test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Indy Explains "Value"

indylolindylol Member Posts: 544 Arc User
Value - a fair return or equivalent in goods, services, or money for something exchanged

Value is the single most important concept when playing an Mmorpg, and NW is no exception. Now you may say to yourself "heh i know the value of items, i check the AH." This is actually great but it only quantifies a very small facet of the gem called Value. First off, everything you do in NW has Value, from every skirmish drop, to every item to you refine into your artifacts, and everything you donate to your guild's coffer. It all has Value but the key is to identify when there is profit to be made. I will start with your character and expand this into many other topics. So, you're a big and bad level 70, 2k itemlevel hypothetically, and you are starting to wonder "what next?"

I would strongly recommend starting by building personal wealth. In its current state that is largely left to salvaging drops and refining the rough AD. 36k a day may not seem like much, but this is a great starting point to begin amassing wealth. a few tips here, only salvage when you see a 2x AD event, if you cannot manage the space until the next event, salvage as you need to. also never salvage epic drops, this will apply more to established players in well off guilds, but the return of AD you get on an epic item when salvaged, is much smaller than the Surplus return you gain from dropping those epics off in your guild's coffer. Sure this may seem wasteful if you are scrounging for AD as a beginner, but in the long haul, your guild will need many many many epic items, so it turns out the blue Alliance Armor is generally the only stuff worth salvaging.

So you've been hittin ESoT and ELoL hard for a few weeks and you've built up a decent chunk of capital. Now the question is upgrade or invest? at face value, NW is a game, and its only fun when you're getting better so maybe we should buy some new enchants? Wrong. You almost threw away all that work you were salvaging for, only to take one step forward. Instead of upgrading your armor, you want to find deals on the AH. The most recent deals iv casually glanced over were Genies Gift around the price of 2.9k and Greater Marks of Potency as low as 10k. Why are these deals? and who says so? Cryptic of course. The value of these items is strongly dictated by the ADX and the Astral Bazzar + VIP12. These are constants which you can always use to base pricing estimates to see if you're getting a good deal on an item, or if it may be the off "season" to buy. Buy low and Sell high, not just with Zen in the ADX, but a variety of items which you can find in the Trade house. Also keep an eye on that calendar, this is a great place to get hints for upcoming events which, with a little research and insight, can help you buy things before others have caught on, and resell them in the first days of an event for 2x or even 3x profits in many cases.

Guild Value. this is a tricky subject because the better your character is personally, the more impact a guild will have on your character. a 2k player with 1mil AD may be able to increase all of his enchant ranks, a bunch of artifact levels, pick up a new companion, and even get a mount, whereas a truly endgame player will be looking at spending 1mill on a boost of 100-200 stats, so they may opt to spend that 1mill on their guild instead, to help unlock boons which not only help them more so than their AD alone would, but it also helps your guild. So with that in mind, the better you are, the more you will be able to help your guild with donations. If you're in that 2k to 2.5k sweet spot, you have a lot you can do for your character before you need to worry about joining an endgame guild.

Theres one final point i would like to mention on Value, and this is the "wild card" which is what makes MMOs great, and that is Rarity. So again from an entry level standpoint, your first rare item you will be hunting is most likely a Horn of Lostmauth, an artifact used by nearly every dps and due to its widespread use, its quite expensive. This is just an example of the type of loot that needs to be farmed, and in Mod 8 we will see much more of this introduced. On the other end of the rarity spectrum, you will find lock box drops like the imperial rage drake or skeleton steed, there are also unobtainable tier 1 and tier 2 pieces from Mod4/5 which are sought after by those who enjoy Vanity with their game play. All of these items will be priced at extreme amounts due to their exclusiveness and those who hold the items will dictate the price. If it is at all possible, gather up a few items you think will become "hot ticket" items once they are less available, good examples of these are Thrones, Companions, Mounts and Artifacts which come from events or limited time promotions. An item that cost you 50k one day, can easily comeback for 2m if you find the right buyer.

