test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Adding more to the wishlist...

instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
Here's another bullet for my wishlist: 3-dimensional interior maps (yeah.. I have this whole 3-D thing going on).

See.. I like "flow". I like going up and down stairs. I like standing in a room that's 20' higher than the room beneath it, and KNOWING that it's higher up.

Yes, I know it's *possible* to to this, using the Room Builder squares and "Details"... but it honestly requires more work than it's worth... and OMG complicated. In a test dungeon that I spent about a week toying around with, I was able to accomplish this goal. However, the only thing I could see on the map were the dungeon floors that I placed at Y=0. I was able to create 4 separate levels that a player could go through in one fluid motion, instead of stopping at every "staircase" to "Press F to go up the steps" sparkly invisible wall.

If we could add elevation to room pieces, that would make life so much more easier, and be much more forgiving on the Details Budget.

In the same vein of thought, being able to create a block our own "assets" to be able to re-use in other quests that we build (for example, a spiral staircase) as well as custom costumes... that would be simply amazing as well... especially if we could share those assets with other Authors.

I would appreciate it if we could keep the negativity to a minimum in this thread. Yes, I know it'll probably never happen, and yes I know that there's already a list of a zillion bugs that haven't even been looked at, and yes, I know no one is playing Foundries (ad nauseum), but I thought I'd throw this out there.
header.png
"...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79

Comments

• reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    Love those ideas too. I want to build a house with lots of stairs and its hard for now to do it.
    Id love to be able to import models and textures. Id love to have all ingame armor and costumes in the foundry, all enemy models too a way to have bosses.( even if it is just to have a regular enemys health pool doubled and it being shown as boss hp.)
    To have different sized squares of different textures like grass, dirt, rock, snow, sand etc.
    Also a way to group assets together and work with them as a group.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Don't know about you guys, but these Greco-Roman columns they're using for the Gods event are sweet looking. They have 3 different heights too.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    +1 to those Doric (Ionic?) Columns! I loved that when I stood close to the speaker of Ao my camera clipped through the column, revealing.... a BUSTED UP COLUMN! So cool.

Also to @instynctive, if you use the 15degree ladder (? I think its that one) you can rotate it to any angle, and characters will 'climb' it.. You can see it in action in my Drowned Shore contest entry =D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    Thanks, @torontodave ... I do know about the ladders. :-)
    header.png
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited January 2016

+1 to those Doric (Ionic?) Columns! I loved that when I stood close to the speaker of Ao my camera clipped through the column, revealing.... a BUSTED UP COLUMN! So cool.

Also to @instynctive, if you use the 15degree ladder (? I think its that one) you can rotate it to any angle, and characters will 'climb' it.. You can see it in action in my Drowned Shore contest entry =D

Yup, I recently discovered that as well while working on a new quest. It makes climbing up to a redcap hut more elegant.

One thing I definitely would like to see is a way to change the size of a component in any of the 3 axes. That would be an absolute godsend. As for 3-dimensional rooms, I'm currently working around it by placing a huge empty cavern and building something piece-by-piece inside. It's a tedious process, but the only way to achieve the look and feel that I want.

Another thing that would make my life a lot easier would be some more "wooden" assets. Even something as simple as a small rectangular wooden section *that is opaque* (like a floor section) is hard to come by.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    +1. I've wanted to do this for so long, especially with my mazes that I enjoy to make. Having one posted on multiple levels would make it so much harder for people to figure their way out, thus making the maze a lot more challenging.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    hustin1 said:

As for 3-dimensional rooms, I'm currently working around it by placing a huge empty cavern and building something piece-by-piece inside. It's a tedious process, but the only way to achieve the look and feel that I want.

That's what I've been doing... but like I said above, the only thing I can see is the dungeon floor tiles that I placed at Y=0 (well, I actually start everything at Y=1 to control bleedthrough). I've recently started utilizing those 80' tall "partition" columns to grid things out to make it a little easier.

However, unless I'm building a "dungeon hallway", it takes no fewer than 4 assets in order to make something.. floor, walls, ceiling... that burns through the budget pretty quickly.

Perhaps a "layer" system could be utilized for this...

kreatyve said:

+1. I've wanted to do this for so long, especially with my mazes that I enjoy to make. Having one posted on multiple levels would make it so much harder for people to figure their way out, thus making the maze a lot more challenging.

Yes!

Also, having a "seamless" sort of teleporter would be so very cool... one that when someone walks through it, they are instantly teleported.. no "Press F" interaction required, no loading screen. That would make mazes super duper difficult. :-D
    header.png
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    To create big dungeons with ramps and several floors, I usually use the "exterior" sky map, then I create a black box, how? with "Depthfade Black Large 02" asset (1000x1000), then turn the "Backdrop" as "Interior Default" and voilà, you can create your dungeon.

The bottom "Depthfade Black Large 02" asset must be below the death plane, just if someone falls, death awaits. You can create some feel of "vertigo" then, but at the risk of 1 - rage - star.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.

To create big dungeons with ramps and several floors, I usually use the "exterior" sky map, then I create a black box, how? with "Depthfade Black Large 02" asset (1000x1000), then turn the "Backdrop" as "Interior Default" and voilà, you can create your dungeon.

The bottom "Depthfade Black Large 02" asset must be below the death plane, just if someone falls, death awaits. You can create some feel of "vertigo" then, but at the risk of 1 - rage - star.

I've done that as well...

Although I feel that we should have death planes at various sizes anyway.

One of the problems with this game (in general) is the lack of a "fear" factor... "If I fall off this cliff, I'll take x% damage and not die." Sorry.. that's just not realistic (okay, granted, neither are goblins or Magic Missile or whatever), but jumping/falling from great heights should result in death. Falling into lava should result in death. Falling into deep water should result in death.

While yes, it would most likely result in "1-rage-star", that's on the player, not on the Author. Players have grown so accustomed to there being absolutely NO consequences to heights or water or lava.. as an example: players should be able to fall/jump off the motes in Spinward, and plummet to their death. But, instead, there are invisible walls preventing that from happening.

Regardless... yeah.. death plane assets would be awesome. Add that to the wishlist.
    header.png
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User

Also, having a "seamless" sort of teleporter would be so very cool... one that when someone walks through it, they are instantly teleported.. no "Press F" interaction required, no loading screen. That would make mazes super duper difficult. :-D

you can do this with a place marker.. floor set to disappear when: placemarker.. you can create 'drops' =D

NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.