Install Arc

Closed

khyluhkhyluh Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Found what I was looking for.
Post edited by khyluh on

Comments

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I don't mean to sound too negative, but what you want to do might be a bit too hard.

You see, originally (and yes, I also started playing 3 years ago), you got very limited in-game benefits from being in a guild. There was the social aspect, and the possibility of having a pool of friends to play with, but that's it. You weren't really that much worse off if you were not in a guild.

This changed dramatically with the Stronghold expansion. First, if you are in a decent-sized guild, you have easy access to some of the best gear in the game (Dragonflight and Lionsmane armour). Second, if you are in a guild with high-end stronghold structures, you have access to powerful boons, which significantly boost your character.

The key words are "decent-sized" and "high-end". If your guild is small, it will be much harder for you to kill the stronghold dragons, which might put the armours out of your reach. Also, if the guild is small it may be impractical to build the high-end stronghold structures. You see, the cost to build the structures is the same regardless of whether you have a 10-man guild or a 150-man one. The cost is significant- we are talking about donating items worth over 100.000.000 AD to get the structures to a good level - not a big deal for a 150-man guild, but might be a showstopper for a small one. Some of the most active "elite" guilds even have strict donation requirements.

Here is the problem: A small, newly-formed guild has a catch-22 issue: It does not have the number of members or resources required to build those structures, and it has a hard time attracting members because it cannot offer them the benefits those structures bring.

What I have seen happening multiple times is that a small group of people get together and start a guild ... they manage to get the guildhall up to level 4-5, and then they just feel burned out - realizing that they will not be able to catch up. Some members leave for other guilds or quit the game, and the guild slowly dies - and all the effort people have invested in building structures is simply wasted.

There is a place for small guilds, but only if they offer something the bigger guilds don't provide - for example if you appeal to a particular subset of the players, like "Slovakian-speaking", "Dwarven RPers only", "LBGT-friendly" or something like that. A brand new "mainstream" guild will have a really hard time.

So, my advice is to reconsider - are you 100% sure you want to make a guild, considering the issues I mentioned? If your answer is still "yes", then by all means go ahead...otherwise consider joining an existing guild instead - even if it is just to get to know what being in a guild requires, and what the benefits are.

(And for the record, I am a member of Civil Anarchy (see link below), a fairly large casual guild, which has a few open spots right now)
    Post edited by adinosii on
    Hoping for improvements...
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    adinosii is so correct.

Small sized Guilds stay small

They almost never can get the SH advantages

Someday there will only be a few large guilds

Urlord
  • khyluhkhyluh Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Kind of just skimmed through this as it seems like a bit much for my little post. Just wanted to point out that I never said I wanted a huge guild. Just not a fan. I play casually with my girlfriend so not sure what the problem is. I only need 3 more people, right? Lol. Also, not sure if you guys considered maybe you're the reason why some guilds stay small. Not everyone has the time to take this game that serious or they flat out don't want to deal with the drama that can come with it. Thanks for the replies I guess.