test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Few Questions About My Control Wizard Build.

semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
I've started using my CW as my main and I had a few questions on it.
1. I've been using the bottom paragon path for Chaos Magic (which seems the better of the 3 for the buffs that, while the description says only 1 can be active at a time, seem to proc 2 or all 3 when using tons of AoEs) but is it better to use that endgame or go for the top tree for the extended chill effect rather than party buffs?
2. I've been focusing on Power and Armor Penetration stats but I've noticed I'm stupidly squishy should I focus on defense more since the CW skills require you to be in the thick of it?
3. What's the best companion for a CW?

Currently level 65 doing the EE campaign and thx for any tips!
"So let me get this straight... We were cruising along at Warp 7 when we heard a distress call and moved in to investigate. But now you're telling me it was just the Captain's opening hail and we are the ones who are stuck? How could we respond to something we hadn't even done yet...am I making any sense here?" - Tom Paris

Comments

• semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    See I've actually been planning on using icy veins to allow me to slot shield and not lose my rapid freezing effects.

Good to know about the defense because currently when I attack a mob with 4 enemies their first attack knocks out almost 80% of my hp.

I've been using angel of protection but she hasn't been helpimg.much even at rank 35 due to the reason above. Usually after I freeze enemies I have plenty if time to.kill em before I get hit again but it's an issue if more than 1 mob attacks at a time.
    "So let me get this straight... We were cruising along at Warp 7 when we heard a distress call and moved in to investigate. But now you're telling me it was just the Captain's opening hail and we are the ones who are stuck? How could we respond to something we hadn't even done yet...am I making any sense here?" - Tom Paris
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Ill probably get called stupid for suggesting it. But as poorly equipped wizard, I've found Chill Strike on mastery as one of my most life saving powers. It's my main opener for instantly stunning the biggest baddie in the group, while removing a good chunk of health off the rest. This then gives me enough time to deep freeze everything left without taking too damage in return. For me, it lets me take control of the fight while still at range, before the baddies even get a shot in. Avoiding much of the damage I used to take as I tried to rush in melee range to open with steal time or icy terrain.

My strategy is actually quite similar. I use Scorching Blast full charged to hit the whole mob and give them Smolder (i use combustive action and swath of destruction to maximize it) and pop a Mastery Conduit of Ice (by this time they are nearly on top of me. And they get rimefire) I use Steal Time to stun them then drop a icy terrain and they freeze almost instantly and die by the AoEs overlapping along with Smolder and my Plague Fire enchant DoTs.
    edited May 2016
    Well from 65-70 my feat points are going into Icy Veins to add the 1/2/3/4/5 stacks of chill on encounter power use and my only delimma is whether to slot Shield or Fanning the Flames into my Spell Mastery slot. I don't really know how much more effective either one is. Also I have the Cleric companion from when she was a thing but the AoP seems more useful as she heals 6% of max hp every 2.5 seconds and adds a 5% damage reduction.
  • masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    Someone mentioned you need 65-70 res ignored...that is incorrect. You want to aim for exactly 60%. Nothing has more than 60.
  • juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    If the mob has a few big baddies in it, hit Oppressive Force right before Steal Time; the debuff from OF combined with the damage from ST seems to make things melt 3 times faster. And yeah, MoF rules lol.
  • samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    The answer for playing CW or any "squishy" character is real simple. Unless you are new to the game and this is the first character who fell off the boat...

Day one after blowing through the tutorial get to the bank and grab 2 gold. Buy any striker or defender companion Sellsword or Shield Maiden. Transfer AD using the Zen exchange to this new character. Using AD get from the AH a few Greater Companion Experience (purple) they run about 200 AD each rank up the companion and wait 9 hours for training. (Optional: If you have a lot of AD, just buy a green striker/defender from the AH).
    Play the gateway and get the dog. His active bonus is all you want.
    Active Bonus: (Affects Companion) +2/4/6/10% Critical Chance
    (Affects you) +100/200/300/400 Critical Strike

Next buy 3 rank 7 (2K AD each more or less) runestones and enhance the companion more so. The Sellsword is all offense and the Shield Maiden is all defense slots. If you chose the maiden be sure to make one Eldritch giving you 8.5% of her stats to your level 4 squishy.

Takes you the better part of the day but now you are ready to see Sgt. Knox. Kick butt? No way, you stay behind your companion and let them slaughter the targets. Once your on your way grab boons, weapons, etc..

For your build, I recommend: Death and Taxes or How to Melt a Dragon

Now for those of you who did just fell off the boat and thought CW was going to be easy... start another main or reroll a new character.
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain