test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

cleric meta

janiandroll91janiandroll91 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited February 2016 in The Temple
Hello. I need help about the cleric. Last few hours i read the class forum,but it was a waste of time. I mean there was few build,(and lot of question about bugfixes,great sign) but none answered my question. What is the devoted clerics task?
I read about apcleric,debuff/buff cleric. I know what this mean in build-wise,but what is the current "meta"?
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    There is no meta for the dc. It's the most flexible class in the game.

In PVE:

Low ilvl pallys will look for ap haste cleric so they can keep perma-bubble up and shield the entire party from damage. Without perma-bubble pally, groups will be looking for big heals. Higher dps/ilvl groups will be looking for clerics that buff/debuff. Cleric can also be capable dpsrs (2nd to 3rd tier dps but still quite capable).

In PVP:

Top tier pvp clerics are faithful immortals that almost never die.

The meta for cleric is to play the role you like either to suit your team (ex. if you know your going to be pve and party with low ilvls then haste is probably the best for you) or to build for the play style you enjoy and then find teams that need that play style.

First you have to decide what you want to do/be for the immediate future. Obviously you can change later if your change your mind. In general. Faithful is good for when you are low ilvl and you need big heals to carry the group (no bubble palys), low to mid ilvl haste virtuous is usually better as you can heal adequately with HOTs, Righteous is a lot easier for higher ilvls because its easier to keep debuffs up (higher crit) and if your not healing people tend to look a little closer at your contribution on the damage chart (the damage chart does not indicate contribution but many un-knowledgeable people pay attention to it).

fyi, every class forum has a bug list. That's not unique to the dc
  • Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    I will make things simpler for you. First we answer a few questions but you dont have to tell us your answer, you will know which path you are going with after answering. Before you want to be a good DC player, did you lvl a DC to 70? If yes, then we start.

1. Who are you playing with? Their main role and il or skill level? Constant premade or pug?
    2. Ever tried NW grinding? Is it hard for you to grind? Want to speed all grinding as fast as possible?
    3. Are you always meet the situation your team keep dying? Is it your problem or theirs? How to solve it?
    4. Are you new to this game and have no knowledge on dungeons, skirmish, pvp? Need better and safer way to slowly explore?
    5. What are you going to do when you log in NW? Just dailies or heavy grind on boons and campaigns?
    6. What is your expectation on your DC? The always living one? Ultimate buffing machine? Heal/Dps/Tank all in one wannabe?
    7. What is your playstyle? Frontline fighter? Backline caster? Or just lazy to move?
    8. How much you are going to invest on your DC, time and AD/Zen wise?
    9. Do you love this class and eager to be the best DC in NW?

Welcome to DC world, the only class that can tank, dps, heal at the same time. Your answers to the question above will give you a clear impression of what kind of DC you are making. Have fun.
  • Options
    Oh,sorry.No i don't have a lvl 70 clreric,i just reintalled the game,maybe 2 weaks age,since i played 1 hour with a fresh cleric and it bringed back the memory,about my chaotic evil,sword and shield cleric/blackguard in nwnights,but now i'm ready to play :)
    Only pve group content,the pvp just isn't my thing in this game.
    This "The meta for cleric is to play the role you like either to suit your team" is seen a bit impossible after all you just told 3 route,and if i know well,there is no double "talent-tree",so you can't swap between haste and buff cleric.
    So what you suggest,i can play solo with healer build,thats not the issue,i just want be usefull,ok not completly useless :)
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    jazzfong said:

I will make things simpler for you. First we answer a few questions but you dont have to tell us your answer, you will know which path you are going with after answering. Before you want to be a good DC player, did you lvl a DC to 70? If yes, then we start.

1. Who are you playing with? Their main role and il or skill level? Constant premade or pug?
    2. Ever tried NW grinding? Is it hard for you to grind? Want to speed all grinding as fast as possible?
    3. Are you always meet the situation your team keep dying? Is it your problem or theirs? How to solve it?
    4. Are you new to this game and have no knowledge on dungeons, skirmish, pvp? Need better and safer way to slowly explore?
    5. What are you going to do when you log in NW? Just dailies or heavy grind on boons and campaigns?
    6. What is your expectation on your DC? The always living one? Ultimate buffing machine? Heal/Dps/Tank all in one wannabe?
    7. What is your playstyle? Frontline fighter? Backline caster? Or just lazy to move?
    8. How much you are going to invest on your DC, time and AD/Zen wise?
    9. Do you love this class and eager to be the best DC in NW?

