test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Perfect Vorpal vs Perfect Plague Fire

johnjohniiijohnjohniii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 108 Arc User
which one and why? I'd really love some help and advice. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    attero30attero30 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    For Pve - Vorpal, for pvp - Feytouched
  • Options
    akanaroakanaro Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Vorpal is great for high crit chance/crit severity builds. For any other build go with whatever works best in your group.
  • Options
    massey08massey08 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Keep in mind, I am new (started at mod 6 beginning), so please enlighten me if I'm wrong to those who are veterans and know the mechanics/are fairly apt with statistics (and please provide information on why my logic is flawed. I prefer reasoning over "feel")

If someone has a high base critical severity prior to vorpal, wouldnt it potentially be better to go for some other enchantment? I have 124% critical severity, but when I'm done I plan on 140 to 150% without vorpal. Proportionally, vorpal gets a diminishing return in this matter doesn't it? At some point there would have to be an equilibrium - of which, once surpassed, other enchantments would be more suitable, correct? The big hub-bub about vorpal in the past was that there were very few things you could do to amplify your base critical severity (mod 5?). When those tests were conducted, was it not taken into account that ther could be an equilibrium point in which the addative value of critical severity could be proportionally diminished in a manner that would make other enchantments more suitable? i.e. only 1/6th of your damage output comes from vorpal severity at 150% critical severity + vorpal. (technically 100% damage +150% critical damage +50%critical damage totaling 300%). In this instance, wouldn't it be more beneficial party wise, etc. to use plague fire?

I had tested it on test server and sure strike consistently did 20k damage more on crits than with Transcendant vorpal; The plaguefire enchantment was only rank 10. Since sure strike was 39% of my DPS at that point, and Indomitable battle strike was only 10% wouldnt it be more sensible to use Plague fire? (35% DPS was sure strikes contribution using Transcendant due to Lostmauth set being more effective via added crit severity, @ 29% total DPS; conversely with plagefire this number dropped to 25% total output. I do like seeing the 500k critical strikes on indomitable battle strike with vorpal though lol; It only did 350k with plaguefire)

EDIT: DPS was higher than vorpal by only about 50k damage at it's peak with full stacks of destroyer capstone + destoryer feature & weaponmaster strike. It may very well be even if I had 100% critical strike instead of only 84% at that time though. But it still stands (in my opinion) that Plague fire seems to be more effective when stacked with other party members. - And then there's the fact that I was able to sell my greater vorpal in the real game to make 1.3M AD and converted it to get the 20 Enchanted key+Dusk Boots as well... I may be slightly biased to the cheap price of plague fire lol.
  • Options
    johnjohniiijohnjohniii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 108 Arc User
    massey08 said:

If someone has a high base critical severity prior to vorpal, wouldnt it potentially be better to go for some other enchantment? I have 124% critical severity, but when I'm done I plan on 140 to 150% without vorpal.

how???
  • Options
    massey08massey08 Member Posts: 12 Arc User

massey08 said:

If someone has a high base critical severity prior to vorpal, wouldnt it potentially be better to go for some other enchantment? I have 124% critical severity, but when I'm done I plan on 140 to 150% without vorpal.

how???
    Wildstorm Elixir = +10% Active Companion bonus (Erinyes of Belial) +5% Squash soup +5% Major/Superior flask of potency + 7.5% ; All stack, + 15% crit severity from GwF heroic Feat, + Tyrany of Dragon's Last boon 1/3 (5%) + base 75% +2% (IWD boon)

With Dancing Sword, added and maxed, +5% more Severity; +Upgraded Erinyes of Belial +another 5% crit severity; +Finished Tyrany of dragon boon (3% more) + Boar: Active companion bonus @ Epic = 3%; Potential to get 15% more via Half orc race change + Cambion magus if it becomes obtainable again. (25M AD is outta my budget lol). Potential random buff from adorable pocket pet could occasionally add another 5% yielding a total of 160.5% critical severity.

This is my reasoning on why vorpal isn't the end-all be-all as everyone would assume.

Previously it may have been very effective relative to what was available when the original guide was put out. However, I feel that people forget that this "Critical Severity" is a damage amplifier -Of which is reliant on your critical chance. Other enchantments will add to your damage output -prior to being a critical strike, - and if this is the case, your base 100% damage is increased further, heightening the value of which is being amplified.

I'm not sure on the entire mechanics of damage output, as things probably have changed since Kaelick's guide, but it seems that "Weapon Damage" is the substance from which all other multipliers draw on; and if it's adding weapon damage, it's amplifiying through encounter/at-will constants, and then amplifying furthermore through the critical severity, as well as added debuffs that alternative enchantments may apply.
  • Options
    fastrean3fastrean3 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    Wow, a new gwf super star is rising up :D
  • Options
    digoliftdigolift Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    for me you math to get this crit severity is a mess
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Crit IBS with Vorp or without is a big difference...run ACt and watch that numbers
    Vorp works better with my poor GWF than PF
    PF is for tank, Healer, supporter, you are responsible for the damage
    PVE vorp
    PVP feytouched