test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Prism, Burning Guidance and a Devotion OP (or 2, or more!)

jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
Hi there!

Thefabricant and I have been doing some silly tests with the Paladin. We both run a Devotion Paladin with a Justice/Prism build and Burning Guidance. Get two of those builds together and funky stuff happens. I recorded a fight with Syndrith in Epic Temple of the Spider.

At a couple of points you can see the game noticably slow down. Sometimes it's the constant stream of damage floaters from Burning Guidance which creates an FPS drop, other times it just... freezes the instance. At one point in the video the Driders fire the lasers at the same time. But the craziest thing about the whole thing is the damage. Thefabricant and I, both Paladins, walked out of that instance as top damage dealer. Myself at 98mil, him at 88 mil. Third place was for a CW. No inflated numbers, as it was our first attempt at her.

Also, because it seems Shield of Faith stacks and there's a bazillion ticks of Prism back and forth, we didn't need a tank. If it doesn't one-shot you, you'd be at full health nearly instantly.

>>> Click here! <<<

I'll try and record a Tiamat too. The framerate drop/lag in that ToS wasn't nearly as bad as what happens in Tiamat. It'll literally freeze the instance. I'd really like to see this fixed. The damage is nice, but majorly OP, and using Prism is nice, but sometimes you get everyone killed with lag.
Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.

Comments

• shillaenshillaen Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    Thefabricant and I have been doing some silly tests with the Paladin. We both run a Devotion Paladin with a Justice/Prism build and Burning Guidance. Get two of those builds together and funky stuff happens. I recorded a fight with Syndrith in Epic Temple of the Spider.

hi there, jae
    i know prism...but what is burning guidance? is it feat?
    thanks
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    Yes, it's a feat from Dread Ring. It applies 2000 damage in an AoE every time you heal a friendly player.
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    How does it work as a solo in a Dungeon? eg. W/O a another OP Devo w/Burning Guidance Boon?
    va8Ru.gif
    jaegernl wrote: »
    Yes, it's a feat from Dread Ring. It applies 2000 damage in an AoE every time you heal a friendly player.
    Player or Ally? If Ally might it trigger off healing a Companion?
    va8Ru.gif
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Companions boost the effect, yes, but it only really starts to shine when there's multiple people in range and hitting the target under the effect of Vow of Enmity.

It's not useful for solo at all, because you don't trigger Burning Guidance when healing yourself, and just your companion can't make Prism tick fast enough.
    jaegernl wrote: »
    Companions boost the effect, yes, but it only really starts to shine when there's multiple people in range and hitting the target under the effect of Vow of Enmity.

It's not useful for solo at all, because you don't trigger Burning Guidance when healing yourself, and just your companion can't make Prism tick fast enough.
    kk... Figured it would be interesting to try out. :)

Does Circle of Power affect the Burning Guidance boon?
    va8Ru.gif
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    I will explain it as best as possible here:

Mechanics of burning guidance:
    Burning guidance is an ability that has a chance to proc when the game makes an attempt to heal a character (There is an important distinction between making an attempt and actually healing, as even if a character is sat full health and you can't heal them, because you attempted to, there is a chance you proc burning guidance). When burning guidance procs, it hits for 2k damage as its base damage. Nothing (and I mean nothing) in the game procs off burning guidance, so you cannot apply plaguefire debuffs, or apply dots based off of the damage from burning guidance. Burning guidance has a chance to activate whenever you heal an ally, but it does not include yourself, so when running around solo, burning guidance won't do anything, unless you got a companion active. A companion is counted as an ally, so having a companion active and healing it can proc burning guidance. The damage of burning guidance can be buffed however, so things that increase damage will effect it and so will things that decrease damage, it is not piercing damage. With a good dc and a MoF SW, I have seen procs of BG hit for 11k+. It is important to note that as this is a proc, it has not target cap so long as all targets are within its AoE and furthermore, it has no ICD.

Mechanics of Bond of Virtue:
    Bond of Virtue attempts to heal all nearby allies, whenever the game attempts to heal a character (attempts to heal as clarified above), unlike the time above, you yourself are counted as an ally (I love how the wording of tooltips is inconsistent here). The interesting thing about bond of virtue, is that even if allies are at full health, it still attempts to heal them every time there is some healing attempt made on a character, so, it is trying to do something, that it might not be able to do, off of something that might not actually do anything. The heal that bond itself spreads between players seems small, 15% of the initial heal, however it has no target cap and no ICD between heals, so it can rapidly restore targets to full health and each time it attempts to heal characters, even if based off a single heal, every single attempt on a different character from the same source is counted as a separate heal, giving it insane healing and proccing capabilities.

Mechanics of Vow of Enmity:
    Vow of enmity is a single target ability that, when applied to a target, causes you and all allies (Once again, you are an ally, this needs to be made consistent) to heal for some random value if you hit the target. (I have no idea what this value is based off of and it would be nice if someone could clarify it, gl working that out with all the pally heal procs) Like the above, There is no ICD or target cap, so in tiamat, every single player in the instance will be able to heal off of this, making this the tyrannical threat of healing. An interesting fact here is that an fast repetitive damage procs will cause this to make rapid, seperate, individual healing attempts, each with their own chance of proccing burning guidance. This means that a SW can cause many procs repetitively, or any other fast ticking dot. Also, the damage from burning guidance synergises with this as each time it hits, it converts the damage into more healing, creating, in effect, a loop between vow of enmity and burning guidance which is accelerated and augmented by all of the other pally mechanics.

