test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Questions on Text and Costumes

josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
Hi all! Was just wondering if there is a limit to the number of "costumes" (non-default) you can have in a quest and also if there was a way to get text to appear on the screen without having to use an objective+area marker combo?
If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!

Comments

• torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    dunno if there is a costume limit.

place marker + negative token (if player dOESNT have this item) = red text on screen i think
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    1) Costume limit is (if I remember right) 50. It's not listed in the budgets.

2) The only way I know of other than objective+area marker to get text on the screen requires an interaction. Here's how it works:
    * Create an object. I usually call mine "Negative Trigger". This object will never actually be loaded into play. It's there to not be there.
    * Wherever you want the red text to appear, create an interactable. I like to use the 10x10x1 invisible plane or the 10' invisible cylinder as my interact, for a couple of reasons. Since it's invisible there's no sparkle. They won't know it's there until the reach it. Also, since it is invisible, if you turn off collision, they can wander around in the middle of it being prompted to interact, without blocking the view of whatever is around them. (To turn off collision, make the interactable visible only to those who have the Negative Trigger object, then reverse the conditions using the checkbox.)
    * Set the interactable as needing the Negative Trigger to complete the interaction. Enter the text you want to appear as the interaction failure text.
    The end result of all of this is that the player enters the interact area, and is prompted to press F to do whatever it is you entered (ex: "Press F to examine the writing."). On pressing F, the red text message appears on their screen and in their chat box. Since it's an interact fail, it doesn't turn off, so if they want to see it again once it goes away, that interact will still be there.

If anyone else comes up with a way to get the text to appear on the screen, I'd love to hear about it. The way described above is the only way I've figured out to do it.

-- @Gruffydd
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    Thanks guys! Definitely learned new stuff! :)

For hard mode: Is there a version of the "Negative Trigger" thing which will spit a message without the player needing to press "F" - eg. just by walking into an area? Again this is without using marker + objective combo. I've got a sneaking suspicion it's not possible atm but am hoping I'm wrong.
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User

Thanks guys! Definitely learned new stuff! :)

For hard mode: Is there a version of the "Negative Trigger" thing which will spit a message without the player needing to press "F" - eg. just by walking into an area? Again this is without using marker + objective combo. I've got a sneaking suspicion it's not possible atm but am hoping I'm wrong.

Not that I'm aware of, and I've gone digging through looking for such things.
    Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware the only ways to get text are Marker+Objective and Negative Trigger+Interact.

-- @Gruffydd