test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Recommendation for Simple GF Tank Build

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to MMOs. I recently made it to lvl 70 with my GF Dwarf (this is the first time I've hit late game in an MMO) and got my hands on a respec token. I know my point spend grinding up was awful and I want to reorg, but the fancy build guides are all very confusing? It's a lot of, "Here's what you do to super perfect optimize!" and I just want some pointers on rebuilding my tank.

For reference, my current build and playstyle is something like this: Let the mobs come at me, Frontline Rush them back, Threatening Rush into one at a time, Crushing Surge them into pieces. I throw Mark and Griffon's Wrath on the tougher mobs and the bosses. I keep Enforced Threat slotted for parties and Fighter's Recovery for tight spots. I very much love Guarded Assault although I haven't tested other passives much. As I said, not complicated.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on changes I could make to increase my ability to tank in parties. Right now I go down hard if I try to draw all the aggro, especially in epics. I know part of that is my ilvl is still low (1.8k). I'm mostly wearing the Elemental Evil blue-level reward gear and artifacts (the base rewards, not the kill-three-million-crabs ones) and I like Waters of Elah'zad as my active artifact for a decent heal that's not on the potion cooldown timer.
Tagged:

Comments

• lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    1) Don't use that free respec until after the class balancing that is coming shortly is done, unless they confirm that GF's will get a free respect as part of that. It is highly likely that GF's are going to feel the joy of some rebalancing and that will affect things and might mean you waste your respec.

2) This is better placed in GF forum, ask one of the Devs to move it for you. There are guides in there from some of the better players (note point 1 above tho)

Regarding the rest

Your an IV, so at the moment that is harder to tank with than SM.

Get your boons from Elemental Evil, Dread Ring, Sharandar, Wwell Of Dragons and Icewind Dale - that will help a lot. If you want to tank, pick the tanking options - i.e. defense, stamina reg, incoming healing. Get some companions for active features,

Stack Defence, Recovery and ArP (Note 1 above cause recovery is to compliment ITF and that might get nerfed)

If you can't handle the aggro in Dungeons, then you need to avoid those until you either gear up better or skill up some more because as the tank that is what you are there to do and its not a nice place to be when you can't handle the aggro and the DPSers start having a go at you.

My opinion is that as the tank, part of your job is also to group the mobs so that you maximise the effect of the DPSers AOE attacks. This means getting rid of frontline rush and other encounts that have pushback effects.

For dungeons I use
    Dailies - Fighters Recovery & Villians Menace
    Class Features - Enhanced Mark (Shield Talent for Orcus) & Guarded Assualt - you may need Shield Talent until you have increased your stamina gain
    Encounters - Into the Fray (likely to get nerfed soon) and two of Enforced Threat / Lunging Strike Knights Valour
    At Wills - Tide of Iron and Threatening Rush

For Solo I use

Dailies - Fighters Recovery & Villians Menace
    Class Features - Shield Maidens Wrath & Guarded Assualt (cause I still block a lot)
    Encounters - Into the Fray (likely to get nerfed soon), Enforced Threat & Lunging Strike (swap ET with Anvil of Doom for single target)
    At Wills - Cleave and Threatening Rush (swap Tide of Iron for Cleave for single target)

But I'm far from a elite player, just opinionated with mediocre skills, in the GF section you might get some in depth help from the better players around.
  • lantern22 said:

1) Don't use that free respec until after the class balancing that is coming shortly is done, unless they confirm that GF's will get a free respect as part of that. It is highly likely that GF's are going to feel the joy of some rebalancing and that will affect things and might mean you waste your respec.

2) This is better placed in GF forum, ask one of the Devs to move it for you. There are guides in there from some of the better players (note point 1 above tho)

Important things I did not know! Thank you!
  • oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    If you have just made it to LVL 70 I suggest staying on as conqueror if that's your current path. You'll need the DPS to help you get your first boons. I suggest switching to tank when you at least already have your first four Sharandar and Dread Ring boons.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]