test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Beginner Guides

I have been doing some research on building a character since I have no experience with Neverwinter. I have found several guides, but they seem to be outdated.

Can anyone provide a solid beginner's guide that details decent race/class combos and basic character builds, please?

I don't want to copy an established character, but I would like a legitimate guideline to work with.
"We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel (Holocaust Survivor and Human Rights Leader)

"Show respect even to the people that don't deserve it; not as a reflection of their character but as a reflection of yours" - Dave Willis

Comments

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Unfortunately, there isn't a great 1-stop-shop beginner's guide anymore. Many of the old guides are out-dated with recent changes, and some of the great "background" reading was taken down permanently about 6 months ago.

The best advice is what was mentioned above, go to class forums and look at a couple builds. There are also threads on the PC forums along the lines of "if you had to only make 2 characters, which would you make" that you can draw on for inspiration about which classes to role.

The good news is that you can't really go wrong right now. I think all of the classes are playable, some versatile in multiple roles. There will be differences in how easy it is to solo, get into a party, or PVP, but each class has a viable build or two.

Personally, I find playing support classes (DC, GF/OP, CW) to be a good place to start, since they tend to be a little less gear dependent than straight DPS. They do tend to synergize with parties well but have a harder time soloing.

• exusarmyranger#8228 exusarmyranger Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Thank you very much for the advice.

Initially, I checked there first. However, after reading the suggestion and went back to try again. I didn't realize there was an actual "Search" feature, and I have some decent information to build off of.
    "We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel (Holocaust Survivor and Human Rights Leader)

"Show respect even to the people that don't deserve it; not as a reflection of their character but as a reflection of yours" - Dave Willis
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    dupeks said:

Unfortunately, there isn't a great 1-stop-shop beginner's guide anymore. Many of the old guides are out-dated with recent changes, and some of the great "background" reading was taken down permanently about 6 months ago.

The best advice is what was mentioned above, go to class forums and look at a couple builds. There are also threads on the PC forums along the lines of "if you had to only make 2 characters, which would you make" that you can draw on for inspiration about which classes to role.

The good news is that you can't really go wrong right now. I think all of the classes are playable, some versatile in multiple roles. There will be differences in how easy it is to solo, get into a party, or PVP, but each class has a viable build or two.

Personally, I find playing support classes (DC, GF/OP, CW) to be a good place to start, since they tend to be a little less gear dependent than straight DPS. They do tend to synergize with parties well but have a harder time soloing.

If you are referring to Kaelac's guide, that can still be found over here. Also, the link in my signature should cover pretty much every useful document out there.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited July 2016

If you are referring to Kaelac's guide, that can still be found over here. Also, the link in my signature should cover pretty much every useful document out there.

OMG a thousand times yes. Thanks Sharpedge that's awesome.

And yeah if you have a drink in hand and comfortable seat by the fire, everything in Sharpedge's signature is worthwhile reading to gain a solid understanding of all classes and combat mechanics. It's a lot of information, but some of the best out there.

• tempos#4626 tempos Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    here. Also, the link in my signature should cover pretty much every useful document out there.
    I too want to give a big thanks for that link, I had tried to pull it up from somewhere else before, and couldn't. Tottally forgot about the wayback machine.