test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Orcus with OP

sm0ld3rsm0ld3r Member Posts: 236 Arc User
Tried Orcus once on my OP and got destroyed even with DP up. He seemed to have some random AOE without a red circle attack that took me out in one shot.

Folks seem to want an OP for this fight so I must be missing something key. What is the proper approach to this fight on an OP?

Comments

• Options
    ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    Healing is the key. No matter how much HP you have you will take some big hits, as long as you have a good healer you should be able to tank it.
  • Options
    xeguevaraxeguevara Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Are you using binding oath? if you use this correctly you should be able to tank him without a problem.
  • Options
    handofdonkhandofdonk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    I've been a bit unlucky with this as well, although I'm a little rusty, and have only gone through it twice on Live so far, being somewhat stonewalled on Orcus after breezing through the rest. The weird thing was that some of his attacks seemed to go right through Binding Oath, as well as a Ring Of Impenetrability, which was *very* weird. (I've also seen this happen to someone with Anointed Army up, which normally negates one hit or so.

I'll attempt to go back through and look at the logs next time.

I'm loath to simply try the whole "Let the companion tank it" strategy, as that would make me a bit redundant.

Ah well, try, try again.

• Options
    diabeel27diabeel27 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    My base def is 32k , dmg res 101% - during combat both are way higher - that way i dont find any problems to tank him
  • Options
    wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    only time taking noticable dmg is when he spawns orbs, shield is up and my party is stayimg im those. Pala trinket helps there thou.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    I was also getting destroyed by the orbs. I drop my tank card and run for the hills when those appear - and pop bubble at the same time.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    My only problem tanking orcus was the first few seconds- If he decides to punch me in the face with the mace attack he can hit for my whole health pool before I get temp HP up and obviously my stacks of negation are not up yet. If i'm able to time binding oath/templars wrath and throw a bane or two at him i'm good for the rest of the fight.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    salmistrasalmistra Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
    diabeel27 said:

My base def is 32k , dmg res 101% - during combat both are way higher - that way i dont find any problems to tank him

Damage res cap is 80%, what more does not count
  • Options
    sethan93sethan93 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I am far behind those awesome DEF stats but I have absolutely no problem to tank Orcus.
    Start with Binding Oath and cast our beloved bubble. Spam Bane and templar wrath.
    TAB to get Binding Oath up in case it's not up thanks to other encounters.
    Bubble when you can.
    Key is to be protected by BO. If BO is down, I usually can take around 4 hits before dying. But after the second one, BO should be up thanks to encounters or TAB.
    Maybe people do it differently, but that way works for me.
  • Options
    nosimonosimo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 48 Arc User
    Popping heroism before you first charge in will give some breathing room to get settled in so you don't get one shot. Ignorant dps can get you killed if you charge in bubbled and they eat a cleave before you get your temp hps up
  • Options
    nope, can't get killed by bubble thanks to Binding Oath
  • Options
    @sethan93, that is the tactic i use, but those darn green orbs can still kill me if i'm not carefull.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, you have to be focused and cast BO at the right time :smiley:
  • Options
    artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Hello guys,

I've been trying to tank Orcus with my Protection Paladin but couldnt make it yet.

On my last try I had a pretty good DC with me, maybe not the most powerful there is but good enough.

I have 140k HP and 60% DR without any buff.

I was using :
    - circle of power to bump my DR to 80%
    - bane for 30% less damage
    - shield of faith 30% less damage
    - aura of truth 12.5% less damage
    - smite 15% less damage
    - shielding strike, a little less damage

With all this I was still losing about 30% of my health with each it.

I died after a dozen hits or so.

You speak of using binding oath but sooner or later wont I be killed by all the damage stored if I cant refresh it before it ends?

With better gear I could probably reach 80% base DR to spare the use of circle of power and I could get more health but then even with 200k HP I wouldnt survive much longer.

What am I missing?
  • Options
    binding oath wont kill you, orcus makes about 3-4 attacks in that time but only one in dangerous. he sometimes hits me with his club when BO is on CD, but it goes right into my temp hp. Having high temp HP is the key.

the only problem i have encountered is if the fight takes too long you might not have BO to use or long interruptions where i lose almost all my buffs, like green balls. I need to wait on my CD's so i can spare some divine call but DPS almost always rushes in. if i go in without BO i get one shotted even with 60%DR.
  • Options
    wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    After a few more runs my best experience if no lag involved :

Aura of truth
    Aura of courage

bane - up from the beginning
    templars wrath (watch it to be off cd at phase switch)
    binding oath - try covering temp.hp spikes or on cd.

shielding strike - constant
    radiant strike - for debuff or to move at adds.

bubble at need - usually after hands up move
    lay on hands - almost never used but can save from a spike

paladin trinket at need - usually when balls spawn.

improvement suggestions accepted.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll try with binding oath, templar's wrath and bane whenever I get the chance.
  • Options
    marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    Same set up I use exept I always use aura of wis, cant say I find tankning him any problem at 3,4 IL.
  • Options

After a few more runs my best experience if no lag involved :

Aura of truth

Aura of courage

bane - up from the beginning

templars wrath (watch it to be off cd at phase switch)

binding oath - try covering temp.hp spikes or on cd.

shielding strike - constant

radiant strike - for debuff or to move at adds.

bubble at need - usually after hands up move

lay on hands - almost never used but can save from a spike

paladin trinket at need - usually when balls spawn.

improvement suggestions accepted.

artifleur said:

Thanks for the suggestions I'll try with binding oath, templar's wrath and bane whenever I get the chance.

I finally got a chance to test your set-up and it worked! Thanks to Binding Oath I tanked him without a problem.

I suspect that damage resistance is added twice, once when damage is absorbed and again when you actually take damage.

I did a run before with a GF tanking and I noticed that the AC/DC daily Anointed Army can make things a lot easier but with Binding Oath there's no need for it.