test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suddenly I cannot create new characters

jamartjamart Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
I have twelve level 60's already and now six slots still available. However, for about three weeks or so, I have not been able to create a new character. Now I have tried letting the cinematic run, I have cut it off. I went through the suggested exempting it from my security program, force verify and start it in safe mode protocol. I did get a patch to come through, but none of this helped. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice. I thought maybe the fact that some of the open slots, possibly all of them were from packs I bought, so I even bought two slots through the zen market to bring it from four to six available. I've tried all sorts of playing with the settings, which is another problem because keybinds, HUD and chat options don't show up properly either. Does this sound familiar to anyone? :(
Post edited by jamart on

Comments

• Options
    miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    Keybinds, HUD and chat options are all per-character settings, so they don't show up until you've chosen a character and are in the world.
  • Options
    xginocidexxginocidex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am having this issue, I have tried all kinds of things i found on google and nothing works. I have 5 characters already and i can play the game just fine. First time i noticed this was about 2 weeks ago.

I cant figure this out. Game works great till i want to make another character...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    xginocidex wrote: »
    I am having this issue, I have tried all kinds of things i found on google and nothing works. I have 5 characters already and i can play the game just fine. First time i noticed this was about 2 weeks ago.

I cant figure this out. Game works great till i want to make another character...

Yep, it sounds like your issue hit at about the same time. I tried looking online elsewhere as well.
  • Options
    genodeuciegenodeucie Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So after a re-install still unable to make a new character. And i can confirm making a new character is possible, I asked a friend to try to make a new toon and he had no problem and is currently leveling up that character.

So i decided to try to make a new character from a different PC and had no issue. So this is either a driver issue even though my main PC is up to date, Or there is some type of conflict from a recent windows update. I have run across issues before with other games where a update from windows conflicted with gameplay.

I was convinced it was a corrupted file but a complete removal and re-install should have fixed it and it did not so i'm sure it's either a driver conflict or something from a recent windows update.. Not sure which one it is.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thanks, that makes sense. I actually have tried changing Windows, but I don't think I did it right. I'll try again.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So update, I still haven't figured out how to get it to work on my computer. It's using Windows 7, so I have to think an update has something to do with it. Anyway, I borrowed one with Windows 8.1 on it. I created two characters and ran them up to Neverwinter. I then found out my machine wouldn't let them in past the bridge so I had to go back to the other one and get them in Neverwinter. I can now run them on my machine. I'll have to do that for EE I'm guessing, unless the program somehow fixes the problem. I'll still have two slots, not sure what I'll do with those at this time.
  • Options
    jimpman88jimpman88 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ive had this problem since Nov. Tried again today after installing new video card and ram. Still doesnt work. giving up to play WoW instead.
  • Options
    xginocidexxginocidex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So after dealing with this for months i finally found a solution. PWE offered no real solution so i have been looking around for months.

First thing you want to do is login to the game and get to the character select screen.

Second go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en/Neverwinter/Live (Is what it looks like for me) Find that folder . Open it and click on the neverwinter folder inside.

Third click on the live folder and look for a file named binkw32.dll

Fourth Rename binkw32.dll to something else.

Fifth once renamed close where you just changed the name, Now go back to the character screen and select new character. it bypasses the intro video.

Note: You want your game open and on the character select screen while doing this. If you close the game to do this the launcher will just rename the file name back to the original and this will not work.

Edit: I can also confirm it gets rid of the splash screen once you cross the bridge. Confirmed work around.
  • Options
    jimpman88jimpman88 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Sorry to necro this thread but people should know this worked!