test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Things you wish you'd known from start

Hey guys. I just stumbled along this game by chance today. I was really intereste when it was originally released, but it wasn't available for PS4.

I've played a few MMO's. Rift (pc) my favourite, FF14, and most recently ESO on PS4. I've sunk countless hours into ESO, ended up levelling 2 DPS chars as tanks are really not needed in end game as you can steam roll everything really.

What do you guys wish you'd of known from the start that would have made things more enjoyable, an easier ride, helped you out.

Also, if possible could I throw some questions in too:

1. What seperates this from other MMO's? Especially ESO (console mmos)
2. Do you have crafting in this game? I'm assuming so, but is it as long winded as ESO? The amount of time to research can be a month.
3. How is guilds in this game? Do you get guild perks/skills.
4. Is there chat other than voice chat? If so, how's it utilised?
5. I'm going to play as a tank. Are they needed end game?
6. Can you level up just doing dungeons?
7. I remember reading when this game was first released it had no open world etc. Just towns that you explore and do dungeons by teleporting. Has this been changed?

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• shontsushontsu Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    1. Main difference would be that this is a class based game, whereas ESO classes make much less difference. The cash side is much more pay to win in nature too, but still not necessary if you choose to play free.
    2. Yes there's crafting. Its kind of similar to SWTOR where you recruit minions to do the work for you, making the process a time based rather than skill or effort based. I gather most people would "attend" to crafting a couple times per day. It does take a fairly long time to level, you'll probably find you outlevel your crafting fairly quickly (depending on how much you play) and then it'll catch up eventually.
    3. Yes guilds ingame, yes they come with perks, but you need to level your guild stronghold to unlock them. I find guild a bigger deal in this than in ESO where I just treated them as auction houses.
    4. It has keyboard chat similar to PC MMOs, different tabs, different channels, all that stuff. It's just clunky to use on a console. Most people use a keyboard for typing, but even that's clunky. It does make longer sentences easier though.
    5. Yeah, much more typical MMO system of tanks, healers and dps/utility. Also while all classes have what would be considered a primary role, they can have an alternate role too if it turns out that it isn't really needed now.
    6. Err..I guess, but it's very much a quest based game. I haven't really heard of folks levelling just via dungeons. My guess is it's a lot slower but not sure.
    7. Same. Lots of zones with different level ranges and mostly dungeons you'll do via the queue rather than actually visit.

Hope this helps. There's more experienced folks around but I figured I'd give you my thoughts to help out. Most importantly, its free to play, so go ahead and level a character or two through to 15-20 or so and see how you enjoy it.
  • eckexeckex Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I wish i had know there were all these different currencies, to me it's the hardest part of the game as I am just getting into Campaigns, and each campaign has multiple types of currency lol
  • autzenpowers#0973 autzenpowers Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    There are far too many different types of currency and keys. I’m enjoying the game but I don’t see myself sticking with it just because of their approach toward unlocking anything. I much prefer a simply monthly fee or separate store. That is the main turn off on this game is the fact that their money grab is always in your face.
    I get some FPS issues in protectors enclave, but I'm only there to pick up/turn in quests. I've had no lag related issues in adventure zones or dungeons.
  • bandrashubandrashu Member Posts: 19 Arc User

i wish i'd known how bad the fps drops were and gets increasingly worse the further you progress

I wish the rubber banding was not a part of this game !!

i wish my powers worked when i actually try using them

i wish i had known all these things before i spent money on this game !

I have only experienced lag once in a dungeon. I have yet to experience FPS drops. My toon is only lvl 57, so I may not have visited these areas yet.

I do dungeons/skirmishes daily, and do the daily capmaign quests as well.
  • chiefcham#2722 chiefcham Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Don't donate campaign currency to guild until you finish the campaign...waiting on one area to be reset so I can finish due to campaign currency requirements to complete task. :(

Main: ChiefRogue
    (Trickster Rogue)

Alt: ChiefWarlock
    (Scourge Warlock)
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    How valuable diamonds are for refining things. I had 2 and had no idea what they were used for when I had them. I needed money so I sold them for gold. I learned my lesson and now with all items I receive I review and determine how I will use it.

Live and learn as they say.
  • memphiss12memphiss12 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Thanks for all the replies people.

I'm now level 33, without trying and just doing quests and the odd dungeon. I'm loving the game, but I do agree that the cash shop is thrown in your face at time especially with the discounts you can get as drops :/

Some more questions, if that's ok.

1. What is a good companion to get? My healer has hit level 20 and it's going to be privet to increase her "quality".. Is it worth upgrading her?

2. I'm still not sure what the thing is with; refining. At the minute I'm just using all my runes to upgrade my Artifact. I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing in this sense.

3. I was told crafting is pointless and there just for "something to do" or some fun when you're bored. Is this correct?

4. What's the best race and class for A: archer & B: Mage

5. When should I use my purple keys? I have 70+ purple boxes but only 3 keys :/ is it best to wait until end game? Or open now?

6. If dragon class is the best class, is this game indeed "pay to win"

7. Is the best end game gear obtained through dungeons and raids or paying for the weapons of purple keys?

Thanks in advance .
    You're getting into much more specific stuff now, but some general thoughts.

