test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Fail of Low Level Dungeons to Provide Fun

unknowndramaunknowndrama Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
Starting a new character or starting to play this game as a new player is is
not as fun as use to be when low dungeons where played by the same level group or
in same range now if you que for a dungeon your depressing and sour if you get in part
high level players that one shot everything in the way and you have nothing to do but just run
to end and leave the dungeon.
This must have a end and low level players should play in team whit players of theyr same range of
level not one level 12 and two players level 70!!!
This is stupid and annoying and looks like a asian browser game whit autorun and autoattack!!!
Please fix this so new players and players that make new
chars to play and have fun whit a group of theyr same level.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    They can use the queue system to make a pre-made, same as everyone else.

And for me, "leveling dungeons" are a primary source of rAD on my accounts, so I heavily prefer instances with a high-level character just blitzing everything into oblivion in a few minutes. Of course I'm not a newb overall, despite having a handful of newb-level characters, but that's my take on it. They're a good back-up for when you just can't find a competent enough group for an epic dungeon, or just can't be bothered.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    OP, if you want to experience the lower dungeons properly at your level, go into the appropriate zone and ask in /zone and /lfg chat for other players to join you. Then set up a private queue group and enter the dungeon.

If you just randomly queue, you will get varied levels of players who are just there for the AD and will speed through it.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I've been doing the new levelling dungeons on some characters because they weren't available since I've been runing dungeons--and I want the achievements. I always feel bad for the lower level characters and try to hold back a little bit to give them a chance to kill a few things without my strafing Hidden Daggers.
  • Options
    unknowndramaunknowndrama Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 115 Arc User
    zibadawa said:

And for me, "leveling dungeons" are a primary source of rAD on my accounts, so I heavily prefer instances with a high-level character just blitzing everything into oblivion in a few minutes. Of course I'm not a newb overall, despite having a handful of newb-level characters, but that's my take on it. They're a good back-up for when you just can't find a competent enough group for an epic dungeon, or just can't be bothered.

OP, if you want to experience the lower dungeons properly at your level, go into the appropriate zone and ask in /zone and /lfg chat for other players to join you. Then set up a private queue group and enter the dungeon.

If you just randomly queue, you will get varied levels of players who are just there for the AD and will speed through it.

Is not about just me to experience the lower dungeons or to farm AD at high or low levels if everyone that played from mod 1 how the low level dungeons use to be and how the game use to be whit starting a new class and leveling tru quests and 5 player dungeon and then playing tier 1 dungeon to get proper gear for tier 2 dungeons you will know how unbalanced are "leveling dungeons" ...that being should not have higher level players and just players of same level and range...
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Is not about just me to experience the lower dungeons or to farm AD at high or low levels if everyone that played from mod 1 how the low level dungeons use to be and how the game use to be whit starting a new class and leveling tru quests and 5 player dungeon and then playing tier 1 dungeon to get proper gear for tier 2 dungeons you will know how unbalanced are "leveling dungeons" ...that being should not have higher level players and just players of same level and range...

So, basically, your argument is "the game is different! I want it to be like it was!"

As I said, you can still private-queue with "just players of same level and range" to run the lower 3-man dungeons. You can get blue gear drops that you can wear -- for 30 minutes before they are outleveled.

BUT, I can run 3-man ToS twice in 10 minutes on my lvl 70 to get quick AD, and a few blue pieces of gear for the SH.

So you can play it your way, and I can play it my way. I see this as a net positive, not a bad thing.
  • Options
    dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    They should remove daily AD from those dungeons if you are 7 level higher than minimum level.System should be easy to implement since it works for event drops
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    My guild has jumped on the opportunity of the "leveling dungeons" to create a contest of sorts.. naked dungeon runs.

Not only is it quick RAD, but it also has been providing lots of entertainment.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User

My guild has jumped on the opportunity of the "leveling dungeons" to create a contest of sorts.. naked dungeon runs.

