test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

potential Sanctuary problem discovered for oath of protection (circle of light)

krzrsmskrzrsms Member Posts: 164 Arc User
Our protective circle didn't seem to be providing the protection it once did by casual observation so I decided to take a closer look.

According to the tooltip including the section for Oath of Protection:
You erect a zone of safety where you gain 30% increased damage resistance and allies gain 10% increased damage resistance and are rapidly healed. You are immune to control effects while maintaining this zone.

Oath of Protection: You gain 60% damage resistance and allies gain 20% damage resistance.

Most of this works fine, but the damage resistance does not. I'm fairly certain it used to, and I am not aware of when it changed. No idea if this was part of the recent nerf or not.

To test I went to WOD. I stood in a group of mobs and measured damage both before and after applying sanctuary. There was no change to the damage amounts. 60% damage resistance would certainly be a noticeable change, and there was none, as in 0 change. My current total damage resistance was listed as 46.7, so even if sanctuary were to take you to 60%, that would still be a noticible ~14% change. There was a group hitting me regularly for 962 both before and after applying Sanctuary.

It is possible to hold shift and bring up your character sheet. I did this, after the above change. On looking there my concern was validated, there was 0 change to my damage resistance while holding the sanctuary vs after it had run out, or viewing without it being applied at all.

After hearing several observations that paladins felt they were getting killed easier after the nerf. This could be one reason. Our shield is now not a shield at all, but a healing circle.

Comments

• Options
    Now verified it in ACT. There is no damage difference between when sanc is applied and not. Also looked at both the visible stats on character sheet as well as damage taken by another player and it doesn't seem to be working on them either. Though the damage taken would be a bit harder to see with it only being 20% and this being a quick test.

So Im encouraging others to test real quick and see about confirming this observation.
  • Options
    sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    @terramak - is this something to check please?
  • Options
    nosimonosimo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 48 Arc User
    Sounds like they need to change the tooltip so it reads "You erect a pretty blue circle that slowly gives off a pathetic heal and sometimes makes you cc immune"
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited April 2016
    @krzrsms I have moved this to Bug Reports (PC) as it is believed that this may be a bug, and requires further investigation by the devs. Thank you.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    tebancisnerostebancisneros Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I performed a small test myself last night. Apparently it works but different as the tooltip says.
    I left a foe hits me during 10 minutes, regular damage was between 1800-1900.
    excluding critical hits.
    Once Sanctuary is up, regular damage is between 750-850. It seems normal.
    But if I apply some kind of damage reduction like Circle of power.
    The results are the same, after and before sanctuary.

So based on purely speculation I believe it just help you to reach 80% reduction cap.
    it doesn't add a extra layer of damage reduction like GF guard.
    I dont have ACT installed since I formatted my pc, and I will not install it until weekend... probably.
    Maybe I will perform extra test then.

BTW I think the Sanctuary activation problem is a reported bug already, several times it doesn't activate. you need to put your shield down and activate again.
  • Options
    xeguevaraxeguevara Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    i tried with no equipment on (at this time i had 30% DR) and the difference is notable, damage taken was more or less 50% of before. With equipment (no negation or rings that increase DR) i don't notice any difference but i have around 50% DR. As @tebancisneros stated, it probably lets you hit the 80% cap. As i am always near the cap, its just a circle for cc immunity which is unreliable as it doesnt always activate and takes a long time to do so, the heals arent even good.
  • Options
    interesting.. well those certainly arent the results Im getting. There is something else at work here, so Im glad it was reported as a bug for them to look at. I continued to study it a while after this post, and have been seeing 0 difference between sanc and no sanc. Maybe its something with my build, who knows. ..either way its in the hands of the only ones that can do anything about it.