Mechanics of prism:
    When you activate a daily power, prism activates, which causes all allies (people other then yourself this time, got to love consistency) to be healed within a 20 second time period whenever you are healed. It has no ICD, no target cap and I suspect it is instance wide or at least has a massive area. Take note, that every single time bond of virtue or vow of enmity attempts to heal you either directly or indirectly, it will then shove these heals onto everyone else, which will subsequently get shoved back onto you by bond. All these heals have a chance to proc burning guidance, which then damages your avowed target, which then procs vow again, creating a giant loop.

Mechanics of Aura of Courage:
    Aura of courage deals damage to an opponent based off a % of your life, whenever you or an ally within the radius of the aura deal damage to an opponent. DoT's do NOT proc this damage off the first hit or ANY of the subsequent hits and neither does burning guidance. However, if an ally takes damage dealt to them by another ally, aura of courage will hit them. The hit does not need to even do any damage, in fact, it only needs to register as a hit, not even be a hit, so dealing 0 damage to a target will still follow up with damage from aura of courage. Aura of Courage CANNOT proc off of itself directly, so it will not self loop. It has no ICD, making it highly potent. This damage is buffable, just like the damage of burning guidance.

Mechanics of Aura of Vengeance:
    If you or an ally takes damage and you or they are within the Aura range, then damage = to a % of your weapon damage is dealt to the aggressor. An interesting fact is that if an ally damages another ally, it does not seem like aura of vengeance hits the aggressor, even though aura of courage will hit that ally. Once again, no ICD.

Other interactions:
    SW warlock's bargain (It damages a member of the party and causes them to self murder, you are using aura of courage)
    Hunters Slasher's mark (It hits party members for 0 damage whenever it gives stamina, each hit can proc aura of courage)
    I suspect that the way buff effects are coded in the game is that they are ALL physical hits for 0 damage, meaning that, what I suspect, is that anything, even chaotic growth, will cause courage to hit a member of the party. This is not confirmed, but it can be tested and I think it is fairly important to compile a list of all abilities that do count as a physical hit for 0 damage, in the event that not all of them do.
    A really funny interaction is that tank ability that makes them get bigger when they take damage, plus slashers mark, plus aura of courage, plus KV, so long as you can out heal the aura. When we tested this in elol, we had a tank bigger then lostmauth due to the slashers loop. It will lead to tuns of laughter when you see it.

Hope that helps to shed clarity on what you are seeing above.
    ^^^ Now that's what I call an explanation! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • shillaenshillaen Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    -o-....yea...*clap*
    thanks thefabricant
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    Those loops are also why you get extra lag when hanging out with Devotion OPs speced for Justice.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • aunslautaunslaut Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Thanks for putting this all together, Jaegernl and Thefabricant. I had some questions I was hoping you could answer.

Have you ever tried a Briartwine enchantment, in particular with PvP? I haven't tried or tested it, but after running my Devotion/Justice Pally and coming across your posts, I have been trying to think of other applications. If I am correct, a Briartwine enchantment would cause you to be healed every time that you are hit by someone that has been marked with your Vow of Enmity, making you extremely hard to kill. Of course, if you are facing more than one opponent or someone with huge damage spikes, this might not help too much, but I was interested in getting your input.

Also, you mentioned that DoT's don't proc Aura of Courage, but how do they work with Vow of Enmity and something like a plaguefire enchantment? Would you get a heal of each of the plaguefire procs too?

Again thanks for putting this all together for us.
    aunslaut said:

Thanks for putting this all together, Jaegernl and Thefabricant. I had some questions I was hoping you could answer.

Have you ever tried a Briartwine enchantment, in particular with PvP? I haven't tried or tested it, but after running my Devotion/Justice Pally and coming across your posts, I have been trying to think of other applications. If I am correct, a Briartwine enchantment would cause you to be healed every time that you are hit by someone that has been marked with your Vow of Enmity, making you extremely hard to kill. Of course, if you are facing more than one opponent or someone with huge damage spikes, this might not help too much, but I was interested in getting your input.

Also, you mentioned that DoT's don't proc Aura of Courage, but how do they work with Vow of Enmity and something like a plaguefire enchantment? Would you get a heal of each of the plaguefire procs too?

Again thanks for putting this all together for us.

They do proc vow, although they do not proc aura of courage. I have tested with brairtwine and it doesn't make that much of a difference, neither do any armour enchantments for the purposes of PVE honestly, you so tanky, that it doesn't really matter what armour enchant you run. I am strongly considering going with elven battle just so that I can deal with stuns as they are more of a concern then damage. In terms of Burning guidance, the nerf has killed devotion OP's damage as well as the issues discussed in this thread however our ability to heal and our tankyness is still hard to rival (with the exception of our protection brothers, they are tankier, but can't heal like we can). If you have any other questions though, feel free to ask :)
  • aunslautaunslaut Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Did they implement the Burning Guidance changes with the Underdark expansion? I'm on Xbox and Burning Guidance still works with no ICD.
    Yes, with the underdark expansion.
  • soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    So is burning guidance even worth the boon investment with the nerf?
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin
    soonergm said:

So is burning guidance even worth the boon investment with the nerf?

Definitely, it is still better then all the alternatives, its just not the "super amazing 90% of your dps" it was before.