test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Astral Fury vs Fire of the Gods

devlin#3775 devlin Member Posts: 142 Arc User
Hi all,

I'm a relative newcomer (PS4). Lvl 70 now and around 2600 ilvl.

Anyway, I've been toying between a few builds to "stick" with. Based on pretty much all current guides, it looks like righteous is the way to go. But I always have the same question. The question being:

The 2 main purposes of Fire of the Gods (FotG) feat seem to be

a) to proc Bear Your Sins feat
b) for extra dps

So assuming "a" is accomplished whether you put anywhere between 1 and 5 points into FotG, would "b" be better accomplished by putting 1 point into FotG and 4 into Astral Fury (assuming you only have 5 points to play with at this point)?

Since most guides either have both at 5/5 or FotG at 5 and Astral Fury at 0, I suppose my question is already answered, but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure?

Longer post than anticipated for such a simple question. Sorry! But thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    mrtehpuppymrtehpuppy Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    To answer your question simply, no.

Fully committing 5 points to FotG is a larger DPS boost than the +8% you'd be getting out of having 4 in Astral Fury. Ideally, if DPS is what you seek, you'll want both. But when comparing the two, FotG is worth more than AF point for point.
    Post edited by mrtehpuppy on
    Member of Look Good Play Good
    Pup - Level 70 4.2k Buff/Debuff AC DC
    XBL GT: TehPuppy
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    ^^

Also there is no reason not to have 5 points in Astral Fury if your looking to reach the Righteous capstone. Power of the Sun is garbage for PVE, Righteous Suffering under performs compared to Astral Fury (its really more of a clutch PVP dps skill in my opinion), That leaves you with 10 points to put into Astral Fury and Furious Intervention.

• Options
    devlin#3775 devlin Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for the responses. I was actually originally using your DO build putz. But I feel I (and most people I play with on PS4) are still too low that I cant really get the full benefit from it. Basically, many peeps (including myself) are still needing some more dedicated healing.

Anyway, I ultimately respeced last night to a bastardized version of your build where I remain mainly righteous but up my healing capabilities a tad. Essentially, I dropped Righteous Suffering, Living Fire, and Piercing Light and put those 15 points into some healing feats. I definitely wanted to keep FotG (minimum 1 point). So I had 4 points left over for either FotG or Astral Fury.

So it's basically 80% more weapon damage when I crit (I currently have 35ish% crit chance) vs a flat 8% damage increase. I slugged the 4 points into astral fury as I figured it probably didnt matter too much either way with this build as it's just a stop gap to me.

I plan on going back to your build once I (and my guild mates) are a little more geared where I'll go back to having both AF and FotG fully slotted, but my ilvl/stats are what they are for now.

But having said that, I see like in Jarek's build who I believe has around 30-40% crit chance but lots of power he has FotG maxed. DPS isnt his main priority, and he doesnt have the points to max both, so would 1/5 FotG and 4/5 AF yield better DPS in his circumstance? I'm sure Jarek knows more than I, so again, perhaps it's already answered. But to me, I would guess that an 8% damage increase is better than a 30ish% chance of 80% weapon damage? But then again, I dont even fully understand what "weapon" damage means so was hoping for smarter people than I to respond.

Anyways - man I'm long winded - thanks again for the responses.
  • Options
    mrtehpuppymrtehpuppy Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Weapon damage USUALLY means just that, the damage numbers displayed by your weapon (usually in the 1,000 to 1,700 range at level 70). So to kind of explain in terms of FotG, it would mean that when you critically hit something, you place a DoT on that something that ticks for 1,000-1,700 (depending on how upgraded your artifact weapon is this varies) once every second for 15 seconds. HOWEVER, FotG is unique in that it is one of the few abilities in the game that allows the damage determined by "weapon damage" to be buffed up by other abilities. So while FotG is supposed to tick for 1,000 damage if you were under the effects of no buffs, it is also not uncommon to instead see FotG ticks that are actually hitting for between 8,000 and 15,000 damage per tick. This additional damage will scale immensely based on how much you've invested into the feat. To put it to numbers, what would have been an 8k-15k DoT tick with 5 points invested into FotG, will instead become a 1k-3k tick with one point invested.

