test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

-

jcamps30jcamps30 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
edited August 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey. New to the game and I just made a Warlock that's now level 17. I might make a Mage and see how they are. I do want a main Melee class and I do love the Rogue style in games I play. Having fun with my Warlock (even though there's a lot of CDs). Maybe a Mage will be different. Idk. I love visuals.

Would Rogues be a good beginners class for me, or should I stick with my Warlock for now until I understand the game more and even later on. Usually Range is easier than Melee when it comes to dungeons.

- Do rogues have good survival?
- How is the DPS, Single and AOE (Do they have AoEs)
- Do they heavily rely on stealth for dps?

Any pros and cons about the Rogue class?

Off-topic:
If I buy the VIP for 1 month and it expires, do I still get the bonuses or no?.
Post edited by jcamps30 on

Comments

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Rogues are probably one of the most balanced out there. They don't over perform, they don't under perform. They have great survivability ease to solo content with their dodges and stealth mechanic.

TRs have a lot of options for AoE and single target. If you want to blow down mobs, they can do that, rip and tear a boss, they can do that.

Pros of the TR

Survivability
    naturally low agro in groups
    very high burst
    CC

Cons
    a steeper learning curve
    aren't over performing gods like GWFs and such. Not that it's a bad thing.
  • Options
    brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    ghoulz66 said:

TL;

This pretty much says it all, don't go expecting do a MASSIVE carry on your team with TR; that's not gonna happen, however I can guarantee you that TR is underrated and very balanced, you can revive almost an entire team if they die on your own (you get basicly no aggro as TR, even your companions get more than you, so you die last) especially with smoke bomb, it opens a very big window of opportunity for tanks when there are too many adds and they need time to heal or to kill them and with equal gear you can definetely compete with the top DPS if you know what you are doing.
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    TR is a solid class, find a good Executioner build and have some fun in PvE. Playing it efficiently can get a bit tedious and sometimes you may have the feeling that other classes can get work done with less investment, but the class is certainly balanced and with the direction the game is going, it might even become better after they are done nerfing the buffs/debuffs in the game. Not to mention, they are PvP gods.
    If you want to deal even more damage with a lot less investment, you should try Great Weapon Fighters.

While gear is pretty important in this game, positioning, movement and learning your rotations is even more important.
    My advice to you:
    - Level up to 70 and get to know the game
    - After reaching 70, join a good guild immediately
    - After joining a guild, talk to people and get to know the game and its mechanics. It's pretty complex and you can do some fun stuff

Welcome to Neverwinter.
  • Options
    mercedesmanmercedesman Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    A common complaint is that when a new lvl70 rouge goes to places like IWD and WOD they die pretty easily. My suggestion to you is to take feats for deflect, LS and reduced incoming damage from the first 3 sections of Scoundrel and then make up the rest in Executioner. This will help with staying alive. My original build was pure scoundrel all PVP gear and once I got to 4K IL and was not putting up decent numbers in fights (with me running ACT to see where I was placing) I decided to break away from scoundrel and do the build I described above. MY ability to stay alive didn't change that much but my DPS increased greatly. I am by no means a rouge expert but I am willing to help anyone in-game at any time. look me up @oldashell if you would like.
  • Options
    divot#6521 divot Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Control Wizard is the best class you can play as a beginner, because their Ulitimate powers (dailies) and powers in general look cool, the fact that you can daze/stun with all the powers you have it's great for newcomers.
    The worst class you can play as a beginner is a combat (melee) archer, you most likely would die on every encounter untill you unlock survivality feats.
  • Options

A common complaint is that when a new lvl70 rouge goes to places like IWD and WOD they die pretty easily. My suggestion to you is to take feats for deflect, LS and reduced incoming damage from the first 3 sections of Scoundrel and then make up the rest in Executioner. This will help with staying alive. My original build was pure scoundrel all PVP gear and once I got to 4K IL and was not putting up decent numbers in fights (with me running ACT to see where I was placing) I decided to break away from scoundrel and do the build I described above. MY ability to stay alive didn't change that much but my DPS increased greatly. I am by no means a rouge expert but I am willing to help anyone in-game at any time. look me up @oldashell if you would like.

