test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

HR actually need a damage boost!

strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
edited June 2016 in Player Feedback (PC)
I've seen Oathbound Paladin's get nerfed twice recently, Trickster Rogue to my knowledge almost never nerfed despite huge stealth advantage in PvP, Seen Guardian Fighters Nerfed, Seen Control Wizard Nerfed as well and even Sourge Warlocks & Hunter Rangers in this rebalancing act as new classes have been added.

But Hunter Rangers clearly need a damage boost, and HERE'S WHY:

Been running multiple skirmishes the last two days to compare the damage of my HR (Hunter Ranger) against other classes and in contrast to their GS (Gear Score) which the last Skirmish I did had the following results. The vast majority show very similar contrasts since posting them all here would be difficult but all taken from Dwarven God's Skirmish.

(I realize it's difficult to generalize because everyone has different BUFFs to individual or team powers) yet I think this makes a CLEAR point.

1st Place: Sourge Warlock Soulbinder GS2484 14.8m damage & took 1.2m damage taken (1st)
2nd Place: Devoted Cleric Divine Oracle GS2128 12m damage
3rd Place: Control Wizard MoF GS1906 10.8m damage & took 3rd highest damage in 800k range
4th Place: Hunter Ranger Stormwarden GS2366 8.2m damage & took 980k damage taken (2nd) & 67 kills (5th)
5th Place Oathbound Paladin Devotion GS2386 7.8m damage dealt

Given HR & SW are supposed to be DPS classes and far more squishy than CW which are still squishy. I'm not surprised the SW got the TOP damage they are generally the highest DPS class given their squishiness. I'm just surprised given I took almost as much my damage despite GS being very close was so very poor.

I'm completely STUNNED my HR did so poorly for damage in contrast to a Devoted Cleric & Control Wizard with almost 250-450 lower Gear Score than and this I found on more than ONE occation. I've seen below others commenting CW need damage buff (not if they choose the right FEAT path and I'm sure that's TRUE with most classes if provided your playing to your strengths. I do know how to play a HR TRAPPER and I am using my full archery encounters switching to MELEE and utilizing them to gain damage buff's from switching stances regularly and often.

I think some of the HR's Class powers &/or FEATS need to be PROC'd UPWARDS to improve damage dealt. They also need to FIX Aimed STRIKE (At-Wil) so it does the damage reported or at least does more than the 1K it does today despite claiming 10K on the green bar. Still when a Devoted Cleric with a gear score of that is 250 less than you does almost 4m more in damage and takes far less damage because they actually wear armour rather than cloth you have a serious problem.
Post edited by strathkin on

Comments

• Options
    ahmantar1979ahmantar1979 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    IL says farly nothing.. There are many other factors that can contribute to those results, such as build used, rotations, companions used.. Even the enchants used can do a lot of difference..
  • Options
    valynstarfirevalynstarfire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 100 Arc User
    Also to consider are power control effects. More control = less damage.

Not saying I am disagreeing with you (especially on HR),
  • Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    What build are you using? I would agree HR needs an re-work for archery and combat, but trappers can be really awesome. Not as high as SW or GWF, but better than CW or even TR most of the time.

At high item levels the SW's are usually on top of the dps charts. I guess it's a matter of builds. Item levels can be a very poor gauge of strength here.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    You just had to pick the two classes, that have bugged skills, dealing millions of dmg. If that is fixed and they cant compare with other classes, they need a boost. ATM they are OP, if you know how to play them.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    asterotg said:

You just had to pick the two classes, that have bugged skills, dealing millions of dmg. If that is fixed and they cant compare with other classes, they need a boost. ATM they are OP, if you know how to play them.

Trapper is still good without hawkeye
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    Hi there,

i dont think SW needs a buff not even a little one. Sure there are loads of SWs who dont know how to play their class but if you use a good build and dont HAMSTER up your rotations SW is the single best dmg dealer (in my Opinion). Im at a point now where with the right group i oneshot/twoshot every boss (hits form KV/MV up to 108 mio SS with 4-10 mio+ dot). Its not even fair for the other classes cause they cant even touch the mobs.

