test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question on lightning enchantment?

silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
I recently moved my vorp to my gwf.. put a trans plague on my cw.. and I frankly hate it.. I have lost nearly 1/4 of my damage, plus on the other hand.. its a fairly prevelent enchant.. not even sure , even though I spread it faster then maybe some other classes, its worth the trade off.. I could of course either start building a feytouched for my gwf.. to move the vorp back, or Ive been thinking of trying out the lightning enchant. Frankly its fairly cheap.. I could buy 4 normal's now and build it when I have some extra AD on hand. Plus I like having different enchants to play with.

How does this work on the CW? Will it be a in-between damage type? or.. dont bother?

Comments

• Options
    bkt5789bkt5789 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    Plague fire is really good for control wizards who value debuffing and buffing above personal damage. The combination of a mof renegade running plague fire just makes killing things for the pasty really melty... Especially with a tact gf using into the fray...

Vorpal is best for personal dps for high crit builds, you can't go wrong with that at all... And feytouched looked good but I don't like that if more than two in a party use it, who knows if you're getting the buff from it..

As for lightning, it has potential to have some very good synergy with a renegade feat... Lightning enchant's arc jumps trigger Abyss of chaos on their own, so I don't need a 2nd person/companion to deal the damage. Each target I hit with an encounter, procs the arc on their own, so for example Steal Time can deal damage up to 5 enemies, 4 times. Each enemy hit, activates the Lightning arc that deals damage to other 3 enemies, which then proc Abyss of Chaos.

Keep in mind there is a lot in here that does not crit. Spell storm, abyss of chaos, and lightning enchant don't crit. But the crits are still there with the lostmauth set is easily still 20% of your damage but with a lightning enchant like this you'll see a flurry a yellow numbers.

I would say pure lightning is a pretty good enchant due to this fact.
  • Options
    hugienwnhugienwn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    My main is a CW Master of Flame 3.5k TIL with ~19k power and ~16k crit, and while vorpal provides better DPS hands-down, (Trans) Lightning is my personal favorite enchant to use for several reasons:

(1) BETTER VFX: The arcs will dazzle all your friends. ;)

(2) BETTER SURVIVABILITY: With many arcs of lightning damage comes many lifesteal procs. With my lifesteal up around ~10%, a single cast of Steal Time will take me to full health basically no matter what, assuming there are 3+ mobs being struck.

(3) BETTER CONTROL. This is the big one: lightning arcs aren't all for show! They also cause foes to do a little stagger-step each time said foe is hit by an arc. This isn't documented in the enchantment's text, but if a mob is being hit continuously by lightning (e.g. you just dropped Icy Terrain or you're mid-cast of Steal Time), I've found that they are able to perform their attacks far less frequently, as they're too busy being shocked.

So, while it's not going to give you as much damage as vorpal if you're crit-based, I personally have loved it. And if Cryptic one day introduces enemies who are immune to critical hits, you'll be cackling with lightning spraying everywhere while all the vorpalers gnash their teeth in despair. :)

Hit me up with a PM in-game (Nyvaril@hugienwn) if you want to see lightning in action on my CW. Always happy to spread the oft-overlooked & underrated lightning enchant!
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    @silverkelt @bkt5789
    You guys might be interested in this

If you're planning to use the Lightning enchant on the CW, the only way to benefit from it is by using a Pure or higher and by combining it with Abyss of Chaos. The lightning arc jumps each trigger Abyss of Chaos, Abyss however is not affected by power, crit chance or crit severity, so this is a huge drawback of the combo in terms of scaling.

Abyss of Chaos is a Renegade CW feat that works as the following: I hit a mob with an encounter to mark it with Abyss of Chaos. If an ally hits the monster (with whatever damage source), it procs Abyss and deals 60% of my weapon damage. Damage multipliers apply to this numbers, so the damage ranges from 1500 to 4000 for me when I'm alone.

Now, the Lightning enchant's arc jumps trigger Abyss on their own, so I don't need a 2nd person/companion to deal the damage. Each target I hit with an encounter, procs the arc on their own, so for example Steal Time can deal damage up to 5 enemies, 4 times. Each enemy hit, activates the Lightning arc that deals damage to other 3 enemies, which then proc Abyss of Chaos.

Like I previously said, the main problem with this is the scaling. If you're using this build as an SS CW, your best bet is Renegade with Spell Twisting and stacking Recovery. Your single target will suffer a lot, AOE will be fun as hell, lifesteal will proc like crazy and if something can't 1hit you, you will most likely survive by just facetanking with around 10-15% lifesteal.
    Use Lostmauth, Storm Spell, Pure (or higher) Lightning and Abyss of chaos with the following encounters:
    Tab: Conduit of Ice (each tick applies lostmauth, lightning proc and arcs, abyss of chaos, storm spell)
    Icy Terrain (same as conduit)
    Steal Time (first tick applies lostmauth, first 4 ticks apply lightning proc and arcs, first 4 ticks apply storm spell, first tick applies abyss)
    Sudden Storm
    Chilling Cloud
    Storm Pillar (Quick casts can be used to proc the Chaotic buffs, if you're in combat, even without a target and you can still proc Abyss + lightning arcs to clear low hp mobs)
    Chilling Presence
    Storm Spell

The reason why you want to stack Recovery is because of recharge speed mainly. You want to be able to cast continuously to proc as many lightning arcs, storm spell and lostmauth procs as possible. You will still need 60+% crit chance for this build to be effective. Lostmauth and Storm Spell are still proccedd off of crits, Abyss and Lightning however don't benefit from it at all.

Lostmauth procs:
    + scales with crit chance
    + scales with crit sev
    + scales with power

Storm Spell procs:
    + scales with crit chance
    I only offhand doubleproc scales with crit sev
    - doesn't crit

Lightning procs and arcs:
    - doesn't scale with power
    - doesn't scale with crit chance
    - doesn't scale with crit sev

Abyss of Chaos:
    + Focused Wizardry properly applies +30% damage to it
    - doesn't scale with power
    - doesn't scale with crit chance
    - doesn't scale with crit sev

The only thing that influences the Lightning procs' and Abyss DPS are Combat Advantage, Debuffs on targets, Buffs on you (chaotic fury +30% damage), Armor Pen, frequency of proccing the lightning arcs.

This build is not the best out there, no arguing about that, but it is capable of clearing all of the content presented by the game right now. It suffers in single target fights, but there are always adds you can take care of.

Get an OP to use aura of courage, you'll PC will lag out if you cast a full combo in Valindra's Tower agaiinst the first big group of mobs. You'll literally see a number carpet, about 3x as big as this one in the video:

http://giant.gfycat.com/WindyFirsthandAddax.webm
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    Just make another Vorpal.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Lightning would probably be good for an oppressor who dipped into renegade for abyss.
  • Options
    bkt5789bkt5789 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I like terror on my oppressor build... Roots