Welcome to DC world, the only class that can tank, dps, heal at the same time. Your answers to the question above will give you a clear impression of what kind of DC you are making. Have fun.

Correct.
    I'm thinking about it and I come to the conclusion that the DC is complex enough that it should deserve a dedicated project.
    There is no "The Build" for the DC: there are strategies and setup targeting different needs.
    The following is a high level picture (illustrative only and without being 100% accurate), the elements of which should be detailed further:

That's why it's difficult to understand how the cleric works. After answering the questions from @jazzfong, you should go through some boxes and define your long term goals.
    Be aware that switching between builds or boxes can be very expensive (time/money). In particular a "good for everything" approach should be avoided.
    My case:
    Levelling: long time ago -> NA
    Mid range: full virtuous
    Specialization: virtuous (main) + righteous. Power buff, protection, (over) healing and AP Gain. No dps -> not very good for solo as an example.

Post edited by rapo973 on

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited February 2016

This "The meta for cleric is to play the role you like either to suit your team" is seen a bit impossible after all you just told 3 route,and if i know well,there is no double "talent-tree",so you can't swap between haste and buff cleric.

You've to chose where you want to focus more: buff and haste, both can be done at the same time, but with a different degree of effectiveness (and it's not just Gift of Haste). Up to you to select your level.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    In other words, level your DC in full righteous till u reach lvl 70. That is the most important thing you have to do now. Then only u start to see what u prefer and how to adjust and adapt to do so.
  • Options
    Thanks,than i will start leveling a righteous.Just 1 more question. With ad feat respec,i can change paragon path,or this is a choice for life? :)
  • Options
    All experienced DC player had at least spent a few millions AD on respec. You will experience this later. The advancement of DC is heavily depending on respec token, where u min-max and alter your character based on the situation u met.
  • Options

Thanks,than i will start leveling a righteous.Just 1 more question. With ad feat respec,i can change paragon path,or this is a choice for life? :)

anything can be changed on a character except class. Somethings are just way more expensive than others. For instance race/initial stat roll/appearance are very expensive to change. Feats/powers are relatively cheap. Some things like guild boons for stats can be changed for free outside of combat. I always recommend taking your time on the initial race, roll, and appearance to make sure your happy with it as its the most expensive to change. These choices aren't critical (your not going to hit end game and find that you can't do anything because you picked the wrong race). They may provide some benefit but the differences are marginal and its much more important that you enjoy your selection
  • Options
    mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    Go with the build that is best for your playstyle. Major changes are coming to the class and some of the popular items for it, probably between Mod 9 and 10. At this point its only rumor, nothing official.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • Options
    yeah all we know is that its on a list (with several other classes) for class balancing. Who knows what those changes will be. The immortal faithful dcs get a lot of hate in the pvp community yet the righteous dcs under perform in the pvp circuit (atleast when you compare to similar ilvl of most every class). I'm sure someone will argue that point but with cc bing a nuisance and righteous relying on DOT effects instead of spike damage its really a tough landscape for righteous DCs.

I haven't heard any hate toward DCs on the PVE landscape. Nothing in regards to DCs under or over performing in PVE. So I think DCs are in a good spot for PVE atm (even though we have several broken mechanics as do other classes).

DC is definitely not in the same realm of in balance was GWF in PVE and OPs anywhere.
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    My Virtuous cleric did some CN last weekend on test. It was quite simple and I saw more necessity for healing. Also there was some 800k burst damage in combat logs of one of players. Virtuous/Faithful are going to have some purpose for moment.

But soon enough it will be clear if new self-healing-on-deflect mechanics (from new mount system) is effective and becomes new meta.
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    putzboy78 said:

yeah all we know is that its on a list (with several other classes) for class balancing. Who knows what those changes will be. The immortal faithful dcs get a lot of hate in the pvp community yet the righteous dcs under perform in the pvp circuit (atleast when you compare to similar ilvl of most every class). I'm sure someone will argue that point but with cc bing a nuisance and righteous relying on DOT effects instead of spike damage its really a tough landscape for righteous DCs.

I haven't heard any hate toward DCs on the PVE landscape. Nothing in regards to DCs under or over performing in PVE. So I think DCs are in a good spot for PVE atm (even though we have several broken mechanics as do other classes).

DC is definitely not in the same realm of in balance was GWF in PVE and OPs anywhere.

condemned gaze-bear your sins debuff from power of the sun- astral shield is same for all clerics and the buff encounters. you burn foes and dodging and in hard moments you stand in your astral shield( empowered always). IN same Item level as you said you can do to enemy cleric what he cant do kill him or debuff him extremely bad so your teamate will kill him.