test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stuck at "Cryptic" screen

voidzerovoidzero Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Hey guys, I recently reinstalled the game thinking about giving it another go but I just can't get past the initial screen after I click "Play" on the game launcher. It launches the game client window but it stays at the "Cryptic" logo with a black background forever.
I've tried many different things to try to get past this. Among them I tried to:
  • Run game's safe mode
  • Run the game as administrator and in Windows 7 compatibility mode (I'm on Windows 10 btw)
  • Run it on the integrated GPU instead of the discrete GPU
  • Force DirectX with "d3d11Enable 0"
  • Disable on-demand patching so that I have the full game on my HDD
  • Check the game files' integrity
Nothing worked. The game previously worked well on this PC. The same has happened before, but running the game in safe mode has always fixed it.
Any more suggestions besides what I did?
Has anyone else been experiencing similar problems?

Comments

• azazelatsushiazazelatsushi Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Same as you... i stopped playing long ago.. never played much ever tho.. i came back in this week.. maybe a bit more, everything was fine,but also strange. Whatever i changed in the options, the fps stayed the same! Seriously... lowest/everything-off as possible was the same as highest options.. something is really f**d up with this game.
    But still it was all fine cause the fps was never gone below 10... avg on open areas were 20-30 ..and even goes up to 60 in instances.. strange i say.
    but it was atleast playable and fine for me really... then i didnt play on the day before the new patch/events.. after i patched the game i was not able to play since then..
    First it started with the problem u have there.
    Cryptic logo freeze... then Neverwinter logo freeze (or stuck) [btw i have seen an ignored post about this also] character screen freeze , not responding server, game server, client server... i also tried whatever i can, but its obviously not my (our) end...
    Today i tried only once.. and i will not likely try again.. ever maybe.
    cuz after the latest "fixes" patch it got even worse..
    I Clearly have no problem with anything else but neverwinter... but now it logged in and started faster than ever. until it reached character screen, where my whole screen crashed with damned rainbows and stuff... i felt like its over, my card is gone, so i pressed the shut off button, and its fine now. strange huh?
    Guess im done again with neverwinter.
    and now i really no wonder why i stopped back then.
    i cant afford a new pc just because of a fkdup game. sorry.
  • xivirianaxiviriana Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    I have a good PC, and Dx11 video card, and have recently the same problem. Cryptic logo will pop up after logging into the launcher and clicking play. Then nothing happens. Just black with a big Cryptic logo. And the only way to exit is by going to my task manager and end the process of the client.

Never had this before. And most posts I find about similar things like this problem are 2-3 years old, and have no solution what so ever. Let alone that admins or such ever comment.
  • xivirianaxiviriana Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 video card by the way, if that is useful to anyone. What card do you people use atm?
  • krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    Hi Guys
    While nVidia cards do feature high on the list of cards for those that are having problems, it is not just them. Also, we need more information, as in, please advise whether you have tried the following:
    1) Typing -d3d9 in the command line to change it to DX9 instead of 10, 11, or 12 when launching
    2) Tried Win7 compatibility mode on the launcher (if you are running 8 or 10)
    3) Run a chkdsk
    4) Visited this guide and adjusted your settings:
    geforce.com/whats-new/guides/neverwinter-graphics-and-performance-guide/print#

These are all tips that have been mentioned in this area - maybe we need to create a sticky at the top for reference?

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
  • voidzerovoidzero Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    krailov said:

Hi Guys
    While nVidia cards do feature high on the list of cards for those that are having problems, it is not just them. Also, we need more information, as in, please advise whether you have tried the following:
    1) Typing -d3d9 in the command line to change it to DX9 instead of 10, 11, or 12 when launching
    2) Tried Win7 compatibility mode on the launcher (if you are running 8 or 10)
    3) Run a chkdsk
    4) Visited this guide and adjusted your settings:
    geforce.com/whats-new/guides/neverwinter-graphics-and-performance-guide/print#

These are all tips that have been mentioned in this area - maybe we need to create a sticky at the top for reference?

I also tried 1 and 2 to no avail.
    I have a laptop with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 and a dedicated AMD Radeon HD 8870M.
    I have updated the drivers to the most recent versions currently available for both of them and all other games behave well (as I previously said). I only have issues with Neverwinter.
    voidzero said:

I have a laptop with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 and a dedicated AMD Radeon HD 8870M.
    I have updated the drivers to the most recent versions currently available for both of them and all other games behave well (as I previously said). I only have issues with Neverwinter.

Ah HA, more information! Very relevant!
    You have not indicated if you have run the chkdsk, many problems that would only affect one program could be due to system file problems (that a Force verify woud NOT detect) or bad sectors, which laptops are particularly prone to. Have you tried the other DX versions?

Make sure that you are using the Radeon card when launching, so:
    • Open Catalyst Control Centre.
    • Click “Power” and select “Switchable Graphics.”
    • look for Neverwinter from the list and assign the AMD GPU (would also do this for gameclient or Cryptic Game Launcher, whichever one you see on the list).
    Have you also tried temporarily stopping or pausing your antivirus? If none of these help, you will need to start a support ticket from the Arc browser...

The Small Band
  • voidzerovoidzero Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    krailov said:

voidzero said:

Ah HA, more information! Very relevant!
    You have not indicated if you have run the chkdsk, many problems that would only affect one program could be due to system file problems (that a Force verify woud NOT detect) or bad sectors, which laptops are particularly prone to. Have you tried the other DX versions?

Make sure that you are using the Radeon card when launching, so:
    • Open Catalyst Control Centre.
    • Click “Power” and select “Switchable Graphics.”
    • look for Neverwinter from the list and assign the AMD GPU (would also do this for gameclient or Cryptic Game Launcher, whichever one you see on the list).
    Have you also tried temporarily stopping or pausing your antivirus? If none of these help, you will need to start a support ticket from the Arc browser...
    I haven't run chdsk yet, but I really really doubt that it is related to any disk errors. Regarding DirectX versions, since I'm using Windows 10, it comes bundled with the latest DirectX 11.3/12 version. But I also have installed the latest DirectX 9.0c redistributable. I have also made sure that the game and launcher are running on the dedicated AMD GPU. I have even disabled my antivirus as you suggested. Nothing worked.

Now, how do I start a support ticket since I'm not playing from the Arc client (I play through Steam)? Is this the right place? https://support.arcgames.com/app/ask
    Not sure, as I always use the Arc Launcher, but that looks right
    https://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4653/tpc/4653/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2NzA0NDg3My9zaWQvQktsM2w2VW0%3D
    I also found this, you could try some of the tips listed in that link, and at the very least if they still do not help, it does have a link on the page for contacting technical support :)

The Small Band