1. I haven't upgraded my companions, seems like better things to spend AD on. Most build guides for a class recommend specific companions, my plan is to just save for those exact ones at end game. I do have the dog from first buyers pack which is blue though (so level 30).
    2. I messed around with it, but basically other than the enchants for XP bonus and artifacts I've stopped bothering with refining until end game. I just put whatever I've looted into my levelling gear as it gets replaced so quickly and I got to the point I figured I'd stop wasting gold on removing my upgraded enchants.
    3. Seems like half the advice is that crafting is useless and half is that some can be handy end-game. I'm following the advice that jewellcrafting can get you rings that are nice, and leadership can help with the whole refining process. I've got a couple alts to lvl 12 and also do armor style crafting on them just incase it's worthwhile, but I just do the 6 hr tasks 2 or 3 times a day on them. I think I gave them 2gold each and other than that its essentially free to do and only takes a couple minutes per day, so figure why not.
    4. Check guides. mmomind.com
    5. What you get doesn't depend on level, so there's no point waiting. The only real benefit from waiting is that by opening more at once there's a bit more excitement when you get to it, and I guess you might have a better idea how good the stuff you get is. I'm impatient, I either open daily or wait till 3 or 4 and open them.
    6. Mixed feedback here. Lots say race makes very little difference, some say it's a big deal. My impression is that in PVP every little bit matters, but PVE less so. I definitely wouldn't way dragonborn makes game PTW you can do fine without it.
    7. This I don't know. My impression is that the best end game gear is loot from campaigns. A lot of it is "upgrading" via refining (artifacts and enchants) and keys help with refining items for sure.
  • warppigeon#7444 warppigeon Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    1. leveling up = learning class and game mechanics, and 70+ = the real game.
    2. early quests give a lot of benefit. (bags/mounts/companions/artifacts/artifact weapons). Later on skipping areas you out level is not going to hurt. but early on it can actually hinder you.
    3. you do not need to squirrel away skill points. you can pretty much test every ability.
    4. enchants can be removed from armor and its pretty cheap to do so, and cost is based on the gear not the enchant. so get the best enchants going, Guild events drop level 5 enchants regularly. and level 7 enchants for 6 trade bars (which come from opening lock boxes) its actually very cheap, worth getting for any VIP player.
    5. options>items>collections shows you what gear comes from wear, useful at 60+ so you can begin prioritizing campaigns and time spent.
    6. if you get a blue/rare or better mount, they have increased speed, but this speed has to be selected in the mount screen, it is not applied by default.
    7. Iirc you can use items in a characters personal bank, but not in an account/shared bank
    8. once you can salvage gear AD becomes easier to get
    9. companion levelling is expensive. (AD)
    Common > uncommon Costs 50,000 Astral Diamonds and uncommon>Rare costs 250,000 Astral Diamodns
  • sc4500sc4500 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    1st google
    2nd youtube
    3rd twitch
    4th pc friends there info
    5th xbox friends there info

6th it a hell of a game .
  • riksu76#4534 riksu76 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I wish I had known the importance of different marks and lesser marks in refining my artifact weapons and artifacts. Now that my character is lvl 70, and I need those bloody marks, I can't find or buy them anywhere. I had loads of them earlier in the game but I sold them or otherwice wasted them foolishly.

if you get a blue/rare or better mount, they have increased speed, but this speed has to be selected in the mount screen, it is not applied by default.

Well heck, I didn't know that till I read this. How strange to implement it like that. Thanks! I was wondering why my new epic mount didn't seem much faster than the electric tiger.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Re Crafting/Professions.

Some professions are actually very useful, mostly in terms of saving how much AD you spend later on.

E.g:
    armor reinforcement kits - add 200 points per kit to an armor piece for either power/crit/defence/lifesteal/armor pen etc.
    They can be bought from the AH but if you make your own Unified Elements in Alchemy (an ingredient for the kit) then make the kit yourself (different professions make different kits) then you'll save around 50-100k per kit.

Leadership - at the top ranks makes refinement items which you'll need for levelling up your artifact gear.

Jewellery Crafting - for making /personalising certain jewellery. This stuff used to be BiS, it's not any more but is still useful until you get the top gear.

Alchemy also makes potions, some of which are better than the L70 ones you get from drops and they also sell for a reasonable amount on the AH.

Having 6 characters, I always do Jewellery Crafting first, then whichever armor craft for the class I'm training up (e.g. plate for a tank) then usually weaponsmithing as it's relatively quick. My goal is to get 3 professions above 20 and unlock all windows.

Once I have all windows unlocked I do Alchemy then Leadership. Leadership takes a lot longer than any of the others but is one of the most useful at r25 so you really need all 9 windows unlocked or it'll take forever.

Once you've levelled your professions and made everything you need from them you can turn them into profit machines. making and selling everything from refinement stones to crafting ingredients to potions, whatever is getting a decent price at that time. Needless to say the more characters you do this on, the more you can multiply your earnings from them.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • wormdaddy24601wormdaddy24601 Member Posts: 21 Arc User

I wish I had known the importance of different marks and lesser marks in refining my artifact weapons and artifacts. Now that my character is lvl 70, and I need those bloody marks, I can't find or buy them anywhere. I had loads of them earlier in the game but I sold them or otherwice wasted them foolishly.

Yea, I know I will be glad I have them in a few levels, but boy howdy do they take up gobs of slots in my bank and pack right now.
  • terrordactyl#4367 terrordactyl Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    The lag / rubber banding.

I really wish it would go away, as it can spoil the game completely at times
  • demigodgamer#7121 demigodgamer Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    Not listening to "other" peoples opinions and doing your own thing:P