. HAMSTER HEs, i am going to buy the lanolin i still need. I expect the prices to drop anyway in the next couple of days...
  • Options
    sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User

Its mod 3 all over again *sigh*

But after around 4 hours of farming i have 16 lanolin anf one pair of boots for 2 chars. **** HEs, i am going to buy the lanolin i still need. I expect the prices to drop anyway in the next couple of days...

Prices will rise from now onwards, as FBI unlocks next weekend for those that haven't missed a day - people will panic and buy Lanolin and prices will go up.