test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lag, lag, lag

thegreatmikeythegreatmikey Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
This thread is about lag. Surprise!

Okay, over the last few days I have had horrific lag. Any time a cool animation effect is supposed to happen, a fight about to start or seemingly at random when in PE or another heavily populated location. I have had it last over 20 seconds at a time(yes, I actually timed it).

A) What is causing this?
B) What can I do about it?
C) How do I let Cryptic people know that I am displeased and want it to stop immediately and forever?

I ask that tech speak be kept to a minimum because I don't understand it. B)

Comments

• Options
    I am not a technical person. Let me get that right out of the way.

That said, I have noticed a spike in really bad lag that kicks in whenever a fight starts or if an area has lots of players in it or if cool graphic effects are happening. I have asked around and heard from people on all ends of the spectrum of computer hardware, high end, low end and everything in between. Many agree with me. Not all, but enough to make me think it is a real concern.

I really want this issue to go away forever, never to return ever, ever, ever (even in a gogolzillion years)! Is it having old servers that are in serious need of replacement with modern technology? Is it (here's where my complete lack of tech saavy shines through) whatever tech the game information travels on? Is it really bad weather ruining satellite connectivity? Is it having incredibly ancient servers that predate Babylon and should be put in a museum while new servers that can actually handle the game are put in place of them?

Most importantly, is this ever going to be truly reasonably resolved or am I doomed to a laggy game forever?

Is it the servers? :p
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    How fast is your internet supposed to be? I haven't experienced many issues with lag.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    Well, lag can be caused by many things - slow internet, hardware problems, etc., so it may not be a Cryptic problem at all...

I take it you only notice this when 'action' is happening - if you just move normally or open Inventory or character stats, you are not getting this?

In the chat window, type in "/netgraph 1" (without quotes) and hit enter - the numbers will fluctuate, but does ping go above 400 (consistently - occassional spikes are OK) when you have this problem? Type in /netgraph 0 to get rid of it when done.

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
  • Options
    Heh. I posted that second posting in Player Feedback to let the guys know of the problem and they moved it here!

It also encompasses trying to load into new areas, just being in Protector's Enclave or in the CTA event.

I do have an old computer (waiting for my new PC to be built), but as mentioned this is happenning on all levels of computer.
    The Netgraph thingee is fine.
  • Options
    krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Right - older computer probably means you need to drop the quality of your visuals - they have been adding things in, and your older system is probably not coping with that - time for the new one, eh! :)

Adjust your settings in the game - go to Options -> Graphics (where you select your toon). I would start by using the sliders and setting Render Quality (Video Card) to low or medium, and Graphic Quality (CPU) to medium. Keep adjusting down until you get a reasonable balance between display and action...

If you are feeling 'techy', or want better control, visit the following guide (many of the same settings will apply to AMD GPU's):
    geforce.com/whats-new/guides/neverwinter-graphics-and-performance-guide/print#

They are trying to make the game more visually appealing for those that get new equipment, and your system may not have auto-adjusted as the new changes have come in.

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band