This is no guide, just a brief discussion on how MMO wealth and prosperity is generated and not purchased. If you have any questions, feel free to ask questions or add on. There is a lot more to this than i was willing to type initially, but if someone asks the right questions I'm always happy to elaborate more in detail.

B) LGPG Leader B)
Indy - XB1 & PS4 - GF
xeV Indy - PS4 - TR
Nde - XB1 - HR
GT: its indy time
PSN: itsindytime
Twitch: indygoinlive
The Kanye West of Neverwinter
Post edited by indylol on

Comments

• armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Thanks for the advice Indy. Only one of my characters has all bank slots open so I've taken to only keeping chest pieces for x2 salvage due to the higher value. With the next x2 AD not on the calendar yet I'll still have trouble with space with just those.

I think the hardest point for newer players is that 1.8-2.5k area as nobody wants them in a farming team yet. It means that not only do they not have a full set of T2's but also indicates they still have a way to go with their boons.

With the question of 'save or spend' I think you've hit the nail on the head with the point of 'relative value'. spending a few weeks doing 'earn, spend, earn, spend' on getting decent artifacts, rank 7's plus a basic armor & weapon ench (and T2 armor & boons) will get all the basics in place so they are in a position to start looking for farming teams - I think that's the point where your advice kicks in regarding the longer view to higher earnings.

On the subject of Guild Value, I've recently joined Cold Blooded which has defence and ArP boons and I have to say - what a difference! We are close to marketplace rank 4 and I think everyone appreciates the value of their donations.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • speedokillzspeedokillz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

...With the next x2 AD not on the calendar yet I'll still have trouble with space with just those....

I see Jan 28 - Feb 1 for 2X AD on my calendar.
  • ddem0n888ddem0n888 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    And another double AD on Feb 11th :) Just bought a couple of Runic bags at 170K AD each for more space. Hopefully they'll pay for themselves after a couple of Double AD event. And who doesn't need more space?

Great set of tips by the way.

A patient player can make a lot of money in this game. That is unfortunately, why I'm always broke :(
    Guild - Excalibur
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    ah yeah, it's amazing what you find out when you actually look lol :D
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    on the topic of bags n bank slots remember if you bought the dragon race it comes with a big bag on every character you open. so not only do you get the bank slots for that new character you also get a big bag plus the opening number of bag slots. it's actually cheaper than buying new bags. (thanks for the reminder along these lines. I've been having to salvage necklaces to make room. instead I just bought a few new character slots. Was gonna get two but clicked twice and bought 4. oops. lots of extra room that way though.

all you need to do is get your toon to level 4. basically just do the opening sequence and you get the extra space. but you want to get your alt to at least 11 too I think to get benefit of the incantation.
  • rockstargfurockstargfu Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Good advice yo!

Not alot of people get the concept of i made 1 mil how can i get more out of this?

Typical is hmm what can i buy now
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Don't forget you could get 4 buddies to start up a new Guild on an Alt, from my memory its only like 100k to open up a fair number of Guild bank slots that can be used as storage.

Edit... 48 slots for 150k AD according to the Wiki
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • indylolindylol Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    @wdj40

Keep in mind your main goal is stacking salvage to get an initial bankroll started, and those pieces are BoA which can only be stored in bags or personal banks. Seperate guilds are great for storing glyphs, BoE Armor, and refinement of all sorts.
    B) LGPG Leader B)
    Indy - XB1 & PS4 - GF
    xeV Indy - PS4 - TR
    Nde - XB1 - HR
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    indylol said:

@wdj40

Keep in mind your main goal is stacking salvage to get an initial bankroll started, and those pieces are BoA which can only be stored in bags or personal banks. Seperate guilds are great for storing glyphs, BoE Armor, and refinement of all sorts.

