test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is the paladin a viable healer?

irishxpirishxp Member Posts: 6 Arc User
Hello! I want to start this topic saying that even though I'm a returning player, I played so few and only in the beginning that I really feel like I'm starting a new game :smile:

Me, with some of my friends, decided to try this game together and were talking about which characters we should play.
I really like being a wizard but considering I usually play a healer in mmorpg I said I could've been a cleric.
So why the question in topic title?
One of my friend would like to be a Guardian Fighter and another would like to be a Paladin: can the paladin be a substitute for the cleric?
If that's the case, I could be a wizard and everyone's happy!
If not, I don't want to level up a lot just to find out we can't face endgame content :smiley:

Thank you for your time answering :wink:

Comments

• Options
    onegaki101onegaki101 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 327 Arc User
    Paladin is a very good healer, actually it is the best healer as long as the target doesn't get one shotted. The encounters and atwills allows you to heal all day everyday. You do not have to target/select area to heal unlike the cleric. This is assuming you going paly's Oath of Devotion path.
  • Options
    nosimonosimo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 48 Arc User
    A pally can heal but gfs have far better synergy with clerics. For endgame little healing is needed do to absurd levels of self healing. Buffing_debuffing is the better way to go and a cleric excels at that.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    Devotion paladins are great healers, and ok buffers.

I run Aura of Wisdom, Aura of Courage and Vow of Enmity/Bond of Virtue/Bane on most fights, as well as Shield of Faith (not sure how that change is going to affect runs).

Solo-healing epic Demogorgon is easy. I may not amp up dps as much as a DC, but there are fewer deaths -- so that's a nice dps increase right there. :p
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,292 Arc User
    Aura of life revive ally from death just be close to them. Very good for eDemo.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

nosimo said:

For endgame little healing is needed do to absurd levels of self healing. Buffing_debuffing is the better way to go and a cleric excels at that.

We'll see how long that statement stands after the maintenance. Lower damage, less survivability and DC buff nerfs.. Don't play your cards unless you've actually got that flush in your hand.
    @magenubbie I will confidently play my cards.
  • Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    Devotion Paladin is an excellent healer, which can also buff. They are also abit more resilient in battle than a Devouted Cleric, but this is arguable.

Devouted Cleric(DC) is more versatile. DC can heal, buff, debuff and damage, being the latter not as effective as a Great Weapon Fighters damage, but it is noticeble. A DC can hurt is he/she decides so.
  • Options
    Thank you very much!
    We're not looking to be OP or the perfect match, knowing we're not going to fumble it's enough :smile:
    It looks like I'm going to roll a mage :wink:

It's a bit OT for this topic but I don't know if it's worth to open a new topic just for this:
    I've read some guides but nothing recent.
    Any tips?
  • Options
    awrex1977awrex1977 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    DC in this game is not a traditional MMO healer, like others have mentioned - very versatile.

3 man team of GF (tank), Paladin (healer), and a Cleric (support) forms an extremely solid core of a group - add 2 heavy DPS will burn through content w/ all the buffing/debuffing/healing the 3 of you would provide.

• Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    irishxp said:

It's a bit OT for this topic but I don't know if it's worth to open a new topic just for this:
    I've read some guides but nothing recent.
    Any tips?

Your best bet is to go to the Class Forum sub-forum for the class you're interested in, and ask there.

Guides are going to be in flux right now, with the changes to OPs, DCs and Lostmauth set.

• Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    a healing pally is worthless in castle never. They are usually dead in the first 2 minutes and then get to stand by the fire roasting marshmallows. .... So if you want end game content not a good idea they have to be too close to the tanks/DPS to be any good and take a serious pounding then
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    mynaam said:

a healing pally is worthless in castle never. They are usually dead in the first 2 minutes and then get to stand by the fire roasting marshmallows. .... So if you want end game content not a good idea they have to be too close to the tanks/DPS to be any good and take a serious pounding then

Eh? I could tank everything but Orcus' melee attacks. You don't have to be near him to heal the DPS and tank.
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    From a GF's perspective, I'd prefer a DC everyday. Often your battling the paladin for aggro and the synergy between a GF and a DC is great.
  • Options
    I get it, thanks again!
    I suppose we're going to see what happens now :)
  • Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    ghoulz66 said:

mynaam said:

