test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tooltips--Accurate/Meaningful Descriptions

aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
As you page through the forums, you don't have to look hard to find a comment regarding how the tool tip doesn't accurately describe the power/boon/Quest dialogue (whatever you call the tasks given by Sgt. Knox or others). This could be because they are out of date, or didn't function as originally intended, or an inventive player created a novel use for the power/item that the developer didn't anticipate. (Hey--This is D&D based, after all--what DM hasn't had that happen?)

I don't want to create a discussion for negative comments; I am hoping to gather some of the best comments from all those other threads into one area so that the devs could have one place to look for suggestions on tool tip changes. (Moderators--if this topic is in another thread, please move my comment to that one.) I am fervently optimistic that the devs could make some of these simple changes (I think text based 'bubbles' are simple to change, but feel free to poke fun if I am wrong) because a dev was perusing another thread and made what I would consider a much more complex fix within a short time. Just because he could. Just because he saw it, and was considerate enough to fix it.

I realize that this topic doesn't come close to the level of listing bugs or balancing powers/classes, etc., but everyone tends to multitask, and sometimes it's nice to have a quick task to work on and fix for that 'success' of the day. If we create a list, it might make it even more likely to happen.

Soooo. . . Which tooltip would you consider the 'most out of date/inaccurate' and what do you suggest for the new text?

Comments

• Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Most of them? Cryptic live up to their name when it comes to tooltips. They tend to be as vague as possible, for what reason I do not know but is is super-annoying when a tooltip says "you have a chance" without telling you what that chance is. It would be nice to have accurate tooltips that actually tell you something.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    linoge63linoge63 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 373 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

Most of them? Cryptic live up to their name when it comes to tooltips. They tend to be as vague as possible, for what reason I do not know but is is super-annoying when a tooltip says "you have a chance" without telling you what that chance is. It would be nice to have accurate tooltips that actually tell you something.

That chance value should read...you have a chance as a snowball in hell to _____ P

• Options
    kievitzkievitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 260 Arc User
    Almost all tool tips are poorly implemented, but yes those concerning powers, feats and others concerning essential game/class mechanics
  • Options
    yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    never forget the tooltips that do not mention limits per day / account / char etc *cough* dragon hoard *cough*.
  • Options
    phoenix1021phoenix1021 Member Posts: 532 Arc User
    Powers and feats that do not work as the description says are the worst because retraining isn't free in this game.
    There's so many, it's hard to list them all. Some have vague descriptions, others are bugged.
    Many multi-hit powers have different damage percentages with every hit (e.g. Eldritch Blast), making the damage displayed look too low or too high.
    Also companion skills like Expert Leader etc. These are so incredibly vague.