Yeah cool :)

Was just mentioning it as to buy a Runic bag of holding is 1600 Zen which is over 200k Zen and that's at the low amount at the moment (129 conversion), which has 36 slots. For 150k you can get 48 slots on the Alt but yes unfortunately it only stores things that are not bound :(
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • cscriv79cscriv79 Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    Unless I am mistaken previous artifacts and previous lockbox epic mounts will be available from the trade bar store when mod 8 drops on Feb 9th.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9624953-developer-blog:-improved-trade-bar-store

I am neither here nor there, for I am NevrCene

NevrCene: TR
    Melisandre: SW
    Brienne: GWF

Guild : Mystic Dawn (GH20)
  • ddem0n888ddem0n888 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    I think the Trade Bar changes will have a massive effect on the economy. I can see a lot more people converting AD to Zen to buy keys. Also I'm not sure what the rare, high end items will be after the changes. Still Legendary mounts. Looking forward to the Glorious Resurgence Lockbox.
    Guild - Excalibur
  • cscriv79cscriv79 Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    ddem0n888 said:

I think the Trade Bar changes will have a massive effect on the economy. I can see a lot more people converting AD to Zen to buy keys. Also I'm not sure what the rare, high end items will be after the changes. Still Legendary mounts. Looking forward to the Glorious Resurgence Lockbox.

According to the information only the epic mounts will be on the TB store so only place to get legendary mounts will be the lockbox or the TH.

As with the artifacts they will all be at green level but will be exactly the same as their counterparts when leveled up.

Coalescent ward for 75 bars, 5 pres wards for 5 bars not to mention a blood ruby for 60 bars and rank 7 enchants and runestones for 6 bars will all have a big impact on the market too I would think.

I am neither here nor there, for I am NevrCene

NevrCene: TR
    Melisandre: SW
    Brienne: GWF

Guild : Mystic Dawn (GH20)
  • farmerreg#0580 farmerreg Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    cscriv79 said:

Coalescent ward for 75 bars, 5 pres wards for 5 bars not to mention a blood ruby for 60 bars and rank 7 enchants and runestones for 6 bars will all have a big impact on the market too I would think.

Music to my ears...
  • indylolindylol Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    The Tradebar change will cause a shift in the economy that will make many crucial things more attainable to those willing to grind/gamble for them. I would say now look towards anything that isn't a direct byproduct from the AD > Zen > Lockboxs > Tradebars > RP chain of progression they are creating, and find another way to earn AD from things which may be undervalued now.
    B) LGPG Leader B)
    Indy - XB1 & PS4 - GF
    xeV Indy - PS4 - TR
    Nde - XB1 - HR
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    I wonder how it affected the PC market place
  • crom#2845 crom Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Good start to amassing but you left out a lot of tips and tricks that are a little less obvious...
  • zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User

I wonder how it affected the PC market place

Well on the PC,before the daily ad changes and tradebar changes(Back then ad/zen ratio was pinned at 500), coal wards were 460,000-500,000 on the AH now with the ad/zen rate at 380-390 they're less than 150k, as an example.
    The prices of enchs have sunk like a stone too. It's hard to tell on companions what's having the effect, it's probably mainly the winter festival but they're all rock bottom atm too.
  • zman81420zman81420 Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    Another huge change in game is transmute costs. We may actually be able to look original as players and not repetitive drones.
    The plummeting Superior/greater marks, enchant costs and wards is definitely playing into the hand of casual gamers. I play 6/7 hours a day I call that semi casual and I feel this is great for individual player progression. Like Indy said you have to find those item(s) which are in demand. It may be something new day to day or week to week but there is AD to be made and prices to be controlled you just have to know where to start.
    Guardian Fighter: SM Conqueror

[]Full Metal Witch[]
    4149 TiL
    Guild: (X1) The Legendary Outlaws

"The Best of the Best"
    "Nobody does it better"
    #TLO BiS
  • destrowoddestrowod Member Posts: 484 Arc User
    Im not much into the "exchange" personally. Buying zens to resell them and reselling items etc... I am more the type to buy what i need for my character and thats it... I know i am missing on stuff and value, but i dunno... i just don't feel much doing so...

At some point i know i will drop this game to play something else, no matter how fun a game it is, so my character will never be complete, only a wallet warrior can achieve that probably...

For me the keyword is a game must stay a game, when it feel like work, a chore etc, its no fun anymore.