Cant speak about HR cause i dont play that class but some friends of mine also break the dmg charts in DEMO or Tia.

• Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    sadly, if they give HRs damage boosts, HRs are gonna be the target of nerfing. HRs dont need to always take the top paingiver for a smooth and efficient run, but CAN still take the top, at the cost of taking out a large buff to the party by compromising overall party damage to self damage.
  • Options

sadly, if they give HRs damage boosts, HRs are gonna be the target of nerfing. HRs dont need to always take the top paingiver for a smooth and efficient run, but CAN still take the top, at the cost of taking out a large buff to the party by compromising overall party damage to self damage.

I would agree too, but we're all probably just thinking about the Trapper path. I've yet to see someone make Range or Combat work well.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    oliboyph said:

I would agree too, but we're all probably just thinking about the Trapper path. I've yet to see someone make Range or Combat work well.
    I played with an near BIS PvE range HR, until he stopped playing (NW). His dmg was better, then similar geared CWs, he outdpsed most SWs and GWFs, but good SWs and GWFs did do better then him.

My 3k HR does well. While he might get outdpsed by other classes, runs with fox shift spam are chilling as hell.

Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited June 2016

IL says farly nothing.. There are many other factors that can contribute to those results, such as build used, rotations, companions used.. Even the enchants used can do a lot of difference..

^

HR more than any other class loses a lot of damage when it's played poorly (I know this because I'm terrible at it).
    oliboyph said:

Not like the GWFs being mentioned aren't all Destroyers : \

tom#6998 said:

Hi there,

i dont think SW needs a buff not even a little one. Sure there are loads of SWs who dont know how to play their class but if you use a good build and dont **** up your rotations SW is the single best dmg dealer (in my Opinion). Im at a point now where with the right group i oneshot/twoshot every boss (hits form KV/MV up to 108 mio SS with 4-10 mio+ dot). Its not even fair for the other classes cause they cant even touch the mobs.

Cant speak about HR cause i dont play that class but some friends of mine also break the dmg charts in DEMO or Tia.

SW needs a rework because all their damage is from bugged feats and powers.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    HRs need a big damage boost, but only in PvP. PVE we/I can blow almost anything out of the water, except bis gifs or saws.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options

Also to consider are power control effects. More control = less damage.

Not saying I am disagreeing with you (especially on HR),

Well I've read others comments saying a lot of things factor into damage from control, enchants used, etc.. Which I'm aware there are ALOT of variable to consider which I'm sure DEVS are all too well aware of. Still after doing like 10-20 Dwarven GOD Skirmishes I'm an HR Stormwarden & Trapper build with mostly OFFENSIVE BOONS & ENCHANTMENTS. Generally after doing 10 skirmishes I even tried mixing up different skill combo's to see how those change damage and by in large the HR's is a clear UNDERPERFORMER.

Seeing a Scourage Warlock did 7m more in damage with a GS of only 100 more than me (hey everyone knows Scourages are the Highest DPS class) but I took almost as much damage overall as him the most squishy class in the game--so clearly HR's need some BUFFs to HE FEATS & PARAGON FEATS / Powers.

2ndly when a Devine Oracle not a DPS class with GS 2126 or less than 300 below you do practically 4m more in DAMAGE then HR's while they are reasonability effective there is a balance MIXUP because SW are the highest DPS given their squishiness, then followed by CW/GF but then close in behind should be HR not being beatout by a Devine Oracle with far lower GS?

Even a CW MoF with GS 1906 beat me by almost 2m damage. I realize they mostly AoE and with large MOBS in that skirmish their powers have wide radius so it will boost their damage whereas a HR they do have some multi enemy attacks in ranged & melee but most are limited to a smaller radius.