Well, IWD and WOD are not the first campaigns you should start anyways, the mobs there are level 73 and deal a ton of damage, new players should go for sharandar and dread ring at least before going into those. As a TR, I know why people struggle there, there isn't much defence we have to protect us while we take 2 years to kill the mobs, but I find that with patience, you can do a Smoke bomb>ITC>Stealth rotation forever (you need to right build) and while smoke bomb is active keep stabbing them, then switch to itc and don't stop stabbing. I recommend stacking a bit of regen to be able to heal up the damage you got in ITC stance while stealth.
  • Options
    nightbringer121nightbringer121 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Okay so it seems like me and other like 20-30 3k+ Trickster Rogues i met are playing entirely different game than the people who commented here on this thread...First thing first TR is fun i can't say anything about that. BUT there are some small problems...TR is awesome in pvp...like really awesome. But thats the end. When you are facing eng game content you'll hit a wall called GWF/CW/SW. These 3 dps classes outperform equally geared/skilled TR in dmg at least 3x. Thats not some kind of superstition thats a fact (ACT). Sometimes you'll face a problem when trying to find a group for edemo/cn "we already have TR" or "No TR sry" I am not speaking about PUG groups from PE but 3k+ channels/alliances/guilds where it happens. So unless you are prepared for this I would currently stick with CW. That's just my opinion and well with 3x rank 12 bonding even TR can be a beast so it's up to you.
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    Person above seems to argue from an emotional standpoint. An equally geared/skilled TR is able to keep up with CWs, be slightly behind GWFs. Certain classes perform differently, based on the group size and type of the monsters. Being outdamaged by even 2x is highly unlikely if you're doing everything right, not to mention 3x. @jcamps30 The best advice I can give to you is to collect experience on your own and don't let people influence you in a highly negative way. This forum has quite a few people who are too stubborn to learn and would rather prefer the narrow-minded "I am the center of the universe" attitude. Each and every class in this game has at least 1 spec that is able to compete with any of the other classes.
  • Options

Okay so it seems like me and other like 20-30 3k+ Trickster Rogues i met are playing entirely different game than the people who commented here on this thread...First thing first TR is fun i can't say anything about that. BUT there are some small problems...TR is awesome in pvp...like really awesome. But thats the end. When you are facing eng game content you'll hit a wall called GWF/CW/SW. These 3 dps classes outperform equally geared/skilled TR in dmg at least 3x. Thats not some kind of superstition thats a fact (ACT). Sometimes you'll face a problem when trying to find a group for edemo/cn "we already have TR" or "No TR sry" I am not speaking about PUG groups from PE but 3k+ channels/alliances/guilds where it happens. So unless you are prepared for this I would currently stick with CW. That's just my opinion and well with 3x rank 12 bonding even TR can be a beast so it's up to you.

You're doing it wrong then, why are you going for those groups anyways? That's why Cryptic made guilds like they ar enow, so you don't have to rely on those picky groups to run dungeons.
    Your "wall" is wrong, why? First of all, an equally geared CW does NOT get ahead of you by 3x at all, I have seen it, it anything its by a little margin, 2.5k TR vs 2.5k CW and 3.5k TR vs 3.5k CW have a difference in damage of basically who can get to mobs faster wins. Then its true that SW gets ahead by 3x, but you know why? Its bugged AF, I have a 2.8k SW in my guild that killed a DF dragon with 1 skill and just 1 cleric buff, he's even afraid of using that skill in DF again, there's so much wrong with them and a fix to half of them is coming next mod. then GWF is the same deal, I see them deal 2kk damage with IBS and a single cleric, that simply is a problem of math on behalf of criptic, they are multiplying damage buffs instead of base damage, it should never be possible to do that. If a fix for these classes comes, you bet your HAMSTER TR can outperform them if you know what you're doing.
  • Options
    jcamps30jcamps30 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    As of now I'm going to stick with my Warlock until I get familiar with the game then try melee. Is there a way to cancel the profession timer?. I picked the 6 hour one by mistake. Can you cancel it or is the only way the diamonds to speed it up?