test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Strength or Charisma Question Again!

starkman#8414 starkman Member Posts: 47 Arc User
Hey there,

Brand new to the game (as of yesterday). I've done a lot of general research to get a grip on the game and all, but I've run across information that is either conflicting or is just old in regard to the better between strength or charisma for a Cleric. Further, I see blogs, guides, posts, etc., making claims about what each does but I can't seem to validate on Arc or Wiki some of the information given, which, of course, makes me suspicious about it (sorry, dont' have an example off the top of my head).

So, would a few of you be willing to spill the beans about the two and which route to go depending what one wants to do with the Cleric? As for me, I'd eventually like to concentrate (come end game) on healing and support, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot early on by not knowing which attrib of the two to level up — I want to be able to solo fairly well before end game.

Okay, then, thanks very much,

Starkman
Starkman

Comments

• Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    Basically STR outperforms CHA by stat points so unless you are going to squeeze out every bit of recovery for perma HG or AA spamming, going STR and get some recovery if u need it is better. 1 STR = 400 crit, 1 CHA = 200 recovery.
  • Options
    Thanks, jazz, but I'm brand new here (two days), so I have no idea what HG or AA spamming is. Can you break it down for me? Thanks.
    Starkman
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    Wisdom – 1% Damage Bonus, 1% Bonus Healing, 1% Control Bonus, 1% Control Resist
    Strength – 1% Critical Chance, 1% Stamina Regen 1% DoT Damage Resist
    Charisma – 1% Recharge Speed Increase, 1% AP Gain, 1% Companion Stat Bonus, 1% Control Resist
    Constitution – 2% Maximum Hit Points
    Dexterity – 1% AoE Damage Resist, .5% Deflection Chance
    Intelligence – 1% Recharge Speed Increase

For the purposes of our conversation. Charisma equals a decrease in the cool down for casting spells. Strength is in increases in Critical Strike Chance (which can impact heal potency). So thinking of it in basic terms. Charisma impacts how often you can use a spell and strength is how potent that spell is.

Next as mentioned by Elf. You can increase those areas in game with in game stats on gear, enchantments, and artifacts. In that case 400 critical strike points equal 1% increase to critical chance. In contrast 200 recovery points equals 1% increase to recharge speed. So from a point perspective you get more return from strength than charisma.

Both stat categories have a form of diminishing returns in that there is a theoretical hard cap on critical chance which is when it reaches 100% (not easy to reach btw). In contrast with recharge speed if you increase your recharge speed 1% and the spell your using takes 16 seconds to recharge it will recharge .16 faster. After you've stacked 50% recharge speed the recharge speed is 8 seconds. A 1% increase in the stat will only grant you .08 decrease in cool down. So the return on your investment becomes lower the more you stack.

In any regard most healers shoot for 100% Astral Shield up time (its an important spell at end game for damage mitigation). I've heard but haven't tested that you need 16,000 recovery at end game to accomplish that 100% up time.

Honestly if your new to the game. I wouldn't over think it to much. Your ability scores can be rerolled (but it is expensive). Your view of how you play your DC may change after you've experienced it.
  • Options
    Putz,
    Your post rocks. It explained a whole lot and made several things clear to me. Thanks very much.
    As I've posted elsewhere, I'm thinking the best strategy is to simply negotiate with the enemy: coffee, donuts...I mean, that's got to mean something, doesn't it?!

Thanks again!
    Starkman
  • Options
    np, gl
  • Options
    narjimanarjima Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Putz basically explained everything you need to know. I just wanted to add something in case you didn't know yet: starting rolls in NW aren't determined randomly, but there are some preset roll combinations. There is a great page at the Wiki that lists them all. I'm currently on my phone so I can't link it right now, but if you search for "stat rolls Neverwinter" you should find it.
  • Options
    Excellent, narjima. Thanks much!
    Starkman
  • Options
    neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Ability_Score_Rolling

dc doesn't get the option for the 18 wisdom role however. I'd go 16 Wis, 16 Str, 12 Cha, 10 Con, 10 Dex, 10 Int but Amber is 15 Str 16 Wis 13 Cha 11 Con 11 Int 9 Dex because she predates the lvl 70 stat curves and I'm to cheap to respec. As for races:

Amber is a Dragonborn

You are the one that has to stare at this thing for hours->years. Emphasis should always be on what you like and with the higher ability scores and stats available since the lvl cap raise, racial differences matter less than they did pre mod 6. Note changing races is very expensive (1500 zen) so this is not a decision to be taken lightly. I’ll list the ones ideal for the class and some personal opinions.

Dragonborn – Dragonborn is the only class that will let you put racial points in both Strength (+2) and Wisdom (+2). Also Dragonborn gives you bonuses for Power and Crit making it well suited for Righteous DCs. The bad part is most people don’t enjoy the looks and they cannot wear a helmet. If you want some insight into the dragonborn race, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArejI2nZLg

Half Elf – With +3 Con and +2 Wis and increased crit severity. Half Elves make the second best option for clerics.

Every other class forces you into an investment in what I consider to be useless ability scores or doesn’t offer points for our most important stat (wisdom) at all. I will review that more in the section below but for now just know that I put Dex/Int in that category.

Human – If you read old guides (specifically guides older than the divinity rework and the cleanse nerf) you will probably find recommendations for Human. Human does allow you to pick your ability scores for 2 points and instead of giving you 2 more ability score points it allows you 3 heroic feats. Unfortunately the 3 additional heroic feats have a very limited value at this time making Human a poor choice for max/min builds.

Drow – The drow has an interesting racial called darkfire which can fit nicely for max debuffs. Darkfire has a 5% chance to debuff targets 10% for 4 seconds. Unfortunately 4 seconds is not a lot of uptime and you get forced into taking Dexterity which is useless.

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Race
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Racial_Trait
  • Options
    Thanks, Putz
    Starkman
  • Options
    Oh, by the way, Putz, I have 18 Wis, 16 Chr and 12 Str. I'm considering re-rolling. Not sure yet.
    Starkman
  • Options
    18 wisdom shouldn't be possible. is that with your class bonus?
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm playing as a human. And with that said, I'm wondering (since this toon is only level 4) if I should just re-roll a new one with either equal Str/Chr or higher Str, since higher Str seems to be the better suggestions as of late. What would you do?
    Starkman
  • Options
    As mentioned above, just have fun. It won't make a huge difference at end game either way. Either you reach your recovery goal early and start using gear/enchants to stack other stats or visa-versa. The overall difference is only going to be a few hundred stats out of 30K+ stats. I wouldn't overthink it unless you intend to make a BIS character in which case you have the $ to adjust it later anyhow.
  • Options
    putzboy78 said:

As mentioned above, just have fun. It won't make a huge difference at end game either way. Either you reach your recovery goal early and start using gear/enchants to stack other stats or visa-versa. The overall difference is only going to be a few hundred stats out of 30K+ stats. I wouldn't overthink it unless you intend to make a BIS character in which case you have the $ to adjust it later anyhow.

Got it. Thanks much!

Starkman