Overall the HR's damage capabilities seemed UNDERPOWERED given the damage they take is almost comparible to Scourge Warlock the squishiest class in the game...
  • Options
    oliboyph said:

Here's the FUNNY THING when I was RANGED Pathfinder I'd regularly do about 10.4m damage in that Skirmish, which was more than my TRAPPER BUILD at 7.8. The reason I tried Trapper is because as an Archer You're completely INEFFECTIVE at MELEE you may as well practically try taking out enemy by breathing on them.

Given I thoroughly investigated a proven BUILD for TRAPPER off MMOMINDS I do recognize I'm at least now feel capable in MELEE stance but given my overall damage is so low compared to the SW GS2484 verse my HR GS2366 resulted in him doing 14.8m damage & me 7.8m damage that's a pretty sad state of affairs.

I'm not sure I want to switch back to Archery because given most HR's Melee encounters do far too little damage you require TRAPPER to even make MELEE viable. Say even a few Ranged powers have quite low damage the only thing saving them for Archer's is the 40% buff from PREY but you also loose that as TRAPPER.
  • Options
    asterotg said:

oliboyph said:

I played with an near BIS PvE range HR, until he stopped playing (NW). His dmg was better, then similar geared CWs, he outdpsed most SWs and GWFs, but good SWs and GWFs did do better then him.

My 3k HR does well. While he might get outdpsed by other classes, runs with fox shift spam are chilling as hell.
    Well I openly ADMIT my former RANGED Archer actually did better in that same skirmish but you solely have to position yourself to stay away from the Mobs or core action and shoot from a distance with Falcon Class power to extend range because your completely ineffective in MELEE.

Now at the UPPER levels I realize if someone has a WEAPON ENCHANMENT that greatly increases CRIT SEVERITY by 75% you'd certainly as a HR be out beating most other DPS classes with a similar GS. Most other weapon enchantments are practically ineffective in contrast.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I not asking for a HUGE damage increase but as a TRAPPER being beaten by a SW isn't so much the issue especially if someone says some of their damage (today) is from advantagous BUGS, but when a Divine Oracle & CW with 250-400 lower GS beat you that's a slight problem--I didn't notice any high ranking BRUTAL enchantments on them either. So this lower gear score Divine Cleric or CW didn't have a DREAD enchantment with +75% Critical Severity either. Most weapon enchantments don't even come close to doing the damage a BRUTAL does.

I'm simply suggesting *slightly* increasing damage a bit for 1-2 encounter powers [MELEE] since the vast majority of them fall in the same range as an AT-WIL power for most classes (in the range of 1.7k-3.7k) and these are ENCOUNTER POWERS.
  • Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    resolved.
    Post edited by durugudesu on
  • Options
    strathkin said:

oliboyph said:

Here's the FUNNY THING when I was RANGED Pathfinder I'd regularly do about 10.4m damage in that Skirmish, which was more than my TRAPPER BUILD at 7.8. The reason I tried Trapper is because as an Archer You're completely INEFFECTIVE at MELEE you may as well practically try taking out enemy by breathing on them.

Given I thoroughly investigated a proven BUILD for TRAPPER off MMOMINDS I do recognize I'm at least now feel capable in MELEE stance but given my overall damage is so low compared to the SW GS2484 verse my HR GS2366 resulted in him doing 14.8m damage & me 7.8m damage that's a pretty sad state of affairs.

I'm not sure I want to switch back to Archery because given most HR's Melee encounters do far too little damage you require TRAPPER to even make MELEE viable. Say even a few Ranged powers have quite low damage the only thing saving them for Archer's is the 40% buff from PREY but you also loose that as TRAPPER.
    There must be an issue with how you play trapper in that case. Are you cycling through your encounters fast enough. I have my build here (http://nwobarthos.com/2016/06/09/hunter-ranger-trapper-pve/) if you want to take a look. The secret here is I'm dealing only encounters, everytime I have one encounter cooled down so I don't cast at-wills or even dailies anymore. My dots can go as high as 80k per hit without buffs.