Eh? I could tank everything but Orcus' melee attacks. You don't have to be near him to heal the DPS and tank.
    You probably have a 4k op try doing it at 2.5k .... and a healer is not a tank .... it is a healer
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    edited April 2016
    mynaam said:

ghoulz66 said:

mynaam said:

You probably have a 4k op try doing it at 2.5k .... and a healer is not a tank .... it is a healer

My OP is 2.8k and was doing the T2s often back when was 2.5k. Practically the same, I only upgraded the color of my artifacts and slapped in the dragon hoard. I could handle eToS back then in a party full of TRs giving me all the agro. Me dying isn't an issue, it's the party dying from hits that is with few tools to help em.

• Options
    hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Does any healer class in this game have a direct targeted heal. I have seen aoe heals but never one that can be used on a target or I should say a fellow player. I have be a healer in the COH game that this company has done and we had both aoe and targeted heal ability. Not really sure as to why this might be an issue if it is one but it should be a power that any healing class has. And as to viable just go with what you enjoy .Doing that will allow you to learn a way to make it work for all.
  • Options
    phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    hawkeyel said:

Does any healer class in this game have a direct targeted heal. I have seen aoe heals but never one that can be used on a target or I should say a fellow player. I have be a healer in the COH game that this company has done and we had both aoe and targeted heal ability. Not really sure as to why this might be an issue if it is one but it should be a power that any healing class has. And as to viable just go with what you enjoy .Doing that will allow you to learn a way to make it work for all.

Sure, Devotion Paladin has Cure Wounds, Cleric has Soothing Light, both are at-wills and single target.
  • Options
    Currently we're facing the various quests around the world, obviously we're steamrolling everything but I can forsee the paladin being a viable healer as you all previously confirmed :smile:

One of my friends, who is new to the mmorpg scene, asked me if we'll ever face some difficult encounters: so I'm going to forward the question to you :blush:

I have played various mmorpg but only played 2 at end game: Star Trek Online and Final Fantasy XIV.
    Of the two, the former is from the same developers and frankly is quite easy, especially after putting hands on some good equip; FFIV on the other hand showed well thought instances that put emphasis on team coordination.

Where would you put Neverwinter on a spectrum that goes from 1 (STO-like) to 5 (FFIV-like)?
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Leveling content was designed to be completed solo. So anytime you group up for it you will stomp it. If you want more of a challenge you will have to focus on group content like Dungeons, Skirmishes, and Heroic encounters.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    the only experience I got witha healadin for now is
    1. great heal, you get near instant fully healed after taking an near onehit
    2. seems to be tricky for the healadin to reach all groupmemebers, running like a chicken in a circle?
    3. less groupbuffs than a DC
    4. less mitigation than a DC, wich is the main problem in case you have to heal a weak tank, let´s say at ORcus, the tank will die by a onehit 100%, no way to heal against.
    A DC can cast Astral Shield, Hollowed Ground, Devine Glow, and optional Exaltation to buff the defense enormously, in the end the far better way because his group buffs on top seems more powerfull and synergize with ITF
    Would be interested in actual tanking abilities after patch/nerf?
  • Options

the only experience I got witha healadin for now is
    1. great heal, you get near instant fully healed after taking an near onehit
    2. seems to be tricky for the healadin to reach all groupmemebers, running like a chicken in a circle?
    3. less groupbuffs than a DC
    4. less mitigation than a DC, wich is the main problem in case you have to heal a weak tank, let´s say at ORcus, the tank will die by a onehit 100%, no way to heal against.
    A DC can cast Astral Shield, Hollowed Ground, Devine Glow, and optional Exaltation to buff the defense enormously, in the end the far better way because his group buffs on top seems more powerfull and synergize with ITF
    Would be interested in actual tanking abilities after patch/nerf?

Also, the SW suffers a major DPS loss being grouped with OPs.

• Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    Yes, as we could see a 25-warlock-tiamat-run is the slowest run with the biggest number of victims compared to other classes.
    Displays what the class is like going solo, warlock only shines in a group getting buffed.