We've been doing the same on some weekends when we're bored- we do races to see which group can run through fastest while wearing only weapons. xD

Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Everything was great till EE destroyed it entirely. High end players jumping in with just 2 people leveling up and without anything to enjoy. I missed Mod 2 during the leveling experience and wiping to multiple bosses in the classes 5 man dungeons you grouped at near the dungeon entrance.

Doing things like the final boss in Pirate's skyhold. Wiping to the swarm of enemies was great.

Or some new player who agros the mimic in Idris and causing a mass wipe. Watching other players panic and get chased down and killed :D

We'll never get that back and new players will never experience that. Back then the leveling experience was actually enjoyable. Now it's just a race to 70.
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User

We've been doing the same on some weekends when we're bored- we do races to see which group can run through fastest while wearing only weapons. xD

Make sure everyone strips off artifacts and uses weapons that are no higher than dungeon level... :-)
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    humorisbenefithumorisbenefit Member Posts: 60 Arc User

heh, I crawled them through with "companion", rule 1 - hit once and let pet do rest... very pleasant run and also we looked if all hidden "Features" are fixed from dungeons and was happy to find that "Still can hide lady in pillar ledge" and "Look eye to eye lava_monster"... pretty nice.

..BUT, back to Topic,

Its not good that one overleveled player run for all and making private queue is hard because low player base, well, maybe need just accept truth and try live with.
  • Options
    throsbithrosbi Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    just need to be able to solo que for the leveling dungeons. I for one love going back and wondering about to see whats changed and if i have missed some hidden thing/area. When I am leveling i dont mind the speed runs.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    dsn1118 said:

They should remove daily AD from those dungeons if you are 7 level higher than minimum level.System should be easy to implement since it works for event drops

NO one would run them..

you would get maybe 5% of the server population doing them.. with hours in wait time on queues.

you people are crazy.

EVEN back in the day.. no one ran these in the manner you THINK they should.

• Options
    throsbithrosbi Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    After several days of leveling some alts and doing dungeons one thing stands out. The new 3 man dungeons are nothing more than a speed run. Yes i can try to form a premade and que etc. I do not mind the speed run as a stated before but what gets me is when you try to pick up loot.

I have actually been kicked from group for picking up loot. I try to manage and pick it up between combat so it does not clutter the screen with all the loot roll info. However during these speed runs it is almost impossible to do so. To me every item is valuable. Even if I can not equip the item most can be donated to the ever hungry mimic, sold, listed on ah etc. I even want to open the skill nodes for the chance at those insignia. If i can not use them i can sell or again donate to mimic.

I have even had runs where someone at the beginning says do not do anything except keep up with me and zip off the go into the wild blue yonder.

Really starting to wish loot just automagically appeared in my bags during the course of the dungeons.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    They should set up a separate queue to have max level restriction.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User

zibadawa said:

Here's the thing. You are only low level for what a week or two? But you will be lvl 70 speed running dungeons saving AD for gears probably for about six months to a year. Unless cryptic makes a better way to get gears or generate AD, fast running leveling dungeons is the only way to survive in this game.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    I wish the cleric continued to give dungeon quests for low level dungeons at level 70. My guild needs all the avenues of SH currency we can get!

Maybe alter the queue so that lev 70s can only go it with other lev 70s if it's a public group.
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    and you would once again see people under max level waiting around for hours for queues to pop.

or go back to the original suggestion, make your own.

you vastly.. over estimate the amount of people interested in running these at level experience. By a large margin. I think cryptic is well aware of that.. this is no different then any other mmo. People do the experience of something maybe once or twice.. then just finish everything else .. any new alt.. they would skip it anyways.

Its actually counter productive as you can usually turn in 3-4 quests at the same time, netting a much larger return of experience for leveling practices.

• Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    I play the game since release and I know very well how dungeons used to be. Some of them were especially hard for the intended level (Lair of the Mad Dragon was probably the hardest considering the level it came, but Dread Vault was very painful as well), not to mention how some of them were unnecessarly long and took forever to finish, remember Spellplague Cavern? Dear lord that place was a trash mob nightmare.
    They were fun the first time, but that's it. There was no reason to return there anymore and, as time passed, it became increasingly harder to find a decent gruop to complete them at the intended level. After all, they gave no exp, no AD and the drops became obsolete in a couple of levels.