For my ranged encounter setup, if I'm pared with a pretty good group, my hawkeye can deal 20M damage hits (of course this is a broken mechanic).
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    My FEATS are identical to your's yet my damage is rather disapointing in contrast to other DPS classes. What I've seen from Devine Oracle's, Control Wizards and certainly Sourge Warlocks around or less than my Gear Score is their doing 3m - 6m more damage in Dwarven God skirmish than I am.

I'm regularly switching stances between Ranged & Melee as your posts suggest (3 ranged) switch (3 melee) consistently. But to be fair I'll try each one of your 3 encounter combo's 1 time each and post the updated results in this message for you to see. o:)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    strathkin said:

My FEATS are identical to your's yet my damage is rather disapointing in contrast to other DPS classes. What I've seen from Devine Oracle's, Control Wizards and certainly Sourge Warlocks around or less than my Gear Score is their doing 3m - 6m more damage in Dwarven God skirmish than I am.

I'm regularly switching stances between Ranged & Melee as your posts suggest (3 ranged) switch (3 melee) consistently. But to be fair I'll try each one of your 3 encounter combo's 1 time each and post the updated results in this message for you to see. o:)

There could be other factors at work here too. What companions are you using? Weapon enchantment? Have you unlocked all your boons? Do you have good guild boons? There are so many things beyond item level.

Another thing is HR's tend to require a considerable amount of hand speed. Are you maximizing your encounter cool-downs? You need to cast them immediately after they are ready.
    Post edited by oliboyph on
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    No need for a damage buff. hunter Rangers are already very hard-hitting with Dread Enchantments due to super-fast shooting.
    They are amazing in single-player damage, although the class is currently broken DPS-wise.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    Seems my original thread saying HR need a damage fix and even Sourge Warlock needed to be addressed was also something Cryptic had recognized as well. Glad to see they are also looking at Guardian Fighter to correct a few broken mechanics there as well. :'(

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User

The Paingiver chart says literally nothing about the dps of the different classes nor has ilvl something to do with it.

Yesterday I did 110mil damage in epic demo with my gwf, the 2nd gwf did 25mil in total while he had 700 ilvl more than me.

We were both in the same party, so both got the insane boost of ITF.

The thing is, if someone opens a portal and I buff up with HD + BF before and insta rek the spawning mobs with 5m IBS no one else has the opportunity to do damage. Results in insane pangiver numbers for me while everyone else seems to do no damage at all.

thats why burst is good and thats why every striker need some.
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    @strathkin Could it be, that it's rather you being inexperienced than the class underperforming? I feel like someone with 2400 iLvL (especially as his first character), you lack way too much knowledge to jump conclusions like this. You simply don't seem to know how much you don't know. Your most used arguments seems to be "hes outperforming me, hes outperforming me, class must need a boost", pretty much seems like an indication that you are dismissing the fact that you, as a player may need to improve in terms of movement/positioning/proper usage of rotation, etc...

A huge part of the community is so undereducated and close-minded when it comes to actual game knowledge that it often hurts the image of a class and they get mislabeled as "UNDERPERFORMING"(to quote you), where in reality, people are just incapable of adapting and prefer to stick to stroking their egos by not admitting that it's in fact them, who are "UNDERPERFORMING", not the class.

The balance is off, most classes only have 1 or 2 meta-builds, but since buffs/debuffs exist that trivialize content, anything can be more than enough to clear any content in a timely manner.

As @thefabricant used to say "anything can be DPS".
  • Options
    pr3stigexpr3stigex Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    HR are OP, maybe you're not good at it?
    Lash Urzoth 3.7k GWF, Pr3sTiGe 3k SW.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    pr3stigex said:

HR are OP, maybe you're not good at it?

You know nothing John Snow. Go back to playing Pokemon Go!
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User

No need for a damage buff. hunter Rangers are already very hard-hitting with Dread Enchantments due to super-fast shooting.
    They are amazing in single-player damage, although the class is currently broken DPS-wise.

We already know trappers perform well, thanks for stating the not so obvious.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    IL does not take into account stronghold boons, insignias, bonded pets, etc.