test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Equation for Control Duration?

thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
edited January 2016 in The Library
Something I have recently started looking into is how control duration effects the damage you deal and I realised that I actually have no idea what formula drives control duration. The reason I am interested in this is because chilling presence boosts your damage by 96% when targets are frozen and by 48% when they are not, so it stands to reason that control duration definitely plays a role in working out the damage dealt. There are obviously variables like control resistance and control bonus, but because unlike damage the duration of a control is not directly recorded in the combat log, it is nightmarishly difficult to test as you have to time your control effects and somehow get precise results to even begin checking if the formula you are using to approximate it is correct.
Post edited by thefabricant on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    This is something that also came to my mind recently. A defensive/utility mechanic that provides offense, it's interesting. Too bad I'm too bad at math to try and take on this on my own.
  • Options
    mayday#2798 mayday Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    You are interested in Freeze duration, yes?
    I think that frozen targets will unfreez after they take some DMG = k*(weapon damage), but it is only a theory, and that there is a standart Freeze duration if target takes no damage. Anyway, if this theory is right (tooltip say that targets will unfreeze after they take some DMG), then, it does not matter how long is the default time, but only how much dmg will break the ice and unfreeze the target.
    And i think it is possible to test in in this way:
    1. freeze the target and measure the default time.
    2. freeze the target again and deal as much DMG as you can with an at-will, while timing to be sure that ice break earlier.
    3. freeze the target again and burst it with icy knife + desintegrate + at-wills while timing.

if by dealing DMG we break ice faster then the theory is right, if not... also, it is possible that a single CW will be unable to unfreeze the target 'cause of DMG lack.

Now, if the theory is right, we will need a lot of ACT runs to understant what DMG shoul be dealt to break the ice and unfreeze the target.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Ok, so from testing I have discovered the following:
    1) Dummies have control resistance. This can be established by firstly freezing the dummies in trade of blades and then secondly by freezing the dummies in dread ring. It seems control resistance scales with the level of the monsters.
    2) No CW encounter powers with control effects lists its base duration, this makes it impossible to know how long it should be, assuming the monster had no control resistance at all.
    3) It seems that things that provide a control bonus do not extend the duration of controls but instead reduce the effectiveness of control resistance (sort of like armour penetration reduces defense).

I cannot provide exact numbers, due to point number 2.
  • Options
    mayday#2798 mayday Member Posts: 100 Arc User

Ok, so from testing I have discovered the following:
    1) Dummies have control resistance. This can be established by firstly freezing the dummies in trade of blades and then secondly by freezing the dummies in dread ring. It seems control resistance scales with the level of the monsters.
    2) No CW encounter powers with control effects lists its base duration, this makes it impossible to know how long it should be, assuming the monster had no control resistance at all.
    3) It seems that things that provide a control bonus do not extend the duration of controls but instead reduce the effectiveness of control resistance (sort of like armour penetration reduces defense).

I cannot provide exact numbers, due to point number 2.

Sounds interesting. The same can be noticed with entangling force: lvl 7-10 monster stay entangled for a longer duration (~twice) then lvl 40-45 mobs.
  • Options
    dorana#4418 dorana Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I've been trying too look into the duration of Chill stacks, but it seems the stacks time out a bit to fast on certain mobs, thus the likelyhood of controll resistance, some targets seems to gave their stacks removes within the time it takes for me to cast a high damage spell.

Example
    Chilling cloud stacking up to max stacks, hitting TAB to cash a chill strike but before the chills trike hits the chill counters are removd from my target.

Note that I'm currently level 27 and thus far I have placed most of my points in effects that effect controll time.