test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How many fast-attack companions are there in the game?

ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
edited February 2016 in PvE Discussion
So far, I have learned that the following companions are being used together with bonding runestones because of their fast attack speeds: Are there other companions whose attack speeds are fast, too?

== Edit ==
Mercenary has been added according to players' suggestions.
Post edited by ianthewizard2012 on

Comments

• someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Question is: how many with 2 or 3 offense slots and/or with AoE?
    • Acolyte of Kelemvor
    • Air Archon
    • Blink Dog
    • Dancing Blade
    • Dragonborn Brawler
    • Fire Archon
    • Lightfoot Thief
    • Mystic Phoera
    • Pseudodragon
    • Renegade Illusionist
    • Shadow Demon
    • Sprite
    • Sylph
    • Tomb Spider
    • Will-O'-Wisp
    • Young Yeti
    • Zhentarim Warlock
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    How good are the sylph and dancing blade for purpose of bonding runestones? And do you use them on just the summoned companion? Currently I"m still with ioun. I used to use the sylph, but she was always drawing in mobs for me to kill!
    I recommend you to try Air Archon as main pet (500k AD for epic version with cute bonus for DPS).

Dancing Blade is good as main if you already full of cool companion active bonuses and you run crit build.
    But it's not better than Air Archon and pricey 300k+500k upg to epic version (for VIP).

I run Sylph coz i'm melee and she's cute bonus (but 50' too big range to utilize bonding runestones glitch).
    Other 4 are: Dancing Blade, Erinyes of Belial, Air Archon, Earth Archon (better than Fire Archon for me).
    Cantankerous Mage active bonus over Dancing Blade but soo expensive.

If you have R10s+ bonding runestones it's time to think about summoned (non augment) pet.
    Some advice on bonding runestones
    What's the best companion for dps?
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
    edited February 2016
    Hmm.... Maybe time to start refining some new stones.
  • zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    Mercenary (drow one), blink dog (best one of rly cheap ones) yeti (second to best from cheap ones), demon.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    Drow Mercenary really needs to be added to the list... Same abilities as Lightfoot Thief, but w/3x Offensive Slots. ;)

It's passive is pretty meh though!
    va8Ru.gif
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Drow Mercenary really needs to be added to the list... Same abilities as Lightfoot Thief, but w/3x Offensive Slots. ;)

It's passive is pretty meh though!

The Drow Mercenary does have the slight drawback of being virtually unobtainable though, as it has only been given away as competition prizes. I got mine from one run on these forums. But I have to admit that 'Free' makes it a really good addition to my collection :) My personal preferences though are the Sylph and Zentarim Warlock. Not necessarily the best in terms of stats and so forth but definitely my favourites to have around in actual game play due to their accompanying animations.

• ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited February 2016

I recommend you to try Air Archon as main pet (500k AD for epic version with cute bonus for DPS).

Dancing Blade is good as main if you already full of cool companion active bonuses and you run crit build.
    But it's not better than Air Archon and pricey 300k+500k upg to epic version (for VIP).

I run Sylph coz i'm melee and she's cute bonus (but 50' too big range to utilize bonding runestones glitch).
    Other 4 are: Dancing Blade, Erinyes of Belial, Air Archon, Earth Archon (better than Fire Archon for me).
    Cantankerous Mage active bonus over Dancing Blade but soo expensive.

If you have R10s+ bonding runestones it's time to think about summoned (non augment) pet.
    Some advice on bonding runestones
    What's the best companion for dps?

I was thinking about Air Archon, too, because I see the enemy version (in Spinward Rise) can do multiple stabs continuously. Is the companion version has that continuous stabs, too?

Btw, why is Sylph used by some players? Her attacks aren't as fast as Dancing Blade's, and she only has two offense slots.
    Post edited by ianthewizard2012 on
    She's cute and can dance. Also Sylph has dots.
    Some folks like 50% Control Resistance.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User

She's cute and can dance. Also Sylph has dots.
    Some folks like 50% Control Resistance.

Does each dot has a chance to proc bonding runestons?
  • malabogpigfeedermalabogpigfeeder Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Intelect devourer attacks reasonably fast and keeps some distance.
    I would appreciate you to not read my signature, now that you did, dont do it again.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    edited February 2016

<

Btw, why is Sylph used by some players? Her attacks aren't as fast as Dancing Blade's, and she only has two offense slots.

It's not all about which companion provides the best stats and/or does the most damage. The Sylph is just a great companion to have on screen when you are out adventuring. As someonedies has said, she is cute so provides a fun little distraction when you are not fighting. You can watch her go through her routines while sorting out your inventory and other routine, boring tasks that take up so much time in this game these days. So partly, it is a QoL thing. Also, I do find her 50% Control Resistance active bonus to be quite useful. I also have a Will o Wisp as an active companion which combined with some other features gives me around 90% Control Resist. Comes in handy when Dragon's roar at you in places like Tiamat or when you get frozen at inconvenient moments. She is also an excellent companion to take into the SCA Epic dungeons on the Gateway, which is a good way to pick up companion specific gear, e.g. Loyal Avenger Rings, for free.

