test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need advice on coming back

henricamphenricamp Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Hello, everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but a friend and I decided to come back to the game after a year.

We didn't play for long before stopping and I had made 2 toons: a lvl 32 Guardian Fighter and a lvl 41 Hunter Ranger.

I was wondering if we'd be losing anything by picking up our characters from where they are now or if it's actually worth it to start over.

Also, I'd love some advice on the state of both classes (GF and HR) right now. I remember enjoying both classes, in spite of having a bit more fun with the HR. I've read some posts on the forums and the HR seems to be on a pretty bad shape right now. Is that really the case? I'm just a casual gamer who usually likes to try both PvE and PvP content, but focusing on PvE. Are these two classes good for these goals? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    Great Weapon Fighter and Oathbound Paladin for facerolling every content the game has to offer.
  • Options
    zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I wouldn't say facerolling,but yeah easy mode is Oathbound Paladin(Any build any gear) or a GWF(Destroyer) with some gear or a clue, if you want to take forever to level but not die while this occurs DC, if you want to die alot and plink enemies with a toothpick HR Archer
    GF which you mentioned can tank well and can do alot of damage, OP have however muscled into the tanking space so it may be harder to get a group. But overall not in a bad position right now.
    HR if you choose that class is not in a good state only trapper is considered viable right now, archers are useless and combat HR are exceded by every other close mellee class.
  • Options
    kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    zukn75 said:

if you want to take forever to level but not die while this occurs DC, if you want to die alot and plink enemies with a toothpick HR Archer

Rofl. Hunter Ranger is one of the most survivable of all the classes. Medium gear, godly dexterity, with an instant dodge.

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    instant dodges op nerf them
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    GF is still viable (and is my favourite alt to play in parties) but your going to find it hard to get party invites at low iL (i.e. what was called Gear Score) as Paladins are peoples first choice now. GF is much slower to complete dailies than say CW (my other main alt) etc. So if your the impatient type, I'd keep that in mind.

Regardless if you continue the GF, I'd spec for DPS until you have a fair amount of your Sharandar and Dread Ring boons (to reduce grind time) and then respec for tanking if that's what you want. Make sure you have Into the Fray (ITF) maxed - regardless of solo or party its probably our best encounter and many GF's always have that slotted.

* Oathbound Paladin is now is easy/fast mode with permabubble (it's so easy it makes you feel kind of tainted like your cheating or perma-glitching). However I'm not sure I'd choose OP just because of this cause surely it has to be addressed, but short term its going to be easier.

L
  • Options
    thsalespts#2226 thsalespts Member Posts: 5 New User
    I am just getting ready to start and have some similar questions.

1. What is currently the best Race, Spec Class for Tanking (minus something that will get nurfed) I am looking for long term Main tanking end game raid content.

2. I am OCD about min maxing - What race has the best passive/starting abilites for tanking? Yes I am that OCD about it lol

3. What guilds are currently raiding progression based?- I have been MTing since EQ1 (as well as raid leading) and have extensive MMO exp erience over a wide variety of games

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    1. Paladin is king of tanking, but everyone expects it to be nerfed...eventually.

2. I think your OCD will end up disappointing you here. But Dragonborn, as one of the paid races, will most likely get you what you want.

3. There is no such thing as raids or raid progression here. The best we have here is a VERY limited set of 5 man dungeons. The only other content that allows more players is not set up in a way where you can easily control the entire group. With the exception of a few encounters on the stronghold map. This game is focused strongly on small groups, this is not a game to satisfy any type of raid itch.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    > @sockmunkey said:
    > 1. Paladin is king of tanking, but everyone expects it to be nerfed...eventually.
    >
    > 2. I think your OCD will end up disappointing you here. But Dragonborn, as one of the paid races, will most likely get you what you want.
    >
    > 3. There is no such thing as raids or raid progression here. The best we have here is a VERY limited set of 5 man dungeons. The only other content that allows more players is not set up in a way where you can easily control the entire group. With the exception of a few encounters on the stronghold map. This game is focused strongly on small groups, this is not a game to satisfy any type of raid itch.

Thank you for your clear and concise answers- Is there any future for more dungeons? and are said dungeons difficult - I dont care if a "raid" is 3 people if its hard as hell and trying to get through them is a nightmare I am game.

Also where do I place points? COnstituion ?
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The game used to have a much larger number of dungeons. Most of them were removed when the game moved the level cap from 60 to 70. The powers that be promise that these removed dungeons will return..eventually. However, its been well over 9 months and we are still waiting.

Difficulty is a sore point here. The game can be either extremely difficult or extremely easy. It really comes down to gear and player skill. Currently however, the game is suffering from a power creep problem. It might take a ton of cash or time, but it is completely possible to over gear the content excessively. Currently at max gear, no dungeon is difficult by hardcore standards. The current crop of hardcore min/maxers are actually soloing group content as a means to push or illustrate the need for more difficult content.