The Dungeon revamp had to come, they were clearly a broken aspect of the game and I'm glad the devs did something about it.
    As for the OP's concerns, I believe that the answer lies in the debolster mechanic, they simply need to change it so that higher level characters are "nerfed" more when they enter because, as it stands right now, they're still way more powerful than they should be.
  • Options
    blinxonblinxon Member Posts: 567 Arc User

It is pretty wild that so many people play a game called Dungeons and Dragons and hate running dungeons, and probably hate fighting dragons too.

/sign...........
  • Options
    tundrrabloomtundrrabloom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited April 2016

My thought if the devs are going to take the time to lower the player's level so they can experience the content they should lower it far enough that doing a naked run shouldn't be possible. Maybe instead of lowering lvl to X they should lower item level to X

• Options
    duryntedurynte Member Posts: 132 Arc User

It is pretty wild that so many people play a game called Dungeons and Dragons and hate running dungeons, and probably hate fighting dragons too.

I don't visit epic dungeons, these are for guild boonies and premade groups, no PuGs. I like a challenge, k.o. in one hit I don't enjoy. But I do visit a leveling dungeon regulary for AD, easy at level 70, and the interesting thing there is party composition, where I try to adjust whom I am going with. Sometimes I would call my companion, sometimes I would switch to group buffing, sometimes I just do damaaage (with 20 A's).

For the dragons from Tyranny of Dragons I feel pity, it is a slaughter and I wished they just once picked a few adventurers and just kill them. Tiamat again is for guilds and premades, no PuGs. Same for Demogorgon.
  • Options
    subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    They should probably separate the queue for people who are within 5-10 levels of the dungeon's intended level and people who are higher so that the people doing the dungeons at level have a better chance of not being pulled into farming speed runs. The scaling is obviously a total joke, lvl 70s can almost one shot the bosses.
  • Options
    phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    subnocte said:

They should probably separate the queue for people who are within 5-10 levels of the dungeon's intended level and people who are higher so that the people doing the dungeons at level have a better chance of not being pulled into farming speed runs. The scaling is obviously a total joke, lvl 70s can almost one shot the bosses.

Or just change the scaling. The obvious problem is that stats scale differently from 1-60 and 61-70. So when a level 70 character with stats that are very high (due to the bad scaling at that level) gets downleveled below 61, the stats stay high but the scaling goes back to the old way, making them absolutely overpowered for the content. Add to that extra echant slots, an extra artifact slot, set bonuses, hp on armor etc. And companions don't get scaled down at all. My rank 40 honey badger (equivalent of a level 80 monster) could solo all the leveling dungeons without me even doing anything.
  • Options
    subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User

subnocte said:

Or just change the scaling. The obvious problem is that stats scale differently from 1-60 and 61-70. So when a level 70 character with stats that are very high (due to the bad scaling at that level) gets downleveled below 61, the stats stay high but the scaling goes back to the old way, making them absolutely overpowered for the content. Add to that extra echant slots, an extra artifact slot, set bonuses, hp on armor etc. And companions don't get scaled down at all. My rank 40 honey badger (equivalent of a level 80 monster) could solo all the leveling dungeons without me even doing anything.
    Fixing scaling is much more difficult than just splitting the queues between people doing it at level and those above it. On top of that obviously scaling needs some work, as like you say anything below 60 requires no effort whatsoever.

I doubt anyone levelling up enjoys running any of the dungeons because they'll be matched with level 70 people running through it leaving all the mobs behind to get straight to the boss and out as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    subnocte said:

subnocte said:

Fixing scaling is much more difficult than just splitting the queues between people doing it at level and those above it. On top of that obviously scaling needs some work, as like you say anything below 60 requires no effort whatsoever.

I doubt anyone levelling up enjoys running any of the dungeons because they'll be matched with level 70 people running through it leaving all the mobs behind to get straight to the boss and out as quickly as possible.
    Well the last door to the boss requires everyone to be on the entrance. If you're smart, you'll clear the path so the runs goes faster.

