test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How are new Foundry authors noticed?

jaxxxorixjaxxxorix Member Posts: 125 Arc User
Hi all.

I've got a new campaign started with two older quests. Both made quite a while ago. I've managed to get them published, but had a hell of a time actually finding them when I used the "search".

I'm curious, how can new authors have their work checked out when their quests are crushed under a pile of others?

Comments

• guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    To tell the truth.. we don't. Our works mostly get completely ignored by the general players of this game. PWE does nothing to help us promote our works (foundry creations don't generate money)... the rewards for playing these quests totally suck.. the tools don't allow us to create the best works... and most of the players don't seem interested in anything we have to offer. The search system is totally wonked... the most any author can hope for is a few plays by other authors. Welcome to the few, the proud, .... the forsaken. If this company would support this foundry, like they implied they would when this was a new game.. perhaps you would find it rewarding ... but as it stands now. there are very few foundry authors left. The foundry was one of the BIG selling points to this game and it offered an unlimited supply of new content. But this company completely abandoned any support for this aspect of their game. Unfortunately, this is supposed to be a DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS game... but somehow they have turned it into a poor version of World of Warcraft.... it's all about milking every last penny from the player until they figure out that this game is a rip off.... just look at how the players have left this game BY THE THOUSANDS... now the moderators will delete my post... what else is new. It's too bad that the Wizards of the Coast licensed this game to a half-assed outfit from Beijing... now.. moderators.. delete my post... I fully expect it.
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    It's not easy. It's not easy.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    jaxxxorix said:

I'm curious, how can new authors have their work checked out when their quests are crushed under a pile of others?

Honestly, there's no real way for new authors to do it honestly. It was a problem people identified from pretty much day one.

I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
    I would like to apologize for my previous flaming rant. I seem to get very frustrated with this game/company at times. To answer the original poster's question... It's rather difficult to get noticed or to get plays. Might I suggest that you advertise your works in every way that you can. Asking your friends to play your creations.. trade reviews (once they fix this, of course)... everything helps a little. But, seriously, don't expect much any more. The general population won't even try the foundry quests.. there is just no reason to do so.... and once in a while, when someone does try a foundry, most often they just select one that looks interesting... but they find a complete dud... thus the players have just about stopped playing foundries... which is a shame. PWE does not really support foundry works as it doesn't provide any direct income. This seems a bit short-sighted but it's the path they have taken. I would also suggest you join up with the face book group 'Cryptic Foundry Authors'... these are some great people who really support each other. My own works, which are all rated at nearly 5 stars for all of them, RARELY get any plays if I don't ask for them.... so keep plugging along. Maybe sometime in the future, PWE will see the diamond they have here and decide to support it a bit.
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    Use the foundry tittles.

Put your foundries in your character's bio. (Those players who like foundries probably will read your bio.)

Advertise whenever you can, but in a seductive way, not spaming like the bots.

But now, with the review system bug, it's even more difficult to get noticed, to not to talk about the endless grinding you need to get the new armors/weapons of the new mod.

At the end of your foundry, do a dialog asking to suscribe the author if the player liked the foundry.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • rezuron#1946 rezuron Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    You know that Foundry Review System is broken, right?
    Then you shouldn't bother cuz marks can give you better position.
    If you want someone to play your creation you should make a discussion in Foundry Quest Database. Maybe some Authors will play it, maybe me or guitarzan698 or valcontar73. Then we will write a comment with feedback. That's all.
    You can ask your friends to play it, but to be honest all above is truth. Don't expect much.
    There is group on Facebook for Foundry Authors, you can join it. Then do the same. Post your Foundry, let authors play it, they will give you feedback, maybe some advice. That's it.
    Maybe, just maybe it will be better when (if???) Cryptik repair Foundry Review Sytem.

And one more thing. We don't expect that from you, but it would be very nice if you would play ours Foundry (From Quest Database, forum, group on facebook etc.). You know, one today, one tomorrow, one in a week. Just to give us some feedback.
    An added note... it helps if you can try to complete your work as much as possible.. this will help prevent low ratings. Foundries that are highly rated will get more plays... a few bad reviews can kill your work to the bottom of the pile.
  • jaxxxorixjaxxxorix Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    Thanks all for the replies! This sheds a lot of light for me. I've been away from the game for a while now. I'm beginning to remember why I stopped playing. I don't like how PWE conducts business...so long as the money keeps funneling who cares about the most important and unique features of this game, right? I'll check out the Facebook page and what you have all authored. May also spend some time in the Sword Coast Legends campaign creator. That game has disappointed a lot of people at launch, I think it shows a lot more promise than Neverwinter, though. I just pray it never ends up in the hands of a company like PWE...
    While you're here... if you like ... check out my quests... "The Last Outpost" and the sequel "Fortress of Ultimate Evil". Thanks... and happy to help in any way.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Another thing to do, and don't rush this one, is to submit it for Feature. I would suggest having several other authors look over it before doing so. There are often many details that you don't catch or haven't considered that can help polish your quest. It may be difficult to get other authors' attention, as many have left, and taken their knowledge with them. There is no list of "active" authors, and the guild many reviewers belonged to seems to have become dormant. Once the quest is Featured, it is given a different file name, and is unable to be further modified (this is why my quest has a version 2 in parentheses.) With the Review System down, it's probably not the best time to submit any quests until something is remedied.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    I don't think they have featured any new quests in quite some time.
    I would say this is a bad time to try to get your foundry work out, since the review system is off there isn't much that can be done for now. i hope they eventually fix it though.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    I'm trying to use this downtime to make my creations absolutely perfect...
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    Just going to repeat what others have said. Ask friends and guildmates. Ask fellow authors, In the foundry zone chat, on the quest database here in these forums, the facebook page. Do trade reviews. Ask people to send you message in game or post in the quest database for feedback until the review system is fixed. I highly recommend that before you submit for featuring, because 1) It's been a while since anything was featured 2) Work out all the bugs you can.
    I'll run it!
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
  • orozuorozu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    What about a Crowdfunding Foundry like other games have used for new maps ect. it would keep players interested and posting how and what they plan to develop and have a real reward system for supporting new development.
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    I bribe my guildmembers... lol

If enough of them play it and rank it high enough, it might show up under the "New" tab.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • dzaimsdzaims Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Oh, the review system is un-broken? Yeah, my guildies (including Waryur) are supportive of our Foundry efforts as well. Be nice to get them running Foundry again.
    Ancient Spirits officer

NW-DM9Pj62ZK 'Bear with Me'
    NW-DOPPZAYKQ 'Retirement Plans'
    NW-DKJMLS8OQ 'Sleepy in Cea Tull'

• flamecoveredmoonflamecoveredmoon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I enjoy running through foundry quests. I especially like the ones that continue a storyline over the course of a few.

I found those by Tipa (I think it was her anyway - it may have been someone else), through their showing and sharing about their creations over on Google Plus. They blogged about it too. Maybe try that if you blog?

I hope the foundry gets fixed soon. I wanted to start creating a few little adventures but everytime I try to access the Foundry, NW crashes :(