test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Patrol Pathing On Indoor Maps

imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
I posted this on the mechanics subforum, but I'm guessing not many people actually go there, since it's only been viewed once.
So, I'm reposting it here. If anyone has any answers, I'd love to hear them.

I'm still having some issues with my patrols on my current project.
I resolved the problem with the Foundry deciding on its own which door a patrol would path through, by making sure that in the direction I wanted to go, there was only one door available. I hit my room cap and came darned close to the door cap doing this, and it's the first time that's ever happened to me.
So, with that resolved, I got my patrols in place. They look great, the go through the doors I want them to, and it's not giving me any errors.
Then I play the map.
My patrols are moving a bit, then either embedding themselves in walls that they shouldn't be going anywhere near, or wandering up to a room-connecting doorway and stopping there.
I'm using a combination of Dungeon and Dungeon Builder rooms, all with standard Dungeon doorways (no generic connections between rooms).

Does anyone have any solutions for this issue?

-- @Gruffydd

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    Have you made sure the patrol points in the 3D preview are right where you want them?
    I usually put them a couple feet off the ground just to make sure.​​
  • Options
    waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    I second what Eldarth said. Check in 3D mode. Sometimes you have to re-adjust the height of the patrol points, even if duplicated them. Couple feet above ground seems to work.
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    I actually did have them all 4' off the ground, as I learned that lesson back when I was making my first quest, and tried to path through some cave openings. Unfortunately, it still wasn't working right.
    Then I published, and tested in live play. The patrols worked much better.
    Apparently, as with so many other things, they just don't work as well in Foundry testing as they do in live play.

It's probably been like this for a very long time, and I just didn't know because I rarely build indoors.
    Usually I build my maps outdoors (even if they include indoor areas) because I like to make contiguous move-from-outdoors-to-inside maps, and I usually feel like I have more design flexibility when working outdoors. In this case, though, I needed to take advantage of the "free details" provided by using the walls of the rooms and built-in lighting options instead of creating all of the halls and rooms out of details, as I hit my detail cap hard this time.