test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Excel] Power & Crit Optimization

bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
edited August 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
I've created a spreadsheet that calculates the optimal allocation of points for Power & Crit for best DPS/HPS and with other useful tools (see below)

[Download Link] Power & Crit Optimization and more (Excel)

The spreadsheet includes calculations of the following:
1. Tells you what's the optimal allocation of stat points for Power & Crit

2. Radiant/Azure/Brutal Comparison of any rank

3. Calculates how much increased crit severity increases DPS

Post edited by bvira on

Comments

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
  • fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    Doesn't take any secondary effects into account, Lostmouth set damage, bleeding damage, etc.

I would take this with a grain of salt.
  • bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User

Doesn't take any secondary effects into account, Lostmouth set damage, bleeding damage, etc.

True, and I personally favor crit because it procs stuff for many classes, but in some instances power is favored like if you have owl bear cub so yea it's not perfect but I hope it would give people some general ideas about how to stack power & crit.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    bvira said:

True, and I personally favor crit because it procs stuff for many classes, but in some instances power is favored like if you have owl bear cub so yea it's not perfect but I hope it would give people some general ideas about how to stack power & crit.
    Its worth noting if you building a non owlbear build you can pretty much follow this straight up, since it will end up capping your crit anyhow for BiS builds.
  • twitchdigit1twitchdigit1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    Just tried this out. It is interesting. I'm a bit confused on what you mean by "Total stat points to be add" though. I went by what stats I would get from putting in a rank 12 brutal for example (840, 420 power and 420 crit together). Is that what you meant?

Just tried this out. It is interesting. I'm a bit confused on what you mean by "Total stat points to be add" though. I went by what stats I would get from putting in a rank 12 brutal for example (840, 420 power and 420 crit together). Is that what you meant?

For comparing enchants, I recommend using the second part.

Enter your stat with no enchants at all then add one enchant at a time.

• zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited August 2016

These are extremely complicated to account for, as secondary effects can interact with each other, and each may be random, and DoTs/cooldowns etc. depend on how long the fight actually lasts, etc. That's why most people benchmark a build's performance using dummies or field tests, since that's really the only sane way to get a reasonable estimation of the true performance.
  • onegaki101onegaki101 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 327 Arc User
    The calculation is wrong. If you already have 100% crit chance, it is recommending we still use Azure stone over Brutal. How would Azure improve damage if already 100% crit?

The calculation is wrong. If you already have 100% crit chance, it is recommending we still use Azure stone over Brutal. How would Azure improve damage if already 100% crit?

Will modify the equation later to avoid confusion, but just go for power if crit chance is 100%.
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    @bivra: there's an error somwhere in your math. I threw in my current GWF values and a set of modified values and it says adding more power is best. Except i know when i run those same numbers through my own GWF excel sheet, (linky below), it comes up crit is better. I'm confident in my own sheets sums so i think your solver is getting somthing wrong. I don't really know enough about how it works to figure out what you did wrong though.

Possibly related to the fact that your sheet does not include the base damage bonus from stats which AFAIK is not included in the power bonus.

My sheet and it's usage notes are in the OP of this thread.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1220123/handy-little-excel-sheet/p1?new=1

p.s my actual sums aren't annotated in the thread and only labeled in the sheet itself, if you need help let me know :).
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

https://github.com/nilsbrummond/Neverwinter-ACT-Plugin
    carl103 said:

Possibly related to the fact that your sheet does not include the base damage bonus from stats which AFAIK is not included in the power bonus.

By stats you mean feats? Then yea you're right, that's an oversight on my part. So basically damage bonuses from non-power-related sources (e.g. feats) are indirectly making power less effective. I guess that's one more reason to stack crit then.

One of the solutions I can think of is to use % dmg increase (from power + other sources) in place of power stat. But to accurately account for damage bonuses from all non-power-related sources is very difficult especially when many buffs/debuffs don't have 100% up-time; practically impossible if you want to account for group buffs as well.

All in all, with so many self and group dmg buffs, crit is probably the way to go. Thanks for your comment!
    No i mean the stats you roll at character creation and upgrade every 10 levels.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

carl103 said:

No i mean the stats you roll at character creation and upgrade every 10 levels.

Oh ability score lol. Forgot to include that but I think my previous point remains.
    Fair enough, though do note at least sum buffs do not stack additively with power. For example all of a GWF's main buffs (Destroyer, Destroyer's Purpose, Battle Fury, Hidden Daggers), are multiplicative with power.