test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about Rogues and Dexterity and ...

kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
I am confused after reading this on a youtube video about a TR build:

snip
-----------------------------------------
Gaël Renault 4 months ago
+GameLoot Storage I don't think dex matters that much since your crit chance is 100% in stealth. Deflect is important though and i'm not sure if dex or char gives that stat. I went with halfling as his deflect is basically higher. Then my gear is similar to yours, just went for the gf sigil instead of revelation. good build nevertheless
Reply ·

john benasi 2 months ago
+Gaël Renault dex is not needed for perma stealth build not for executioner if you have ex you cant Land crits every time you hit on stealth in order to do that you need Saboteur
Reply ·
-----------------------------------------
snip

They both say Dexterity does not matter much for a Rogue. Then the second guy adds Executioners cannot land crits everytime in stealth, for that you need to go Saboteur.

I don't understand this. I looked all over but cannot find anything that says Saboteur auto-crits while in stealth. Where is that explained in-game?

And if this is all correct, than why is Dexterity a main attribute of Rogues, and should it therefore be totally ignored? Somehow this feels wrong since everytime I inspect uber rogues they usually have very high Dexterity.

So confused by these guys posts.

Comments

• Options
    hedgebethedgebet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 447 Arc User
    Just to be thorough: TR hits will crit when used from stealth regardless of TR build. I think they are implying that the executioner tends to use stealth auto crits for encounters and thus will not have stealth available for every attack, where the saboteur has an easier method of maintaining stealth and can land all hits from stealth if they really really wish to (albeit at a possibly reduced rate of fire depending). How these variations use stealth tends to differ from pvp to group to solo and depends on how challenging they find the content but that of course is mostly obvious.

For a saboteur, dex does not really matter as much since stealth can cover one defensively and the deflection from it is not as important (side note, I have one TR that is bugged and is pursued by NPC's while in stealth and ignored when visible -- I reported this bug over a year ago and as most things in this game I abandoned that it will ever be fixed even though I found the cause for it).

For an executioner dex can be more valuable (again depending on playstyle and type) since they will tend to make more hits from out of stealth.

One problem with dex and its value for auto crits is that strength for a TR will always end up generating more damage than dex. These issues with auto crit from stealth, the fact that dex is a primary stat for a TR when rolling and is emphasized as such, and other related issues were brought up when the TR class rework was performed. It is because of just how obviously poor dexterity was as a stat choice for a TR that the deflect bonus for dex was increased from +.5 to +1 just to make it not as bad of a choice to focus on.

There is more on this issue and other things to be considered, but I get irritated when I think on it too much and the poor decisions that were made in the redesign and the current bugs still floating about that I will leave it alone.
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    Funny... no mention of Scoundrels.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    hedgebethedgebet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 447 Arc User
    Dex is probably best for scoundrels since they tend to be out of stealth the most of the three.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    The situation is pretty easy to explain. We have to distinguish between pvp and pve and lets assume you have a perfect vorpal.
    In pve dex is about 2 times better than strenght and this holds true regardless your class specialization.
    Your main damage source is duelist flurry which deplete stealth at a crazy rate. When using duelist flurry the hidden stealth usage capabilities of the tree you have choosen are just meaningless.
    In pvp you can decide the velocity of the fight, you can manage at wills and so on to basically crit always even without additional dex, just because you are stealthed.
    This is way easier as saboteur which in pvp dont really need dex much, harder as executioner (dex is not that bad here), impossible for well player scoundrel (dex is probably the way to go). Finally we have to remember that without a perfect vorpal in pvp a critical hit hits for less than a normal hit, so there are people which intentionally decide to not crit when possible