test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Coming back to the game, any suggestions?

chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
Okay so I am thinking about coming back to the game. Looks like a lot has changed, including the forums.
I haven't played the game since some time in Mod 1 or 2, I forget. I deleted my characters so I would have to remake my characters from scratch, which is fine. Which is a good class to play now? Formerly I played TR, didn't really like it, then I played CW and GWF, I liked those quite a bit. Are they still good characters to play? I guess there is a Paladin now, is that just a glorified tank? I never enjoyed playing a tank.

Did they really take away Castle Never and are now bringing it back? Man I really liked that dungeon. How is it now?

Anyway, is it still a good game to play?

Comments

• Options
    ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    The game play isnt bad. But business decisions made by cryptic have driven a good deal of the player base away. Since your coming back and not starting from scratch it will be easier on you then it will be on people just starting out.

My suggestion, do not spend large amounts of your money in game to catch up. Take your time and get a feel for how things are. PvP is mostly dead, there is a huge pay wall between the haves and have nots in the game. And because of that there is a lot, and I mean A LOT of bad game play going on. People leaving encounters right off the bat because they wont get the max reward or because the team is not all Best in slot players. There is a ton of things to do, but nobody is doing them, GG doesnt pop nearly as often as it should. Your biggest focus of people in the game will probably be in the Dread Ring or the Well of Dragons doing the epic demon heroic encounters.

Of course this is all level 70 stuff I am talking about. If your characters are level 60 or below you can solo the content to slowly grind your way to 70. But then you enter the sinking boat that I've listed above. The grind from 60 to 70 is quicker then it was when the level raise first came into play. But it's not nearly as fast as it should be. Your going to be spending a lot of time doing the same 8 to 10 missions over and over again to get enough experience to move on to the next zone.
  • Options
    rexfire91rexfire91 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 56 Arc User
    Welcome back.

To answer your question about Paladins they can either be tanks or healers (depending on paragon path) and they bring an alternate flavor to healing/tanking that's different to DCs and GFs. CW and GWF are still viable classes to play. I've been playing CW since mod 3 and it's still fun although we don't Dps quite as much as we used to.

I second ogarious. Play the game at your leisure, then see if it's worth your money. Leveling form 60 to 70 is a pain but there are 2x XP events about once a month nowadays and when Mod 9 arrives there will be a new lvl 60 campaign to lessen the grind to 70.

Gameplay is still fun but get used to finding bugs. Whatever class you pick it may be worth your while do a little research in existing bugs. (Example, many class powers become bugged when they reach Rank 4. watch out for that.)
  • Options
    theoddis1theoddis1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 353 Arc User
    best suggestion ... dont come back unless you like pointless repetitive grind
  • Options
    westsideryderzwestsideryderz Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    There is lack of end game content and our Co wards have been removed from the trade bar store. I would go play something else...
  • Options
    melodicahmelodicah Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Best answer to your question is don't bother -- unless you want an endless grind and progression stuck behind a wall of $$ that you will have to fork out.
  • Options
    omgudied2omgudied2 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    and let me tell you about $$ wall I am a wallet player because I love DD! and I fork out $$$$ just to have one 4k and two 3k players (and twelve 60's) in just the last year I spent prob $2k! I spend anywhere from $100 to $150 a month easy...
    A LONG TIME AGO... YADA YADA YADA DARTH VADER... JEDI
  • Options
    marhabumarhabu Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    omgudied2 said:

and let me tell you about $$ wall I am a wallet player because I love DD! and I fork out $$$$ just to have one 4k and two 3k players (and twelve 60's) in just the last year I spent prob $2k! I spend anywhere from $100 to $150 a month easy...

Facepalm!....
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    omgudied2 said:

Cryptic wants to thank you for your support.

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    chemjeff said:

Okay so I am thinking about coming back to the game. Looks like a lot has changed, including the forums.
    I haven't played the game since some time in Mod 1 or 2, I forget. I deleted my characters so I would have to remake my characters from scratch, which is fine. Which is a good class to play now? Formerly I played TR, didn't really like it, then I played CW and GWF, I liked those quite a bit. Are they still good characters to play? I guess there is a Paladin now, is that just a glorified tank? I never enjoyed playing a tank.

Did they really take away Castle Never and are now bringing it back? Man I really liked that dungeon. How is it now?

Anyway, is it still a good game to play?

Look at it like this: What do YOU want out of the game? What aspects of a game do YOU find enjoyable? Give us an idea of what things you find fun, and we can better answer your question(s).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    grabmooregrabmoore Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    chemjeff said:

How is it now?

Run! Run for your life!

@grabmoore

Heroes of Darkness

Retired since 02/15
    My opinions are my own. Please do not judge my friends nor guild for my statements.