Now I'm not trying to say this to make you blow another respec. I'm just wanting to explain why FotG is better point for point than AF in terms of DPS output.
    Member of Look Good Play Good
    Pup - Level 70 4.2k Buff/Debuff AC DC
    XBL GT: TehPuppy
  • Options
    I understand your point, earlier in ambers evolution I had 5 points in Lasting Wishes to help with my healing, but has my power, crit, & crit severity grew. For me when I use a healing spell its very potent. The lack of healing comes in between the heals I provide since righteous doesn't have passive heals.
  • Options
    crysta11inecrysta11ine Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Interesting discussion. With trash bosses dieing quickly (under 15 seconds) with a high dps how do you justify 5/5 fire of the gods over 4/5 Astral fury? The extra 8% doesn't parse out higher? What mobs live long enough for FoG to run the full length? I get that in theory FoG could be higher damage but in practice I find it hard to believe!

Xbox player here so it is hard for us to test!
  • Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User

Interesting discussion. With trash bosses dieing quickly (under 15 seconds) with a high dps how do you justify 5/5 fire of the gods over 4/5 Astral fury? The extra 8% doesn't parse out higher? What mobs live long enough for FoG to run the full length? I get that in theory FoG could be higher damage but in practice I find it hard to believe!

Funny, we told u the truth FotG is much better and will be large part of our dps and yet you dont believe us. If you dont believe then just go your way, everyone can have their own playstyle, if ours dont fit yours, then it is good to follow your own build. IMHO, furious intervention should be abandoned for astral fury, not sure why you go for 10% more AP and then worry about your dps problem.
  • Options

He's on PS4, they aren't killing bosses in under 15 seconds.
  • Options
    bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    Since Power of the Sun/Ancient Warding are quite useless in most cases, that only leaves you with 3 choices.
    And since Astral Fury > Righteous Suffering so you're definitely choosing AF 5/5.
    Now you just need to choose between Righteous Suffering and Furious Intervention.
    If you don't care about personal DPS then go for AP gain.

For FotG, go for 1/5 if you plan to spend points in other trees, for example to get 4/5 Gift of Haste or 4/5 Gift of the Gods.
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    I love Ancient warding :p
    But I'm not dps focused.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    Sorry, based on jazzfong and putz's replies maybe I needed to clarify... I am AC with a snail so I run as much AP gain as possible. It is possible to keep AA up ~100% of the time this way. So I wouldn't drop Furious Intervention for Astral fury. I like to increase my own contribution to damage as much as possible despite the fact that we will never touch a real dpser in damage.

So specifically I am wondering if the difference between 4/5 astral fury and 1/5 fire of the gods has been parsed versus 5/5 fire of the gods. If I was DO or did not have a snail I would consider building my feats slightly different and would probably end up with 5/5 astral fury and 5/5 fire of the gods!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    You dont need that 10% AP gain if you are using chains. I asked one of the DC pugging with me to use chains, and his AA spamming was nearly doubled its speed. FotG is the best and main feature you are going to have as a righteous DC. If you just want a dot to trigger bear of sins, go PF/dread/flaming enchant + 5/5 Astral Fury and 5/5 FotG, that will give u the same output while still maintaining your dps.
  • Options
    lerapiso818lerapiso818 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 92 Arc User
    MY FotG do 15% of my total damage on average.
  • Options
    Jazz I already use chains. It is possible I have enough AP gain to drop the 10% buff but i doubt it.

lerapiso what feats are you using? That information is what I am looking for. If the 15% was parsed using 0/5 AF the difference is ~5% between 4/5 AF 1/5 FotG and 5/5 FotG right?

Does anyone else have a split of FotG damage (and the context of the damage)?
  • Options
    5/5 FotG is 25% average for me in a couple of CN runs, or 27% in ndemo. Quite a big portion of ur personal dps, so dont drop it for others. The percentage is much more bigger on me cuz i focused on debuffing more than dpsing.