To put it simply, the hardest dungeons have a gear requirement of Item level around 2000 to 2600. Players can cap out at well over 4000 item level. Its hard to be challenged when you over gun the content so excessively.
  • Options

> @sockmunkey said:

> 1. Paladin is king of tanking, but everyone expects it to be nerfed...eventually.

>

> 2. I think your OCD will end up disappointing you here. But Dragonborn, as one of the paid races, will most likely get you what you want.

>

> 3. There is no such thing as raids or raid progression here. The best we have here is a VERY limited set of 5 man dungeons. The only other content that allows more players is not set up in a way where you can easily control the entire group. With the exception of a few encounters on the stronghold map. This game is focused strongly on small groups, this is not a game to satisfy any type of raid itch.

Thank you for your clear and concise answers- Is there any future for more dungeons? and are said dungeons difficult - I dont care if a "raid" is 3 people if its hard as hell and trying to get through them is a nightmare I am game.

Also where do I place points? COnstituion ?

Pity you missed the start of Mod 6, if you mistimed dropping your shield you got one shotted.

Check out the Guardian Fighter and Oathbound Paladin class forums for advice on Speccing.

But for my GF I put points into Const and then Str, not 100% sure if that is the best tho.

L
  • Options
    Understood- Well going to give it a try but I see your point/dilemma.

Thanks again for a swift and spot on answer.

So do I just stack Constituion or is there another stat worthwhile *for hoping one day the content will require it lolo*
  • Options
    Figured it out Thanks again for all the advice now time to PL myself up
  • Options
    Be sure to get your 3 free pres wards from the Zen market, and look out for the free mount coming up (not sure if its any good tho)
  • Options
    tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    If you want to enjoy the game,

Whatever, go on on your character or start a new one, but just level to 60 and no more because as a new player the 60-70 sux so hard.

After getting lvl 60, just leave this game before it starts becoming a pain in the a**
  • Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    GFs can be an awesome hybrid class to play but takes a good amount of AD to make them awesome 3k+, the magic happens. GF Conq crit/aoe/dot machine. But single target dps will always suck. But not a good choice for a returning player because of the time/Ad investment.

For just a walking punching bag (tank) OPs own the tank role now 100%. Don't need a high gear score.

Best/easiest/cheapest class to play in my opinion is the GWF. Don't need a high gear score and can survive and do insane damage. I have a GWF alt and it should of been my main. They rule this mod. OPs can tank, but who needs a tank for mobs as dumb as the ones in this mod? They swing like once every minute....move. Red circle/line, don't stand in it.
    This mod is all about speed and dps. I see alot of clerics respec'ing for DPS. The seals you needed to run dungeons for drop in demogorgon now so you don't need dungeons for seals.

• Options
    tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2015

The game used to have a much larger number of dungeons. Most of them were removed when the game moved the level cap from 60 to 70. The powers that be promise that these removed dungeons will return..eventually. However, its been well over 9 months and we are still waiting.

Difficulty is a sore point here. The game can be either extremely difficult or extremely easy. It really comes down to gear and player skill. Currently however, the game is suffering from a power creep problem. It might take a ton of cash or time, but it is completely possible to over gear the content excessively. Currently at max gear, no dungeon is difficult by hardcore standards. The current crop of hardcore min/maxers are actually soloing group content as a means to push or illustrate the need for more difficult content.

To put it simply, the hardest dungeons have a gear requirement of Item level around 2000 to 2600. Players can cap out at well over 4000 item level. Its hard to be challenged when you over gun the content so excessively.

And therein is the issue for devs. If you scale the difficulty for all based on a select few with 4K then 99% of the playerbase suffers. It almost seems like they need a 3rd difficulty for the elite level characters over 3.5K because at that point you really start becoming ridiculous. A party of 3K destroys anything out right now and that is not that difficult for most players to achieve. Perhaps a Legendary difficulty mode requiring over 3K that offers different avenues of progression.... maybe not even just for the player... but for the guild maybe. Vouchers.... etc.

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User

And therein is the issue for devs. If you scale the difficulty for all based on a select few with 4K then 99% of the playerbase suffers. It almost seems like they need a 3rd difficulty for the elite level characters over 3.5K because at that point you really start becoming ridiculous. A party of 3K destroys anything out right now and that is not that difficult for most players to achieve. Perhaps a Legendary difficulty mode requiring over 3K that offers different avenues of progression.... maybe not even just for the player... but for the guild maybe. Vouchers.... etc.

In one of Cryptic's previous games, City of Heroes, you could adjust the difficulty level to have either more enemies, harder enemies, or more and harder enemies. They should do something similar here, (with appropriately scaled rewards, of course).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    linoge63linoge63 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 373 Arc User

In one of Cryptic's previous games, City of Heroes, you could adjust the difficulty level to have either more enemies, harder enemies, or more and harder enemies. They should do something similar here, (with appropriately scaled rewards, of course).

This would be ever so cool.
  • Options
    kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    I wonder if most of the players running around with 4K+ Item Level BiS characters did some kind of exploiting. It would cost thousands of dollars in zen to achieve that wouldn't it?