As much as I (probably we) would love to have the queue system match players of the same level, It will only be the lvl 70's that will be able to to queue properly. We see people under 70 in PE begging others to queue for abarrant or PVP. We'll see begging for leveling dungeons soon if we implement scaling.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    Unfortunately the game drifts into wrong direction for long time.

1. Three person dungeons are mediocre even if you play at same level. It caused by its requirement allowing the completion even with 3 non-DPS characters.

If someone leveled characters before mod 6 and did low level dingeons, you may notice that it was advisable for party to have tank and/or cleric in party. I agree it was difficult to assemble such party. Also skill level of new players not always allowed to complete it. In my opinion leveling GWD used to be much harder than current Epic GWD. Have to remind that leveling MD, Idris and GWD all needed some basic team play.

2. Part of dungeons are still out of reach - Lair of Mad Dragon, Idris, Spellplague and Dread Vault. My understanding is developers have to find a time to remove all challenging parts from them and balance everything to "new balance" level.

3. Lore and adventuring spirit started to drop already in mod 4 with injecting ToD sub sector into questing zones. It seems working so well so now there are demon summon encounters. It is just depressing.

4. Uncontrolled bonus from mounts. It is possible to set 2000 Power bonus from mounts such as Guard Drake without any scale. With VIP a player can claim and use mount as soon as finishes intro mission with Knox.

If such lowbee DPS character participates in early skirmishes or Clock Tower dungeon, it will outperform any other player who uses just questing gear, and the game is provide few gear with enchantment slots before level 20.

PS. For already huge advantage of L70 coming to low level dungeon, L70 may found it is fun to run through such dungeon with Rings of Invisibility. Such a brilliant idea.
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    mistermob#7822 mistermob Member Posts: 22 Arc User

I play the game since release and I know very well how dungeons used to be. Some of them were especially hard for the intended level (Lair of the Mad Dragon was probably the hardest considering the level it came, but Dread Vault was very painful as well), not to mention how some of them were unnecessarly long and took forever to finish, remember Spellplague Cavern? Dear lord that place was a trash mob nightmare.
    They were fun the first time, but that's it. There was no reason to return there anymore and, as time passed, it became increasingly harder to find a decent gruop to complete them at the intended level. After all, they gave no exp, no AD and the drops became obsolete in a couple of levels.

The Dungeon revamp had to come, they were clearly a broken aspect of the game and I'm glad the devs did something about it.
    As for the OP's concerns, I believe that the answer lies in the debolster mechanic, they simply need to change it so that higher level characters are "nerfed" more when they enter because, as it stands right now, they're still way more powerful than they should be.

...wait wait, did you say "no reason go back"? Was it Dungeon Delve when "Chest" was open, was it multiple runs what was needed to get some good "items" from chest, was it good chance to "sell" drop in AH, etc ... maybe you mixed up things because T1-T2 dungeons became obsolete after IWD?(still Plaguefire Caverns was nice crawl and Epic Dread Vault hard one)

In current form those dungeons are cryptic...

ps. Queue for T1-T2 dungeons died after Tiamat dropped in if I remember right, before that reducing playerbase did queue times longer...
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited April 2016

...wait wait, did you say "no reason go back"? Was it Dungeon Delve when "Chest" was open, was it multiple runs what was needed to get some good "items" from chest, was it good chance to "sell" drop in AH, etc ... maybe you mixed up things because T1-T2 dungeons became obsolete after IWD?(still Plaguefire Caverns was nice crawl and Epic Dread Vault hard one)

In current form those dungeons are cryptic...

ps. Queue for T1-T2 dungeons died after Tiamat dropped in if I remember right, before that reducing playerbase did queue times longer...
    Geez, can you read? We're talking about leveling dungeons here. You know, not T1, not T2. The pre level-60 stuff. There were no good drops from there and no reason to do them more than once for the "fun" (and some of them were not fun either, Throne of Idris was so easy and boring I couldn't believe it).