She does have two downsides. First, you can only get her if you buy the Feywild Pack in the Zen Store so not a cheap purchase. Though this is an account wide item so every character can have one and it also includes an account wide Unicorn Epic mount and unlocks the Moon Elf Race. The other one is that the line she speaks when you select her in the Epic dungeons does get pretty irritating after a while :)

My reason for picking a Zentarim Warlock for my other character is for variety and because her fighting animations are pretty cool :) It all helps to bring a little entertainment to my gameplay, something which is sadly lacking in the content that has been added of late.

Post edited by qexotic on
    What about Aranea? Three offense slots....
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Aranea

Ur answer.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

I see. Cooldown too long.
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    The question should have been, How many "RANGED" fast attacking companions is it in the game?
    Reason I say this is there are currently only three that can proc the bonding stones back to back keeping bonding stone's buff up without dying are as the following.

Zhentarim Warlock (most used now, since some individuals let the secret out now)
    Dueragar Theurge (Most rare companion and procs just as much as the Zhentarim Warlock)
    Kenku (Annoying as hell, but they proc the stones

These three I know for a fact will not be dying at every attack in epic dungeons and they proc the bonding stones on a constant basis, keeping up the power buff.

Now, I don't think they will nerf the speed, attacks and procs for Bonding Runes stones for these companions , so this is why I am putting them up there.

I have been using Zhentarim Warlock, when Temptation was very viable in PvE and PvP (some say over performing), and have use the other two companions on other toons.

I don't Youtube bugs, or Overpowered companions like a lot of people do within game, but just letting you know as you can test this for yourself.

-Kymos
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • annihilumannihilum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User

So far, I have learned that the following companions are being used together with bonding runestones because of their fast attack speeds:

Are there other companions whose attack speeds are fast, too?

== Edit ==
    Mercenary has been added according to players' suggestions.
    Try Phoera, a companion with aura of fire that tics every second and seems that do not have limit on number of enemies affected. Also has 3 offense slots. Price is really good because is epic. ;)
    --
    I don't mind on control.
    I don't main on damage.
    I only mind on FUN.
    I have reached higher state of FUNNESS!
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    How fast does an attack need to be on a pet to make bonding runestones work adequately?​​
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

How fast does an attack need to be on a pet to make bonding runestones work adequately?​​

You need the bonding runestones with high percentage of activation;
    So rank 10s+.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
    Was running with sylph for 1h in in DR, gotta say she is pretty good for bonding procing in normal zones. i will check her at some point in t1/t2, but for now i dont have patience for that. She is close to top procing companions, but also account wide purple one, which opens new possibilities.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    gomok72 said:

The question should have been, How many "RANGED" fast attacking companions is it in the game?
    Reason I say this is there are currently only three that can proc the bonding stones back to back keeping bonding stone's buff up without dying are as the following.

Zhentarim Warlock (most used now, since some individuals let the secret out now)
    Dueragar Theurge (Most rare companion and procs just as much as the Zhentarim Warlock)
    Kenku (Annoying as hell, but they proc the stones

These three I know for a fact will not be dying at every attack in epic dungeons and they proc the bonding stones on a constant basis, keeping up the power buff.

Now, I don't think they will nerf the speed, attacks and procs for Bonding Runes stones for these companions , so this is why I am putting them up there.

I have been using Zhentarim Warlock, when Temptation was very viable in PvE and PvP (some say over performing), and have use the other two companions on other toons.

I don't Youtube bugs, or Overpowered companions like a lot of people do within game, but just letting you know as you can test this for yourself.

-Kymos

Dying is good because it resets the cooldown on your runestones. That's why Lightfoot Thief/Mercenary are so good for boss fights.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
    Does the pet need to be Legendary to increase proc-cing? Or does companion level not particulary matter?
  • flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    I just want to add that the 100% up time of bonding stone is just a myth. Yes, let's assume you have a companion can get you 3 stacks companion gift (CG) with no time. There are two typical situation that you will not have the max stacks. The mobs can not be killed in 20 seconds, and mostly in boss fight you will have much longer fighting time. The second case, you kill a group of mobs too fast. And when you reach the second group of mobs, the CG is on cool down. Only in one case, you will have an optimal stacks. Kill a group of mobs within 20 seconds and when you reach next mobs, CG is not on cd.

It is pretty clear the optimal point is not a stable point. You do more dps and you move fast, you get into CD of CG. You do low dps and you kill too slow you get into CD of CG. Well we might just do daily with all trash mobs. Or we want to kill a dragon with a much longer fight time. So no 100% uptime but you could try to maximize the uptime CG in different situations.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper