test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing Neverwinter is starting to feel like a job

helix#4749 helix Member Posts: 62 Arc User
At first its fun, like "finally I am working!" But, after awhile it becomes a constant grind, little return, dead end feeling. It's especially that when trying to run and advance a guild. Maze Engine better make some positive changes or there may be another round of players heading for the exits.

=(

Comments

• helix#4749 helix Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Oh yeah. Constant complaining to management but nothing ever done about it.
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

At first its fun, like "finally I am working!" But, after awhile it becomes a constant grind, little return, dead end feeling. It's especially that when trying to run and advance a guild. Maze Engine better make some positive changes or there may be another round of players heading for the exits.

=(

Well they're reducing certain stronghold costs, some by a lot, and in return they're substantially upping the cost of a BiS mount.
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    MMOs can be defined as "Grind-centric games". That's just the way it is. Take a break if it becomes too much. I did (for 6 months) and while I hate playing catchup, it has done wonders for my enjoyment - NW is fun again.
    I aim to misbehave
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Its not that bad , other then RP for artifact weapons, that is just a little over the top, there is some relief I think coming next mod though.

The other issue is pvp, there just isnt enough players to play to queue under 3k.. which leaves A LARGISH gap between 2k -3kish players and even then... a 2k player is getting wiped by a 2.7kish player.

I dont know how to fix that other then.

A. make a non gear centric pvp queue system
    B. make a unlimited pvp queue.

A. rewards seals, banners, glory and AD as currently designed.
    B. doubles the AD reward, and starts at 3k entry (at present) to enter.

There is no class balance that can be done , to make a 2.1k player be able to pvp with a 3.2k i level player.

• santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Its not that bad , other then RP for artifact weapons, that is just a little over the top, there is some relief I think coming next mod though.

The other issue is pvp, there just isnt enough players to play to queue under 3k.. which leaves A LARGISH gap between 2k -3kish players and even then... a 2k player is getting wiped by a 2.7kish player.

There is no class balance that can be done , to make a 2.1k player be able to pvp with a 3.2k i level player.

Agreed. And even above 3K, there are few viable builds due to tenacity and SH boons. Anyone that is winning almost assuredly will have darks (or draconic, arpen-based) in offense and a wheel as their primary artifact (by and large). And they better be guilded.

There is no "bowling league" level of PVP anymore.
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

This is a trivially easy thing to accomplish. Just cap and scale players to a common range. They just don't want to do it because the whales will be pissed that their massive advantage is rendered into a small advantage, and will hate how a tactically savvy set of former weaklings are now reasonable competition for their pre-made uber team.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Yep.
    Just play the game as long as you have fun. When the fun is gone, take a break from playing, or play something else.

Or just reduce your time in game to the absolute minimum:
    + grab your ViP lockbox key,
    + invoke,
    + log out and call it a day.

And while it looks like they gain more players with every new module, it also starts to feel like they are losing more players shortly after a new module too.
    It's a constant up and down...
    But at some point, some players might start to ask themself, why even bother returning with a new module... and then what?
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

=(

I had this feeling back in 2014, and it resulted in me feeling completely burned out....eventually I took a year-long break from the game, and when I came back, I changed my focus.

I realized I don't have to do "everything". ...I do only what I enjoy and what I feel like doing on any particular day. I don't grind anything just to get what I need for a minuscule upgrade to my gear.

It is a game. It is supposed to be fun. It it feels like a job, maybe it is time to step back and reconsider things.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Helps if you set yourself a single reasonable goal per day/week. Eg.

Earn 100k ad. Then stop playing.

Level artifact X no. of levels. Then stop.

Play Y no. of pvp matches... etc.

If you look at the global difference between your character and the BiS guy, you'll just get overwhelmed by the grind.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,376 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

Helps if you set yourself a single reasonable goal per day/week. Eg.

Earn 100k ad. Then stop playing.

Level artifact X no. of levels. Then stop.

Play Y no. of pvp matches... etc.

If you look at the global difference between your character and the BiS guy, you'll just get overwhelmed by the grind.

That makes it even more sounds like a job. :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    I quit this job after MOD 6. ;)
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Lol. Yeah I suppose it does.

I'm just weird I guess, all my goals revolve around pvp gear, but if I'm honest, I spend like only 5% of my time actually in pvp dom, and all the broken stuff and crappy matchmaking make all my amazing gear useless anyway most of the time.

Hmm. Note to self: get a life.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    Take a break, "benefit" of F2P you can leave and come back anytime. I put benefit in quotes cause youll come back in THIS game 50 million RP points behind.

Play something real casual.

Go outside, it's almost summer time. March madness is upon us. I think someone asked in a different thread where Ive been. Ive been watching football and basketball.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

As with PvP, they prefer the few big spenders over the many with smaller wallets. Anyone with a small degree of knowledge on economics and money-making knows the flaw in that plan: Unless you offer something extremely unique and desirable like say the equivalent of a Ferrari and keep innovating on that product, you will lose interest.

+1
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    Starting to...? It's been more of a chore than anything since before the beginning of the year.

I'm finding it easier and easier to spend less time in game - I know I'm literally missing out on nothing...

and until mod 9 it will stay that way. I remember before mod 8 a lot of people were saying that if it (mod 8) wasn't great they'd bail. I'm hearing it again now pre-mod 9. That's a pretty cr***y pattern. Eventually I suspect I'll realize this is just a colossal waste of time and move on.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    Why all of you typing here ?! Back into the game ! No internet surfing on the job !!!
    No work ethic at all this days.
  • willson#2163 willson Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited March 2016

=(

indeed. I can't wait for SH to finish.
    As a leader I already have to manage daily DF, HE runs, pvp domination and doing campaign dailies. Now I have to manage to do Tiamat runs.
    Just for the Stronghold.
    I didn't care about new instances in epic forms but I screamed in joy for the SH cost reduction.

Can't wait to finish Stronghold and only play for myself for a change.
    If ever will be an extension on Stronghold or something similar community campaign I will be gone on the first patch on preview...
    They won't get me into this twice.

• wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    well, good news, they dont fire you in this game.

=(

As a leader I already have to manage daily DF, HE runs, pvp domination and doing campaign dailies. Now I have to manage to do Tiamat runs.
    Just for the Stronghold.
    I didn't care about new instances in epic forms but I screamed in joy for the SH cost reduction.

If ever will be an extension on Stronghold or something similar community campaign I will be gone on the first patch on preview...

They will have more community campaign and that could even happen before SH is done. Mark my words. :)
    Food for thought. If SH is done, nothing to be built and the coffer is filled, how can you get guild mark?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

=(

Just for the Stronghold.

They will have more community campaign and that could even happen before SH is done. Mark my words. :)
    Food for thought. If SH is done, nothing to be built and the coffer is filled, how can you get guild mark?
    Easy! temporary join my guild and donate everything ! ;p
    micky1p00 said:

=(

Just for the Stronghold.

Easy! temporary join my guild and donate everything ! ;p
    What if your guild also max out? I guess we all can create an alt guild and start from scratch.
  • willson#2163 willson Member Posts: 87 Arc User

Yeah I heard that but I will be a goner that time!

• tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    You can build a silly building and destroy it.
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    best job I ever had
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    simple, they need to add "Alliances", just like they used in Star trek online with fleets (guilds)/admirality (hosts of guilds work together for common cause).
    basically large fleets to support smaller guilds.
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    SH grind definitely feels like work to me. Yet I still go and do it. :(
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!